Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

I'll be contributing to this a few times; right now I'll just touch on the early days. Members of the band were scattered in several bands in the early 60's. El Riot and the Rebels, Gerry Levine and the Avengers, and also Denny Laine and the Diplomats. Denny, who later left the band and later on joined Paul McCartney's band Wings, organized the band along with Mike Pinder, Ray Thomas, Clint Warwick, and Graham Edge. The name was Pinder's and Laine's idea; Mike was a jazz buff growing up; loved Duke Ellington, and his favorite Ellington song was "Mood Indigo". All the members grew up on rhythm and blues and the groups they were in played primarily that. Hence the term Moody Blues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The Moody Blues aren't in the hall of fame? *organizing letter writing campaign*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
ohiogirl81---must have taken ALOT of therapy to get Bobby Sherman out of your head! Did you know that he is now in charge of Los Angeles County paramedic and EMT services?
I did! He sure has ... uh ... aged.

Course, I don't look the same way I did in 1970, either!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Deram Studios had THE best synthesizer sound of its day and the Moodies used it to the fullest. I still melt when I hear "Tuesday Afternoon", which, as a kid, I believed was sung by Ringo. The band's heyday for me was between 67 and 71. When the cd age arrived the first four albums I purchased were In Search Of The Lost Chord, On The Threshold Of A Dream, A Question Of Balance and To Our Children's Children's Children. There's something about that era and what they were doing that just made me really appreciate all things Moody. After Seventh Sojourn the band and my listening tastes seemed to have gone in different directions. But those early epics were something else!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I love the Moody Blues. Seen them around 10 times or so since 1981. A few of their tunes sound a bit silly now with the poems and drama, but for the most part, their stuff is really sweet.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Some of their stuff is a bit bloated and too prog rock for my tastes but on a whole a great band and dare I say better than the Beatles!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times
I love how the Moody Blues can perform with a live orchestra like they did at the Colorado Red Rocks Amphitheatre with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra-It is called "A Night at the Red Rocks"- Great concert available on CD or DVD.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the Moodies did that more than once.
Red Rocks is a very special place, and I think Roger Daltrey of the Who did something similar there.
I personally don't care for this sort of thing, I guess I prefer a more straight-ahead concert, but do understand how someone might enjoy it.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Any Moody Blues fans here? I love almost all their songs, but I had not listened to Moody Blues for a long time, just listened a while ago to "Nights in White Satin" and I can't get over how beautiful this song is, I think Moody Blues is definitely one of my top 10 bands of all times. One cool fact about Moody Blues is that they are the one of longest running rock n roll bands in history(second only to the Rolling Stones?). Started in 1964, although some members changed, the band has been together for 43 years.
Don't really know them much, besides "Nights in White Satin." Which is a great song, although I could do without the poem. lol.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 PM

So do several people I know. On some of the classic rock stations the song continues into the spoken word you are referring to. The album Days Of Future Passed started with a spoken word intro, titled The Day Begins. On the 45,the spoken word is not on there (on the original press anyway). The album was released I believe early December of 1967. Surprisingly, Nights In White Satin was re-released in the summer of 1972, almost 5 years after the album hit the charts.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 PM

On one of the BBC Rock Hour programs Justin Hayward had a good story about one of their early concerts. He and John Lodge had joined the group as Denny Laine and Clint Warwick left the band; this maybe fall of 1966. After doing a show in one of London's clubs (can't recall which one), where they had performed their usual r&b stuff, they were approached by an older guy who had seen the show. He said "I saw your show tonight. Now don't take this personal, but,uh, um, you blokes are the worst band I've ever heard in me entire life." After a few seconds, everyone looked at each other and Justin said, Know what? He's right! This stuff we're playing IS crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music