Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

RIP George.... thanks for the music!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:07 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times

George Jones & Elvis Costello-Stranger In The House - YouTube

Great duet!

Thanks, George.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
It might have been Merle Haggard quoted in the paper today as saying George was the greatest country singer of all time.

He was right.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
A few years ago George was drunk driving had a wreck and wasn't thought he'd make it he was in a coma for a few days. When he woke up he wanted to see Vestal Goodman (life long well respected gospel singer)and she had been praying for him she was a very strong influence in his later life.
Your post somehow struck me as strange. I was just this morning listening to George and her.

I've always enjoyed Vestal's music no matter who she sang with.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM

And I mean strange in the best possible way. Maybe someday I will be granted the opportunity to jam with Vestal and George.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM

876 posts, read 635,588 times
I love to hear him sing with Kenny Chesney and Brad Paisley.

God bless you and them and George's family always!!!

Holly

Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
And I mean strange in the best possible way. Maybe someday I will be granted the opportunity to jam with Vestal and George.
Well I'll pull up a chair in the front row to listen!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Well I'll pull up a chair in the front row to listen!
I've been encouraging my young granddaughter to take up the guitar so I'll have someone to eventually give my stuff to. She called me tonight to tell me she has now learned the major guitar chords so move over grandpa, George and Vestal! We may all have to learn some pop and rock.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
Default Kenny Chesney & George Jones

Kenny and George were very close. Kenny sang a tribute to him last night and from Kenny's Facebook page:

Legendary country icon George Jones passed away Friday morning at the age of 81. For Kenny Chesney, Jones was like a father.
“He had a voice that was the truth, raw and unfiltered. You can’t get any realer, any more tortured or any more alive. No one can do what George Jones does, and that’s why 50 years later, he still stands out as one of the greatest singers in any genre of all time. … We were great friends, but it was really more like a father/son relationship. He even showed up in Lexington, Kentucky two years ago to surprise me onstage for my birthday… all the way from Nashville, to surprise me and sing ‘He Stopped Loving Her Today’ with me, which will be one of the greatest memories of my life. … When I was just staring out, and I was picked to open the George Jones-Tammy Wynette Reunion Tour, I thought I’d made it… Then one night, George asked me if I was heading home because he and Nancy had a plane, and they’d take me,” Chesney recalls. “I remember sitting there on that jet, thinking, ‘This can’t be happening’ because he was George Jones, and I was some kid from nowhere.’ I’m sure he knew, but he was generous to kids chasing the dream, and I never forgot it.”

In an interview a couple years ago, George praised Kenny and spoke about their relationship:
I love Kenny, and he has remained as close as a son to me. My stepdaughter with Nancy worked for Morris Management, who manages Kenny. Kenny was just starting out and we all agreed to bring him along on the tour. He took his first private plane trip with me and he was just thrilled. In fact, he wore overalls that day and gave them to me. I have them framed down in my memorabilia basement! Through the years, Kenny always stayed in touch and, as he became such a big star, he never forgot me. We do little surprises for each other. Just a couple of months ago, I surprised him on tour and walked out onstage singing to him. He just about fell over. He was so happy and emotional. He knows I don’t normally show up at other people’s shows, and it was a wonderful moment between us. We had dinner back in Nashville a couple of nights later. Kenny is a good, good man and I think of him as a son — and he calls me “Dad.” I am so proud of all that he’s accomplished, and he has stayed the same down to earth humble guy that he’s always been.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM

876 posts, read 635,588 times
^^^ I wonder what Kenny sang.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music