Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

I remember hearing older people complain about some of the music I listened to when I was younger (and that I still listen to) They would hear my metal or dance music and say "what is that? That's just noise!". Well, I also always liked older music too ( I was the only kid in high school who liked Billie Holiday) And I always thought "well, when I am older I'll never be like that." Well, today, I am pushing thirty and I have to say...WHAT IS THIS NOISE KIDS ARE LISTENING TO NOWADAYS?!

What the hell is this "dubstep" crap? I am sorry, it has no real beat, no melody, no music progression and no structure. It's just "Boooom! Boooom! WWWWWAAAAAA! BOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOM, WWWWHHHZZZZZZ"

It sounds like what R2-D2 would sound like if he tried to sing the droid version of death metal.

I mean, I listen to a lot of loud, noisy music, but this crap? It can be noisy and still have a real beat and still be danceable...like KMFDM, Nine inch nails etc. But dubstep? It has NO BEAT. How does anyone dance to this crap?...

And the truth is, I don't think anyone dances to dubstep. They just dance while dubstep is playing. I saw this garbage at a club once (didn't realize it was dubstep until it was too late) and everyone was waving their hands around to the slowest beat in human history. It was so mis-matched.

And even worse is vocal dubstep...what the hell? She is constantly stopping so that crazy "ZZZZZZ Boom, CCCCRRRRRUUUUUNCH!" can make its noises. I am sorry, but it sounds like the poor girl is being attacked by the Transformers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSOl22IYu_Q

Is it just me getting old, or does any younger person also not understand how this crap has become popular all of a sudden?

Oh, and I remember when industrial was the thing... that feels like an age of the world ago. I mean, how can you not want to boggy to something like this:

Juke Joint Jezebel - KMFDM - YouTube

And that, one of the anthems of my childhood/teenage years...IS NOW 18 F&%%^ING YEARS OLD AND THE FRESHMEN COLLEGE KIDS "SKANKING" TO DUBSTEP WERE NEWBORNS WHEN IT CAME OUT

And trance is getting old now too...trance? Old fashion?
*sigh* maybe I should just apply for social security? Still, I do think this little image sums it up nicely:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
I can't stand it. Unfortunately, I occaisionally hear it for 30 minutes to an hour when I visit a friend, and unfortunately he has a powerful stereo.

I'm not young anymore, but I know for a fact that I would have recognized it for the sh*t that it is if it had been around when I was young.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I remember hearing older people complain about some of the music I listened to when I was younger (and that I still listen to) They would hear my metal or dance music and say "what is that? That's just noise!". Well, I also always liked older music too ( I was the only kid in high school who liked Billie Holiday) And I always thought "well, when I am older I'll never be like that." Well, today, I am pushing thirty and I have to say...WHAT IS THIS NOISE KIDS ARE LISTENING TO NOWADAYS?!

What the hell is this "dubstep" crap? I am sorry, it has no real beat, no melody, no music progression and no structure. It's just "Boooom! Boooom! WWWWWAAAAAA! BOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOM, WWWWHHHZZZZZZ"

It sounds like what R2-D2 would sound like if he tried to sing the droid version of death metal.

I mean, I listen to a lot of loud, noisy music, but this crap? It can be noisy and still have a real beat and still be danceable...like KMFDM, Nine inch nails etc. But dubstep? It has NO BEAT. How does anyone dance to this crap?...

And the truth is, I don't think anyone dances to dubstep. They just dance while dubstep is playing. I saw this garbage at a club once (didn't realize it was dubstep until it was too late) and everyone was waving their hands around to the slowest beat in human history. It was so mis-matched.

And even worse is vocal dubstep...what the hell? She is constantly stopping so that crazy "ZZZZZZ Boom, CCCCRRRRRUUUUUNCH!" can make its noises. I am sorry, but it sounds like the poor girl is being attacked by the Transformers:

Female Vocal Dubstep Mix - 01 - YouTube

Is it just me getting old, or does any younger person also not understand how this crap has become popular all of a sudden?

