Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times

Advertisements

I understand it perfectly. it's because the rap society is force fed is horrible. if anyone actually listened to more underground stuff, there'd be a lot more rap fans. however, when all we see is rappers sipping crystal off a strippers azzcrack, it's easy to hate. how about this. let's start posting some of our favorite rap songs in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Let me just take a wild shot in the dark, you're in your early to mid 60s, and have never given the genre a chance so you bolt for the " rap is crap" jokes. Nice nothing like a little ignorance. I mean I understand that that is your opinion, but what was wrong with " Not a fan" as a response? Don't know if I would've used the phrase " makes my pipes smoke" sounds a little suspect. Listen to some Nas though, maybe your tune will change.
No, actually I was born in 60' and yep, I've listened to rap since the days of hammer and run dmc, and STILL don't care much for it. I sat on my dad's shoulders at the original woodstock in 69' and got my stripes while listening to marley and hendricks so I have to say that Classic Rock is what I grew up on. I learned to play the drums and read music in high school, played in a few bar bands so I'm pretty seasoned.
I admit, I'm a bit narrow minded when it comes to music, but Rock is where it's at for me!
Sorry, but rap just doesn't have any heart or talent that I can jam to.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:01 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I understand it perfectly. it's because the rap society is force fed is horrible. if anyone actually listened to more underground stuff, there'd be a lot more rap fans. however, when all we see is rappers sipping crystal off a strippers azzcrack, it's easy to hate. how about this. let's start posting some of our favorite rap songs in here.
You know, there's an idea. If you want people to see rap as something more than it's perceived to be, show people why.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I don't hate it, it is a form of expression, but to me it just doesn't qualify as music.
If you can't hum it, or whistle to it, it is not music. It's kinda like the difference
between a 4 year old's stick man drawing and a sculpture by Rodin. Rap just has
no texture.
Well said!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, there's an idea. If you want people to see rap as something more than it's perceived to be, show people why.
sadistik is one of my current favorites. great lyrics. a true talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBqfZgDc7vk

Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
All genres of music are simply, at their core, a method of telling a story whether it be rap, opera, jazz, rock. Every genre and generation have always had it's struggles. Your parents probably hate your music and guess what? Your kid will probably hate your generation of music.

I did find this bit about rap music by the late Sam Kinison. Don't be alarmed, Ice-T is in the audience and they cut to him laughing.

Sam Kinison - Rappers Suck - YouTube

Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Thanks for that video, thursday007 ! He was always freakin hillarious!! ... But I needed to hear that on FRIDAY instead of the nastiness from daft punk ( or whatever it was) coming in my damn window from the ghetto cruiser in the next lane!!

Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
All genres of music are simply, at their core, a method of telling a story whether it be rap, opera, jazz, rock. Every genre and generation have always had it's struggles. Your parents probably hate your music and guess what? Your kid will probably hate your generation of music.

I did find this bit about rap music by the late Sam Kinison. Don't be alarmed, Ice-T is in the audience and they cut to him laughing.

Sam Kinison - Rappers Suck - YouTube
Laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes.

He was one of the funniest comedians ever. Died too young.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 AM

818 posts, read 857,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I admit, I'm a bit narrow minded when it comes to music
Pretty much all I saw

Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 AM

818 posts, read 857,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes.

He was one of the funniest comedians ever. Died too young.
Love Kinison. " YOU LIVE IN A DESERT !!!!!!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music