Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,643 times

Advertisements

Can people drop the "old stuff" vs. "new stuff" argument?

There was some terrible old school rap, and there are absolutely astonishing artists in the modern age... to claim otherwise just shows ignorance. Nothing wrong with being ignorant about it if you don't care about hip-hop. Who cares? But these blanket statements about music by people who do not even look for the good modern stuff should stop. They are simply untrue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_x6M3UXq9M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:39 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,225,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

There was some terrible old school rap, and there are absolutely astonishing artists in the modern age... to claim otherwise just shows ignorance. Nothing wrong with being ignorant about it if you don't care about hip-hop. Who cares? But these blanket statements about music by people who do not even look for the good modern stuff should stop. They are simply untrue.

By old and new I was talking about popular rap. I haven't heard much popular rap I like today, for that I need to find the gems underground.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
By old and new I was talking about popular rap. I haven't heard much popular rap I like today, for that I need to find the gems underground.
Ok, that clarifies a bit, because I know of a lot of very talented artists that are making music today. I will agree, the more popular/radio stuff is garbage.

Not particularly my cup of tea as far as styles go, but a good alternative to the likes of Beyonce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvRNPOJPH0&feature=kp

Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM

5,254 posts, read 3,618,816 times
You know, there are 2 primary overarching principles that are being overlooked here as everyone is burrowing in the details:

1- You listen to the music of your generation & culture, what excites you ages 12 - 21, most of your life. (this is the reason few on this thread listen to Glenn Miller tunes when they relax or party)

2- 95% of everything is crap (This is not just music-related, all mass-produced commodities)

Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

There is "new stuff" that is good namely Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, Goodie Mob and underground ones Papoose. The issue is like most genres, the older stuff is more true and better. I was watching some of a black metal documentary and they talked about the evolution where bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir started to use piano and orchestrations so they aren't as "true" to the sound. Or look at early hard rock and metal compared today, Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, Purple, blow anyone out of the water. I think the thing is as time goes on and genres merge people start to dislike them. That and the fusion of genres like rap metal.

I like rap metal like Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D. and Papa Roach. Many people don't. I'm guessing because it combined two genres people don't understand and is all but universally unliked. I guess people see it as a b****** son of two bad genres. That or they just simply don't like the combination.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There is "new stuff" that is good namely Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, Goodie Mob and underground ones Papoose. The issue is like most genres, the older stuff is more true and better. I was watching some of a black metal documentary and they talked about the evolution where bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir started to use piano and orchestrations so they aren't as "true" to the sound. Or look at early hard rock and metal compared today, Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, Purple, blow anyone out of the water. I think the thing is as time goes on and genres merge people start to dislike them. That and the fusion of genres like rap metal.

I like rap metal like Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D. and Papa Roach. Many people don't. I'm guessing because it combined two genres people don't understand and is all but universally unliked. I guess people see it as a b****** son of two bad genres. That or they just simply don't like the combination.
Again, you lose me with the radio/mass produced artists.

Eminem is not as good as many underground rappers. Neither are the Black Eyed Peas, or Goodie Mob. I think that they are still radio/mass produced garbage in comparison to the underground.

The Black Eyed Peas are a cut-rate radio version of Doomtree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toELT1uWDKU

Again, I like some rap metal, but not Korn, Limp Bizkit, POD, Papa Roach, etc... again, they are the radio/mass produced bands in that particular genre. They all pale in comparison to bands like Bionic Jive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-pWkassEWg

Again, we agree on the general premise, but we completely disagree on the artists. Let's not start a flame war because of it again.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 AM

432 posts, read 492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
What's popular got to do with ANYTHING?

White guys rappin' "Down to the ashes, start from the scratch, build it on back." makes perfect sense in the context of history. Don't matter who it is. Confuse the status quo: Take it back.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:11 AM

432 posts, read 492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Ice-T started out with other West Coast hip-hop pioneers such as Kid Frost, DJ Flash, and Egyptian Lover with Electro recordings. Later on, he changed his style and was the first West Coast MC to be accepted by the East Coast...
It's funny. Ice just released a new new Body Count record and he said that he's got zero interest in doing rap music in 2014. He'd rather do metal:

BODY COUNT - Talk S**t, Get Shot (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Honestly, I hope he stumbles across Hacktavist. The best rap-metal crossover since I heard Faith No More and Mordred as a kid.

HACKTIVIST - ELEVATE [2013] - YouTube

It's time to take on the candy ass horses**t. Genre doesn't matter. Attitude does.

Last edited by variant; 06-12-2014 at 03:20 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,529 times
Lol at the black eyed peas being considered rap.

Anyway, I am not 60 years old and I hate TODAY's rap. Rap was at it's best from the 80s to mid to late 90s. Everything that came out after the year 2000 sounds like garbage IN MY OPINION.

Rap was better before "certain people" realized that there was money to be made in the genre. These people have no idea what talent is. They just sign anybody. It's like they are saying, "Let's find the most ignorant sounding person and give him a record deal....as long as we make money who cares about the lyrical content". LOL.

ETA: why should I have to go on a wild goose chase to find some good rap music? That's some bs. "They" should sign people who have some actual talent in the first place and promote the artists who do, instead of signing and promoting dumb crap.

Last edited by bored chick; 06-12-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 57,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I grew up a HUGE rap fan, still am( one of the very few things nowadays( unlike " selfies"). Point blank, I've never understood why rap gets such a bad rap . I think if people( yes I'm speaking to my age group and my parents age group) took the time to sit down and listen to the non-radio rap, you'd figure out what REAL rap is all about. It's just sad to hear " Oh rap is just thugs talking about their women, shootings, and their jewelry." Congrats, you've made an uneducated generalization. That'd be like me saying " Well I heard Nickelback on the radio so ALL rock music is trash." " I heard Beiber on the radio ALL pop music is trash". I think when people bash rap, at least from what I've encountered, there is a racial undertone to it. If you're going to bash rap, turn off 2Chainz and put on some Common, Lupe, or some Nas, then make the statement that ALL rap is garbage.

There are people who hate rock n' roll music and call it satanic. I'm sure many years ago classical music was considered bad as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music