Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM

990 posts, read 1,727,042 times

Advertisements

Guiness books of records list Paul as the most sucessful musician and composer in popular music history.In part responsible for 32 #1 hits and Yesterday is the most covered song ever. But I love all four of them. Paul has alot of songs if you're not a fan you've probably never heard and they're some really good songs he's not really all pop-you have to really listen to his music behind the words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
He was, without a doubt, a very creative and talented person. Who knows if he would have met with the same amount of commercial success as McCartney, had he survived?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,529,052 times
I love the "Plastic Ono Band" album. Is it just me, or does it seem like this album directly influenced a lot of punk and grunge bands? When I hear Lennon's screaming in "Well Well Well," I can't help but be reminded of Kurt Cobain.

But there's one album by an ex-Beatle that's on the same level as "Plastic Ono Band" and in many ways gives it a run for it's money, and that album is "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,724,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I love the "Plastic Ono Band" album. Is it just me, or does it seem like this album directly influenced a lot of punk and grunge bands? When I hear Lennon's screaming in "Well Well Well," I can't help but be reminded of Kurt Cobain.

But there's one album by an ex-Beatle that's on the same level as "Plastic Ono Band" and in many ways gives it a run for it's money, and that album is "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison.
Well put. Excellent album. George had a very subtle style compared to Lennon or McCartney.

Truthfully, I think John was always the most troubled and perhaps the most interesting (musically and otherwise) because of it. Lastly, his vocal on Twist and Shout is one for the ages. The essence of early rock and roll energy.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,751,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aresenal View Post
Lennon and the Beatles just broke up his interviews at the time show him angry at not only the Beatles but the Stones. One thing most of the people who say they don't like the Beatles fine but remember this they have been the biggest influence on rock music and pop music the last 40 years. When was the last major artist in the last twenty years influenced by Elvis. The Beatles influenced U2, Nirvana, ColdPlay, Oasis, Radiohead and even McFly. I found some of the comments funny especially being in a band who is influenced by the Beatles.
The Beatles have influence every musical act since 1963.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,700,537 times
Paul's RAM which followed POB and came before Imagine was hated by the critics but now everybody gives it 5 stars

RAM contained supposedly some verbal jabs at POB and Imagine supposedly contained some jabs at RAM(at the time Paul and John were on the outs)

interesting stuff

Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM

990 posts, read 1,727,042 times
Both are great - I have always loved RAM - I understand that some people don't like some of McCartneys songs - but there's no denying he's a great composer and musician - saw his concert this past August in Cincinnati and it was great - his band sounded great and so did he (not as good as 30 years ago but not bad) over 3 hours of hits! WOW!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,700,537 times
Ebony and Ivory came out on album 30 years ago around this time. I can't believe that it's been 30 years...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,035,475 times
The beatles music is top notch to me. That also goes for their solo careers after the 1970 breakup. The 2 current lps i just bought are revolver & the white lp. A few songs from the lps should of been released as singles cause they are quite good. (Revolver)... Im only sleeping, Here, There & Everywhere, For No One, (White Album)..Dear Prudence, Glass Onions, Sexy Sady & Revolution 1. As far as solos go my fav of john is watching the wheels, paul.. another day, george..what is life & ringo..It dont come easy.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 PM

637 posts, read 1,027,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The beatles music is top notch to me. That also goes for their solo careers after the 1970 breakup. The 2 current lps i just bought are revolver & the white lp. A few songs from the lps should of been released as singles cause they are quite good. (Revolver)... Im only sleeping, Here, There & Everywhere, For No One, (White Album)..Dear Prudence, Glass Onions, Sexy Sady & Revolution 1. As far as solos go my fav of john is watching the wheels, paul.. another day, george..what is life & ringo..It dont come easy.
Interesting thing about "It Don't Come Easy"
is that it was recorded in early 1970 but not released until April 1971
Co-written by Ringo and George Harrison (I suspect mostly by George)
Ringo sang lead and played drums on it (of course)
Members of the group "Badfinger" sang backing vocals.
George overdubbed a couple of electric guitars (including one
thru leslie speaker for opening riff), played great lead solo as well
Klaus Voorman on bass, Klaus was a friend of the Beatles from
Hamburg, Germany who did the artwork on front cover of
the Beatles album "Revolver". Klaus also played bass for
John Lennon on albums Plastic Ono Band and Imagine
(also Plastic Ono Band Live Peace Toronto 1969 live album)
Stephen Stills was also on hand at the recording session and
played piano on It Don't Come Easy.
I have the single on vinyl 45 rpm, it's all scratched up played alot
B-side is a little known funny tune, "Early 1970", it's lyrics
pretty much sums up how things were for Ringo and the Beatles
in early 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music