Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

I've really been getting into hiphop after years of just ignoring it and I have to say from an outsiders perspective it's way better than the stuff the Coasts are putting out. I love East Coast rap and think West Coast is on it's last leg, just terrible (with the exception of Kenrick Lamar) but Southern rap especially from Texas and Memphis is outstanding. There is something really witty about the lyrics and creative about the beats. It's really soulful and bouncy. It just rings in your head over and over.

The humor in the lyrics is so fascinating. "More throwed than a football on super bowl sunday", "all these chickens and all this syrup you will sweat we're at Roscoes". LOL. It's really witty and creative.

I have not heard lyrics this bombastic since Tupac and Biggie, seriously. Eminem was a masterful story teller too but these Southern rappers just paint a vivid picture in your mind. And all the slang they incorporate it's just like a coded language, especially the Houston rappers. I love UGK, RIP Pimp C, Outkast, Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Lil Flip, Lil Keke, Three Six Mafia, Eight Ball and MJG, Juicy J is amazing.

Just being a newcomer to rap I really see Southern rap as the best. So why is there this intense hatred of it by some? East Coast rap is lame, too angry or trying too hard to be preachy. West Coast hip hop is too much like the former. And isn;t the Southern sound blending into the mainstream? Kanye's Mercy sounded like a Southern-like beat to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
So why is there this intense hatred of it by some?
The only thing I can think of is.....it's rap.

Look at Facebook or other social networking profiles (like City Data for example) and for "Favorite Music" you'll see a lot of these "Everything except rap" (and "Everything except country")

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
This is a generalization, but I think southern rap is just considered a little more frivolous, or at least not as serious as coast rap. I'm glad there are different flavors of the genre. Something for everyone!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
This is a generalization, but I think southern rap is just considered a little more frivolous, or at least not as serious as coast rap. I'm glad there are different flavors of the genre. Something for everyone!
Its mission to is make you bounce and dance the night away. A lot of coast rap is just for pretending to be socially conscious or angry enough to make one feel uncomfortable. It's not even dance-able.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Its mission to is make you bounce and dance the night away. A lot of coast rap is just for pretending to be socially conscious or angry enough to make one feel uncomfortable. It's not even dance-able.
Trust me I'm all about dancing.

The west coast rap I tend to like is older. Particularly NWA. I'm really feeling Kendrick Lamar too now ever since I heard his part in F*ckin' Problems - oh my word that line when his goes "dis dih" is my favorite ever.

East coast rap has stayed consistently strong since the beginning. Too many brilliant artists to mention, but Wu Tang and its members remain some of my favorites. There is nothing like that Wu Tang sound.

The south was largely discounted for too long but has totally caught up in terms of quality in my opinion. Outkast is amazing, nobody can argue with that even if it's not your taste. This is embarrassing but I have to admit Lollipop by Lil Wayne is one of my favorite songs (hip hop not rap, but still on topic.)

I appreciate the sense of fun in southern rap and hip hop, but some stuff out of the south really is too goofy and silly for me. But I could easily say the same for modern west coast rap, the goofiness is just different.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 AM

But that is what I love about it, that its fun and goofy. Just outrageous and off the wall. The lyrics are so clever and witty I have yet to hear anything like it. When I hear Kanye I feel like he is trying too hard, same with a lot of East Coast rappers.

Wu Tang is amazing, I cannot argue with that. They transcend boundaries. They're like the east coasts answer to OutKast loved by all no matter the region.

But the flow in which Southern rap easily goes with the beat, the drawl, the slang and the wittiness just seems so at ease instead of forced like other rap. They're gifted without even trying. They are just the definition of playa in my book.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 AM

There is a thread in the parenting forum about "suzzurp". I was so tempted to point them to some choice musical explanations from the dirty south. Hahahaha!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 AM

Slim Thug - Swimming Pools Flow (Feat. Delo & Paul Wall) Video - YouTube

The flow and lyrics to this is way better than Kendricks original but I understand the message behind Lamar's song is better. But Southern rappers do chilling and dancing music the best, no question.

Paul Wall just nailed it with this one.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 AM

The musical accompaniment on that fits the subject matter so perfectly. Never heard it before. Sooo smooth. Seriously loved it.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 AM

Just listened to Kendrick Lamar's version (also never heard before). I just think the music works way better with the southern lyrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music