Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:24 AM

273 posts, read 240,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Unfortunately rock and roll is dead. I consider myself fortunate to have been a teenager when The Who, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Jeff Beck, Faces, The Kinks, Deep Purple, The Allman Bros, etc. were plying their trade. At the risk of sounding like an old fart -- "now that was music"!
(2012)

1:10 - 1:27 is just for guys like you.... to see if you are paying attention.

Happy V-Day fellers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Hard Rock is dead. Instead we are stuck with indie which isn't exactly bad but can be mellow. The only successful hard rock band in the last few years is Halestorm, Five Finger Death Punch and the Pretty Wreckless (though I am not into them.) There are others but they aren't major forces. Sure AC/DC and Godsmack released albums lately, but they didn't produce top 40 hits. And I am not saying that too be down on them, just stating fact. The majority of music in particular indie is VERY mellow. Imagine Dragons, good but mellow, indie folk bands are mellow, Passenger, Bastille, etc. are too.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Hard Rock is dead. Instead we are stuck with indie which isn't exactly bad but can be mellow. The only successful hard rock band in the last few years is Halestorm, Five Finger Death Punch and the Pretty Wreckless (though I am not into them.) There are others but they aren't major forces. Sure AC/DC and Godsmack released albums lately, but they didn't produce top 40 hits. And I am not saying that too be down on them, just stating fact. The majority of music in particular indie is VERY mellow. Imagine Dragons, good but mellow, indie folk bands are mellow, Passenger, Bastille, etc. are too.

Upon its release, Rock or Bust became the sixth most pre-ordered studio album of 2014 on Amazon UK.[26]
In the US, the album sold 172,000 copies in its first week of release and debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200.[27] As of January 2015, it has sold 500,000 copies in the US.[28] In Canada, it debuted at #1 on the Canadian Albums Chart, selling 31,000 copies in its first week of release.[29] In its second week, the album fell to #2 with 17,000 copies sold.[30

Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
Upon its release, Rock or Bust became the sixth most pre-ordered studio album of 2014 on Amazon UK.[26]
In the US, the album sold 172,000 copies in its first week of release and debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200.[27] As of January 2015, it has sold 500,000 copies in the US.[28] In Canada, it debuted at #1 on the Canadian Albums Chart, selling 31,000 copies in its first week of release.[29] In its second week, the album fell to #2 with 17,000 copies sold.[30
Albums mean littlbecause most people dont buy them anymore sadly enough. Fifteen years ago if you didn't go platnium, it was a failed album.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Albums mean littlbecause most people dont buy them anymore sadly enough. Fifteen years ago if you didn't go platnium, it was a failed album.
The furthest I am is CDs. I don't own an iPod or even know how to work one. When I just bought my copy of Rock Or Bust at Best Buy the good looking college aged girl working smiled and winked at me.

I was probably the first guy with any BALLS she came across in months.

Too bad I am an old fart and not her type.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
The furthest I am is CDs. I don't own an iPod or even know how to work one. When I just bought my copy of Rock Or Bust at Best Buy the good looking college aged girl working smiled and winked at me.

I was probably the first guy with any BALLS she came across in months.

Too bad I am an old fart and not her type.
You were probably the first person to buy a CD on best buy because they have a very limited selection. My last cd purchase was the last Avenged Sevenfold at a Hot Topic. I typically just load up on cds at the library because most CDs are indeed crap with a few shining moments. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Against Me, Korn, Alter Bridge and even Bon Jovi included as much as it pains me to say. The last best cd from beginning to end was possibly Saints of Los Angeles in 2008.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
You were probably the first person to buy a CD on best buy because they have a very limited selection. My last cd purchase was the last Avenged Sevenfold at a Hot Topic. I typically just load up on cds at the library because most CDs are indeed crap with a few shining moments. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Against Me, Korn, Alter Bridge and even Bon Jovi included as much as it pains me to say. The last best cd from beginning to end was possibly Saints of Los Angeles in 2008.
A lot of lurkers probably think I steal this music off YouTube and the net. Um no....afraid not. Mine is all hard copies sitting right here in racks behind my bar. Thousands of CDs, cassettes, 8-tracks, LPs...... Costs a lot of money too over a lifetime. I never understood the concept of iTunes or digital. If you want and like it...buy it and support your favorite bands. One of those ^^ numbers on the total sales of that new AC/DC album was mine as I can proudly say. I also own every single album they ever made even the Bonfire unreleased box set and Live '92 double CD set.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
A lot of lurkers probably think I steal this music off YouTube and the net. Um no....afraid not. Mine is all hard copies sitting right here in racks behind my bar. Thousands of CDs, cassettes, 8-tracks, LPs...... Costs a lot of money too over a lifetime. I never understood the concept of iTunes or digital. If you want and like it...buy it and support your favorite bands. One of those ^^ numbers on the total sales of that new AC/DC album was mine as I can proudly say. I also own every single album they ever made even the Bonfire unreleased box set and Live '92 double CD set.
I rather go to the concerts or buy shirts of the bands, most album sales don't even go towards the labels and NOT the acts.

As for the initial topic, if we had Halestorm and Pretty Wreckless top the charts, you may see more acts similar to them get it because we always see when two or three acts of a similar style hit, you see a wave of it. Happened in the 1970's into the 80's with New Wave, 1980's with hair metal, early 1990's with grunge and even post-grunge, late 90's with boy bands, turn of the century with Britney clones, early 2000's with punk and emo, and 2010's with soft sounding indie music and somewhat EDM to name a few.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM

Heavy and traditional is still very much a part of the current music scene whether folks admit it or not is another matter to be discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwENuEZ7XPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgVu2lsi_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=org1ITRGGNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R68rSUlrScU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1_cpIIzXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZoKmdbERzA#t=14

It's even crossing over into Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1gTdbL83e4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZLUohDCGo

Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM

It's not on the mainstream singles charts nor is it on Top 40 radio currently. Sure it will be on rock radio but there's less and less stations doing modern and active rock formats. Hard rock is not topping most rock charts and Jason Aldean has been all over the place. I wouldn't consider "She's Country" hard, it's close to hard but it's like saying blink-182 is hard rock when they were a softer pop punk band after they released Enema of the State or Weird Al was hard for doing parodies of hard rock songs or doing hard rock songs in his polkas.

Also Royal Blood hasn't had a hit and Black Stone Cherry just had "Lonely Train" even though I personally like them. I love Slash's new stuff with the Conspirators and Miles Kennedy but they aren't exactly producing hits on the charts. They sell albums and show tickets but that is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music