Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 PM

335 posts, read 503,642 times

Advertisements

RIP Phil.

Thanks for the memories......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,325,824 times

The Everly Brothers - So How Come (No One Loves Me) - YouTube

THE FERRIS WHEEL- EVERLY BROTHERS - YouTube

Pre-headphones days one of the few places where you could hear recorded music played loud was at the fairground. The song generally lasted as long as the ride. The Everlys had one.

Phil Everly 1939-2014

Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
We just lost the tenor portion of that great Everly Brothers harmony. I mean, their harmonies were always very tight and spot on. Phil, along with brother Don, had a huge influence on the music world in the 1960s with the formation and style of different rock groups. Said influence was felt on The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, The Bee Gees, The Beach Boys, and The Hollies. Phil passed away Friday at age 74 from emphysema and bronchitis.

Like Strangers - Everly Brothers

THE EVERLY BROTHERS - Like Strangers - YouTube
A few words on this lp from case 44.

It was the second lp that they recorded for Cadence Records from 1958. Just a simple acoustic guitar with Don and Phil providing beautiful harmony among a group of songs by Country artists (Gene Autry's "That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine", longtime traditional folk standards ("Barbara Allen", "Roving Gambler", and "Rocking Alone In An Old Rocking Chair") and the recording got my attention as I bought this lp at the local Woolworth's for $2.49. The one I noticed was after their first lp had the chart hits "Wake Up Little Susie", it was clear to me that this album wasn't geared for top 40 radio. It was instead a personal statement, if you will. It was songs that they knew and sung since they were kids.

And its reflected in the music collecting hobby. Cadence CLP-3016 is one of the most collected lp's among 50's and 60's collectors. But don't think that the current musicians do not know who these guys are; on the contrary, Green Day's Billy Joe Armstrong and Grammy winner Norah Jones (daughter of famed India musician Ravi Shankar) have recently recorded a tribute to the Everly's.

More quotes:

Vince Gill--"I grew up wanting to be an Everly.

Nancy Sinatra--"One of the thrills of my life was touring with them when I first got into the business. They were great to work with."

Bob Dylan--"They along with Elvis started it all."

Chris Hillman--"They inspired me right off the get go. Gram Parsons told me that if we could only sing like the Everlys."

Linda Ronstadt and Paul Simon covered a couple of their songs. Both said their influence was huge on their careers.

Phil Everly (from an interview of Time Magazine from 1986)--"Harmony is the true love."

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-05-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,251 times
I want to hear them sing "Please Don't Ask About Barbara".
Guess I never will.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Everly Brothers were a huge influence.

I was just reading Graham Nash's autobiography "Wild Tales"
Nash mentioned a few times in his book about how big the Everly Brothers were
for the Hollies. The Hollies were a "harmony" band, and the Everlys are all about harmony.

Graham mentioned, he and lead singer Allan Clarke meeting the Everly Brothers
after seeing them in concert in 1958 (as 16 year old fans) and then the thrill of
re-meeting the Everly Brothers eight years later in 1966.
This time Don and Phil asked if they had any songs. To Graham's surprise they liked and
recorded quite a few for their next LP.
Don and Phil showed Graham how they played the opening chords to Wake Little Susie, as
Nash always wanted to know how to get that sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music