Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times

Advertisements

We've all heard how learning to play the piano has benefits.

I wonder of all the kids that initially take piano lessons, how many actually enjoy them to stick with them for say at least two years. And, for those who actually enjoy them, how many actually benefit from them?

"Your children may not turn out to be concert pianists, but they may become doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, engineers, writers, teachers... because they have been provided immeasurable opportunities to develop essential life skills."

from

5 Benefits of Piano Lessons that Parents Should Know - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Personally, if I was going to force a kid to learn some skill, it would be something like Excel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Piano lessons are supposed to raise the child's I. Q. according to a study I read about years ago. If they don't turn into a great piano player the lessons can be stopped. I don't think I would ever force a child to play the piano; but see no reason not to let a child try to see if there is talent there. The child's brain is supposed to benefit just from the training.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I wish I had learned an instrument when I was younger and anyone with a book and two hours can learn excel.

Besides by the time your child is old enough to actual need a skill like excel, it will be completely different. The boost to intelligence from learning to play an instrument and the lessons of the importance of practice last forever.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
I would argue 100%. There are more than enough studies out there showing the benefits of music and learning an instrument. The ability to read music teaches fractions and music lessons teach patience and focus. Piano provides an easy way to accomplish new things and build confidence. A child can learn a simple new song in a day and then build to longer more complicated pieces over time as age and skill permits. Practice teaches dedication which will probably be required to learn other skills, like say excel.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Well, it's nice for them to learn a hobby that doesn't involve them being glued to a computer screen.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Piano has been great for my son. He's not a virtuoso or anything nor does he practice unless forced but he has to get up in front of a group for the recitals which is great practice, his brain has to work a different way, and he appreciates music. I find him asking about different instruments and the sound they make in Beatles songs. He wants to learn Benny and the jets which would be awesome .

Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I don't think anyone should be forced to take lessons. However, if the kid wants to, then she or he will certainly benefit from it.
I had to beg for lessons for over a year before my parents finally caved in when I was 8 and stuck with it for 6 years. Just a few of the things I learned: performing in front of others (recitals, etc.), easier time learning other instruments later in life, math skills/number sense from learning music theory, practicing a skill until getting it right (instead of just giving up after 5 minutes). Would I have learned these things if I hadn't taken lessons? Maybe, perhaps probably, but every time I pick up another instrument, count a beat in my head, get up in front of an audience, or acknowledge I need to practice something more, to this day, I still hear my piano teacher's voice in my head.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
My daughter is interested in taking piano lessons and will be starting next month. I don't necessarily expect her to become an expert piano player, or even continue to take piano lessons for years and years to come. But I would like for her to learn the basics of how music works, and I think piano is a good way to learn that because it is so visual and pretty intuitive to understand how notes relate to each other, unlike on an instrument like the clarinet, or even violin, for example. Once she has a basic understanding about music, I expect that when she's older that she will pick an instrument of her choosing to continue to play for pleasure, and not necessarily continue on the piano itself.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I think nearly all children benefit from piano lessons. Children learn:

1. How to practice a skill and get better at it. Piano is something that requires practice. Everyone will get better at piano if they practice it. They may never become good enough to be a concert pianist but they can certainly become better than they were a week before if they spend time practicing.

2. How to take criticism. Children work closely with their piano teachers and must be criticized to get better. Learning how to take another person's criticism and use that to improve your skill is a life lesson that will serve a child for the rest of his life.

3. How to perform in front of a crowd. Many adults are terrified of being in front of a crowd. Playing piano gives a child a chance to practice this skill. It teaches a person to go on and perform even when they are nervous and also teaches the value of practicing a presentation.

4. How to set goals and achieve those goals. This goes back to numbers 1 and 2 above. People always talk about self esteem. Self esteem comes from actual achievement, not from talk. If a student successfully tackles a difficult piece or corrects a bad habit the child will have real achievement to boost his self esteem.

I do not think that piano lessons are the only way to learn these things. There are many activities that can teach a child these important lessons. However, I do think that piano lessons are very valuable for children. Especially for those who may not like other activities that also teach these lessons.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I would argue 100%. There are more than enough studies out there showing the benefits of music and learning an instrument. The ability to read music teaches fractions and music lessons teach patience and focus. Piano provides an easy way to accomplish new things and build confidence. A child can learn a simple new song in a day and then build to longer more complicated pieces over time as age and skill permits. Practice teaches dedication which will probably be required to learn other skills, like say excel.
Right, but how many kids embrace piano lessons enough to get anything out of them? For example, out of 100 kids who start piano lessons, I would venture to say that 5 out of 100 still dig on piano lessons to the extent they are getting these benefits.

That's what I was asking in the original post. I don't argue piano lessons can be beneficial, I just wonder just how many kids really get much out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music