Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 AM

902 posts, read 718,402 times

Advertisements

This is 8 minutes long.............. but so worth watching!

Bye Bye Miss American Pie

Turn on your speakers and enjoy...

You should open this up. Those over 50 will really appreciate this and those under 50 will see how the rest of us had special events and moments that shaped our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,234,845 times
The Don Mclean mega hit song from the early 70's called "American Pie" was in part written about Charlie or at least the Helter Skelter murders. The song is written about the death of rock n' roll when Buddy Holly died and in the fourth verse it refers to the murders.

"Helter Skelter in the summer swelter."

Most people think this is a reference to the Beatles invasion into rock but it actually refers to Charlie Manson. American Pie was the name of the plane that crashed and killed Buddy Holly. Some people say this isn't true, though.

Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on board the plane but he gave his seat up to
Jiles P. Richardson, known as The Big Bopper to his fans, who was running a fever and had trouble fitting his stocky frame comfortably into the bus seats.

When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." This friendly banter of friends would haunt Jennings for years.

Last edited by kidcanaduh; 01-01-2008 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
The Don Mclean mega hit song from the early 70's called "American Pie" was in part written about Charlie or at least the Helter Skelter murders. The song is written about the death of rock n' roll when Buddy Holly died and in the fourth verse it refers to the murders.

"Helter Skelter in the summer swelter."

Most people think this is a reference to the Beatles invasion into rock but it actually refers to Charlie Manson. American Pie was the name of the plane that crashed and killed Buddy Holly. Some people say this isn't true, though.

Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on board the plane but he gave his seat up to
Jiles P. Richardson, known as The Big Bopper to his fans, who was running a fever and had trouble fitting his stocky frame comfortably into the bus seats.

When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." This friendly banter of friends would haunt Jennings for years.

In summary the song is about the death of innocence. From the decline of the original rock and roll era to the drug culture and the Manson murders the song is a classic account of pop culture.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
Thank you so much for this link. I have always loved this song and I enjoyed the link.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
In summary the song is about the death of innocence. From the decline of the original rock and roll era to the drug culture and the Manson murders the song is a classic account of pop culture.
Correct and I was around when the song came out

Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
" I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news but she just smiled and turned away" When Jonny Carson asked Don McClean who the girl was he replied that it refered to his crush on Janis Joplin.
Also-in Roberta Flacks song "Killing Me Soflty" she is singing about Don McClean.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM

902 posts, read 718,402 times
Janis Jplin was a great Rockin' Blues singer. Too bad that she had that grip with drugs.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:08 PM

167 posts, read 214,000 times
gosh that almost makes me want to cry

Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
" I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news but she just smiled and turned away" When Jonny Carson asked Don McClean who the girl was he replied that it refered to his crush on Janis Joplin.
Also-in Roberta Flacks song "Killing Me Soflty" she is singing about Don McClean.

Janis Joplin was not very attractive and if he had a crush he should have found a way to tell her. Im sure she would have been thrilled.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM

550 posts, read 1,234,845 times
If you like Janis you'd love "Never the Bride."

It's a band from the UK and the singer, Nikki Lamborn is better than Janis, in my view.

Never The Bride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music