Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

hi,
I'm thinking about picking up a musical instrument.
i'm very eager and very motivated to learn.

my question about learning the Guitar.....how many 1 hour sessions with a professional instructor would i need to have to be able to start playing my favorite songs?
i understand that it depends on me practicing at home as well, so perhaps you can talk to that as well.

I'm 31, and although i have had this passion for a while, i haven't picked it up till now.....but i shall wait no more! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Well everyone is different when it comes to musical aptitude. With guitar you are going to have to work on hand strength and dexterity.

Planet Waves Varigrip Hand Exerciser | Musician's Friend

^^^ get that for strength building. It will help you move forward faster.

Tips:
- use extra light or light gauge strings
- elixir brand strings are coated so they are easier on your fingers than traditional uncoated
- using a classical nylon string guitar can be easier to learn dexterity without the strings cutting into your fingertips
- while waiting for a callus to build up - if you are practicing and your fingers tips start to burn or get blood dots (yes that happens) you can put a thin coating of superglue on your fingertips to avoid the string cutting into your finger
- get a chromatic tuner - it will help you tune your guitar. If you get one with a built in mic you can also work on your voice. I suggest to get one with a mic for being able to tune electric or acoustic.
- scales are great for improving dexterity.

Reading tab for popular songs is easy. You can do that right now. Reading music though will take some time.

How to Read Guitar Tablature - Learning Guitar
^^^how to read tab

Basically the top line is the skinny string and the bottom line is the fattest string. You read left to right just like words. The numbers are where you press down with your finger. If it says "0" then that just means it open and you strum it.
If there is a little x on it that means you mute it. More details in link.

In the lessons I had when I started the teacher would go over technical stuff and real music and then we would have one fun song with tab per lesson. I did that on the second lesson but I was practicing alone before for strength and play a bunch of different other instruments including the violin.

What is your favorite type of song you want to play?
That can also be a factor in how long it will take you.

If you want to google some tab just to look at you will see all songs are REALLY different in complexity when it comes to guitar. If you come across any songs where it has a chord name you can google that chord to see what it is.

Have fun!

And if you have a tennis ball or something like that around you can start exercising you hand by squeezing that till you get your hand exerciser.

Be prepared for forearm pain. It happens. Learning guitar is like a workout.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
If you are talking about simple chords, you need absolutely zero professional training to play the simplest patterns of some of your favorite songs. You need to simply visit a few web sites and/or tab sites and get the fingering and timing down.

I'm not saying learning guitar is easy, there is a steap learning curve, but many pop and rock songs are based on simple 3 chord patterns. However, when you get past the simple riff of "Smoke on the Water" then it gets complex - chord changes, alternative picking, finger stretching, hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, harmonics, barre chords, alternative tuning, improvising lead guitar work, etc.

Now if you are really serious about learning the guitar you can take lessons, which are always a good idea, but you can also learn alot from internet resources - youtube and websites. There is also software - the game "Rocksmith" is an excellent training tool for electric guitar, although it doesn't cover all the technical aspects of learning music.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Lessons are great.
But guitar is all about how much you practice at home.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

Forgot to add: I do suggest some form of training to start. A mistake I see is people not holding their hands property on the fretboard and in down the road that can lead to overuse injury. A decent teacher working with you will correct your form while you play until it becomes natural.
So do take positioning seriously. It will feel awkward at first as your hand gets in shape for it.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys! i do appreciate the comments!
i'm mostly interested in acustic tunes such as Johannes Linstead or Andres Linetzky, or Patrick O'Hearn, etc.
i'm wondering how long it would take to be able to play such tunes.....I just want to gain perspective....would taking 10 one hour sessions with a pro and practicing 5 hours a week for 6 weeks, be sufficient in learning one or two tunes from the artist mentioned above?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Johannes Linstead....dude...

Spanish classical guitar takes skills. I will let you know that right now.

Once you have your body strength you will be able to start to try. But I have tried to teach Spanish guitar to people and some people either: can't get the speed/dexterity required OR they give up in frustration. You DEFINITELY want a nylon classical string to play and learn that style. I personally would be amazed if you could play that in 6 weeks. Spanish style is for advanced players. Try it though. You may have a natural aptitude for it. (ahh the magic of music ☺)

If you like those types of artists I would combine learning piano and guitar. Piano will help improve your speed, flow and dexterity without requiring the strength of guitar. Also its a nice muscle break from playing guitar. I feel like it made my arm feel better during learning.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Johannes Linstead....dude...

Spanish classical guitar takes skills. I will let you know that right now.

Once you have your body strength you will be able to start to try. But I have tried to teach Spanish guitar to people and some people either: can't get the speed/dexterity required OR they give up in frustration. You DEFINITELY want a nylon classical string to play and learn that style. I personally would be amazed if you could play that in 6 weeks. Spanish style is for advanced players. Try it though. You may have a natural aptitude for it. (ahh the magic of music ☺)

If you like those types of artists I would combine learning piano and guitar. Piano will help improve your speed, flow and dexterity without requiring the strength of guitar. Also its a nice muscle break from playing guitar. I feel like it made my arm feel better during learning.

thanks! interesting!
There's also this other artist i found on youtube.....that plays amazingly (Faramarz aslani).....how do you figure out if you need a nylon classical sting or the metal strings (like the guitar i bought yesterday)?

also, i'm confident this will sound stupid, but i'll ask anyway............Does being able to type very fast an indication of or can it help in anyway with learning to learn guitar and other instruments?
afterall, typing is also creating 'messages' using a series of 'keys'

thoughts?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Are you thinking about playing with other people, or just by yourself? If you're thinking about playing with other people, you might want to consider learning to play bass instead of guitar. Good bass players are in demand, while guitarists are a dime a dozen.

And I'm looking for the guy who's supplying the dimes.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Are you thinking about playing with other people, or just by yourself? If you're thinking about playing with other people, you might want to consider learning to play bass instead of guitar. Good bass players are in demand, while guitarists are a dime a dozen.
And I'm looking for the guy who's supplying the dimes.

just by myself....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music