Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 03:28 PM

271 posts, read 306,399 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this thread has been discussed before but which decade had the most change from the start to the end - I would vote the 1960s and 1990s. The 1960s because of Classic Rock - from teen idol music to Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Motown. The 1990s because of change in technology - the lp pretty much went extinct and transformed to CDS and downloaded music. I'm a Baby Boomer so I really don't pay attention to much current music. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 12:56 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Good topic.

I would agree with you, but narrow it down to the years 1964-69. The Beatles for instance. From Hard Day's Night to Tomorrow Never Knows - this was a mere 3 years in between songs. But a huge leap forward.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:55 PM

2,895 posts, read 2,144,574 times
I see one as a change in music and the other as a change back to how music is sold.

I suppose you could argue the change back to what is essentially a model of singles changes the music. did the change to the LP format change the music in the 60s or allow for the change? did artists drive the change with the music? are artists now less likely to put together a good album because they are going for the quick pop hit? I don't know but it's something to think about I suppose.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:32 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,953 times
I think the biggest change in my opinion was from the 2000’s to the 2010’s. For starters the demand for streaming platforms change the music landscape completely, with many hip hop/trap artists like Drake, Gucci Mane, Young Thug, Migos, etc., becoming huge. Hip Hop/trap surpassed rock in an unprecedented way. This also led the way for the increase in popularity of urban latin music, which now dominates music charts like Bad Bunny, Maluma, and obviously the song “Despacito” which became the highest charting song of all time.

As a rock fan myself, rock kind of dissapeared from mainstream music in the 2010 decade. Sure there were rock bands releasing good music, but from a mainstream perspective, irrelevant.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times
From the moment the Beatles hit the American charts in late 1963, a seismic boom was about to occur. In comes the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dave Clark Five, Moody Blues, Animals, Yardbirds, Hermans Hermits, Kinks, Cilla Black, Dusty Springfield, Chad and Jeremy, Peter and Gordon, Searchers, Hollies, Swingin' Blue Jeans, Petula Clark, Freddy and the Dreamers, Marianne Faithful, Jackie DeShannon, Zombies, Georgie Fame, and many others that were running the charts.

Out goes Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Orlons, Fleetwoods, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Dee Dee Sharpe, Dovells, and others. There were several that were able to stay on the music scene for several years such as Rick Nelson, Leslie Gore, Dion, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Little Anthony/Imperials, Paul Anka, Duane eddy, Four Seasons, and others.

Before the Beatles came on the scene, rock and roll were losing people to death; people like Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Richie Valens, Johnny Burnette, Johnny Horton, Eddie Cochran, and others.

And right about that time a young Bob Dylan was saying "The Times, They Are A Changin'."

They sure were.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
If we define a decade by conventional means (a period spanning years that end with 0 and 9), then I’d go with the 70’s. They were a very transformative period, that led to the creation of new genres of music. The 70’s gave us hard rock, heavy metal, progressive rock and punk. All of these played huge roles in the development of popular music, that still resonates to this very day.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
80s, when the sequencer was introduced to music. Since then almost all music genres used some type of music sequencer. Go listen to any music before sequencers were introduced. Eventually all dance music are mix of disco and sequencers to newer electronic music completely sequenced by software.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 884,020 times
There were several events not directly related to music composition that caused changes:

1. Introduction of the 10-inch 78 limited most compositions to 3.5 minutes (the length of one side). At the same time, radio designed show formats around this limit. Record changers later allowed classical music to be played with short breaks as records changed.

2. World War I changed the music to wartime material.

3. The advent of music unions spelled the end of the big bands.

4. The Depression and World War II again changed music.

5. The invention of the LP record allowed longer pieces to be recorded.

6. The Beatles started a new kind of rock music never heard before.

7. The Vietnam War and the anti-government movement spawned new musical topics.

8. The Internet happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music