Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,769,930 times

Advertisements

Lol, OK, here is a slightly-tougher one for my friend MystMoonstruck: name what (also 1980's) animated movie the song below is featured in:

ETA: Hint - although this was originally done in the 1980's as an animated movie, the franchise itself that it was based on has made a big comeback in recent years, including multiple spin-off, live-action/CGI-combination blockbuster movies by Michael Bay...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-05-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM

Another mystery song for you: what 1990's movie was the song below featured in?

P.S. Also the re-mixed version below, although not the one version actually featured in the movie, is my personal favorite version of it:

Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,236,635 times
I had to investigate this one. I can safely say that I would never have been able to guess because I've seen one of the films once but never watched the other. In 1993, this song was used in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III"; in 1997, in "Beverly Hills Ninja"~the one I've never watched. Actually, I don't even recall this from "TMNTIII". It must not have stood out to me for some reason; that can happen when I watch films at night and have to lower the volume. So, I miss background songs usually.

EDIT: I just noted the previous puzzle you posed. I know that one because I posted some Stan Bush songs on a thread for Eighties songs as I recall. He composed and performed songs for Transformers animated films though I don't recall the titles. I've never seen them, but I was impressed with his music, very Survivoresque, as in "Eye of the Tiger". / I did a quick check at YouTube and found that it's titled simply: "Transformers: The Movie". I don't recall the other animated features; I'd have to look up that information. ~~~ It was "Transformers" anmated series. Otherwise, he did songs for several movies, including a couple of martial arts adventures.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
I had to investigate this one. I can safely say that I would never have been able to guess because I've seen one of the films once but never watched the other. In 1993, this song was used in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III"; in 1997, in "Beverly Hills Ninja"~the one I've never watched. Actually, I don't even recall this from "TMNTIII". It must not have stood out to me for some reason; that can happen when I watch films at night and have to lower the volume. So, I miss background songs usually.

EDIT: I just noted the previous puzzle you posed. I know that one because I posted some Stan Bush songs on a thread for Eighties songs as I recall. He composed and performed songs for Transformers animated films though I don't recall the titles. I've never seen them, but I was impressed with his music, very Survivoresque, as in "Eye of the Tiger". / I did a quick check at YouTube and found that it's titled simply: "Transformers: The Movie".
Lol, wow you are definitely very, very good at this, my friend! Excellent work! (Also thank you for the interesting fact about "Beverly Hills Ninja"; I knew that "Tarzan Boy" was in TMNTIII, but I actually didn't about the other one! )

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 PM

I have to admit that I polished memory/search skills during my years at Yahoo!Answers Movies, where I'm Top Answerer with more than double the points of the second person. I pick up a lot of trivia as I gather information for answers. I enjoy solving mysteries. At IMDb, I generally start threads if no one has identified songs used in movies, particularly older films. That's a real challenge at times. Whee=}

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Here's something truly amazing, with a bombastic song that many people might be familiar with but don't know the name of. I went for years after seeing "Excalibur" multiple times before finding "Oh Fortuna" and the work from whence it was taken: "Carmina Burana".

Flashmob Carmina Burana - YouTube

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM

Lol, this is really fun! Another one for you please, dear MystMoonstruck: what movie is this song from America from?

(ETA: the youtube cover photo should be a dead-giveaway, haha )

Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM

That is one of my favorite animated films of all time! I don't even have to look it up=} But, I'll add this:

The Last Unicorn Opening [High Quality] - YouTube

I've been collecting unicorns~statues, books, pictures~since long before it was easy to find them. I have quite a herd throughout the house. Both of the songs bring tears to my eyes every time. / Unfortunately, this video is cut too short. *sigh*

Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 PM

41,998 posts, read 75,328,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
I always figured that the music played for the dance can-can was called "The Can-Can". Imagine my surprise when I heard this melody!
The music from Gaite Parisienne was taken from a variety of Offenbach's operettas; the characters in the ballet came from the operetta La Vie Parisienne (no doubt! LOL).

On a YouTube search for "Gaite Parisienne" there is a film of the entire ballet by Ballet Russes de Monte Carlo, cobbled together from various performances and dubbed with the score; in the 40s one of the large Hollywood studios filmed a condensed version of the ballet.

Just a little ballet history for your early Saturday morning!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Thank you! I hadn't investigated the music further. I was simply stunned to finally be able to put a name on that piece of music. I hope I can do the same for others that we often hear but never know the name of.

I have a particularly difficult mystery. I know of two movies in which the music is played, but not even IMDb's Soundtrack section has the information I need. I'm searching for the name of the music typically played for belly dancers and sometimes elsewhere. You can hear it during the World's Fair scene in "The Great Ziegfeld", when they are noting the popularity of Little Egypt. In "The Son of Kong", the monkey band (supposedly) plays it. I have listened to so much music connected to belly dancing with no luck. I doubt it's traditional; it probably was written for dancers here in the States. Since no one ID'd it at IMDb, this must be a tricky one. I haven't been able to find a video with the music, but I know people would say, "Oh! That one!" upon hearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music