Oh, and I remember when industrial was the thing... that feels like an age of the world ago. I mean, how can you not want to boggy to something like this:

Juke Joint Jezebel - KMFDM - YouTube

And that, one of the anthems of my childhood/teenage years...IS NOW 18 F&%%^ING YEARS OLD AND THE FRESHMEN COLLEGE KIDS "SKANKING" TO DUBSTEP WERE NEWBORNS WHEN IT CAME OUT

And trance is getting old now too...trance? Old fashion?
*sigh* maybe I should just apply for social security? Still, I do think this little image sums it up nicely:
LOL, great post! You are not alone!

I've been in the party scene since the mid 90's, and I can assure you, the majority of folks who MADE the scene cannot stand the way dubstep has infilitrated and basically destroyed it.

I pity the fools who jumped on that bandwagon simply to keep youngins lining their pockets!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
No, it's not you getting old. Dubstep really does suck. It sucks more than my Dyson. It sucks so much that it's the black hole of music, a giant vortex of suckitude from which neither melody nor rhythm nor souls ever re-emerge.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM

84 posts, read 402,787 times
Default Chris Lake & Lazy Rich - Stand Alone & Flight Facilities - "Crave You (Adventure Club Remix)" | LYRICS! & Cryptex - Slay

It's prolly age since music is emotional, with bits of everything you grew up with (comics, video game music, anime, school shootings, murders on tv, hormonal love[lust] etc) plus my gen hangout in online clubs with real djs etc.

some dub i'm listenin to now with friends in an online club with about 300 people.

most of these have been voted on by at least a third of them (300 people) in the positive and some have gotten love votes with no meh votes.

Chris Lake & Lazy Rich - Stand Alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHjYRSQCQ2M

Flight Facilities - "Crave You (Adventure Club Remix)" | LYRICS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6IMsJhlFYE

i'll put more in that's a variety thats been played by 50 + other DJs.

Cryptex - Slay it

Cryptex - Slay It - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Juze - Lazy Rich & Hirshee Feat. Amba Shepherd - Damage Control (Juze Remix) & Noire - Hope & [Glitch Hop]

Juze - Lazy Rich & Hirshee Feat. Amba Shepherd - Damage Control (Juze Remix)

Lazy Rich and Hirshee feat Amba Shepherd - Damage Control [Rising Music] - YouTube

Noire - Hope (Grimehouse Remix)

Noire - Hope (Grimehouse Remix) - YouTube

[Glitch Hop] Shift Four - 134 | Buy on Beatport | Full HD

[Glitch Hop] Shift Four - 134 | Buy on Beatport | Full HD - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubJuni View Post
plus my gen hangout in online clubs with real djs etc.
Online clubs?

I guess I am getting old...lol

Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Default [Electro] - Insan3Lik3 - Bliss [Monstercat Release] & Thriftworks - Trotter | HD

oh yea-- places you can go to and hang out with friends & that room might have a DJ comin on at 3-6pm... places like turntable and plugin...

We tend to follow monstercat...

[Electro] - Insan3Lik3 - Bliss [Monstercat Release]

[Electro] - Insan3Lik3 - Bliss [Monstercat Release] - YouTube

Thriftworks - Trotter | HD

Thriftworks - Trotter | HD - YouTube

sorry i'm waitin for my partner to play so i'll hurry and put more in then split

Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Electronic / Glitch ||Bobby C Sound TV - Jelly Belly & Brother Blake - Homies Drop the Bass Ft. SlyFoxHound

now this is a lot of different kinds of dub played today... Jelly got kicked but just so you can hear this style..

Electronic / Glitch ||Bobby C Sound TV - Jelly Belly

Ghetto - Funk || Bobby C Sound TV - Jelly Belly - YouTube

Brother Blake - Homies Drop the Bass Ft. SlyFoxHound

Brother Blake - Homies Drop the Bass Ft. SlyFoxHound - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
I like some of it. It's kind of like reggaetron reborn. Every so often something new that the kids like comes along and shakes up the scene but eventually the more traditional stuff takes back over. Ive been listening to dance, club, house, techno, electro, trance, etc etc for just over 20 years now and it's just another phase. I try not to automatically be against the NEW thing like old schoolers typically are (not saying you are) so I can give it a fair shake but yes half of it sounds decent menand half sounds like noise. Cool thread. Some of the posted videos are taking me back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music