Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times

Advertisements

A host of the biggest names in the music industry have joined forces to launch Tidal, a streaming service being billed as the first artist-owned platform for music and video.

Rihanna, Madonna, Beyonce, Usher, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire, Jack White and Kanye West joined a host of other stars as they were revealed as co-owners of the subscription service, which is the brainchild of Jay Z.
Unlike rivals Spotify, the service will not have a free tier - meaning the musicians stand to make more money from it.

Alicia Keys said the artists hope Tidal will 'forever change the course of music history' and ensure the viability of the industry at Monday's launch event in New York City. The celebrities - which also included Nicki Minaj, Jason Aldean, Usher, Arcade Fire and deadmau5 - stood in a line, and in solidarity by mostly wearing black onstage as Keys spoke to the audience at Skylight at Moynihan Station in Manhattan. Keys called the event 'a graduation. So we come together before you on this day, March 30th, 2015, with one voice in unity in the hopes that today will be another one of those moments in time, a moment that will forever change the course of music history. For today we announce of Tidal, the first ever artist-owned, global music and entertainment platform,' Keys said.

However, details about the streaming service were vague. The membership-based service - similar to subscription service Spotify - will provide music and exclusive video content that users can stream on computers, tablets and smartphones or listen to offline.
Unlike Spotify there isn't a free service. It is being offered to U.S. users at two price points: about $9.95 for standard sound quality and $19.99 for 'lossless high fidelity sound quality.'

Jay Z recruits Rihanna and Kanye West to launch Tidal streaming service | Daily Mail Online

Any thoughts? Would you pay for this service? I think I'll pass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
The Tidal press conference was quite embarrassing to watch.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM

709 posts, read 766,436 times
Wow, this is convenient - all the crappy music I wouldn't buy in one place.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Wow, this is convenient - all the crappy music I wouldn't buy in one place.
You win the Internet today!

Seriously. I wouldn't knowingly buy something associated with Kanye West, or most of those acts. I'm all for artist-owned publishing, promotion, and distribution, especially because I do think artists of all kinds should have some kind of control over the fate of their products if they wish to, instead of being at the mercy of exploitative contracts.

But I don't find those artists particularly appealing, and I think Kanye West is a narcissistic idiot in the truest sense of the words. Plus, I find it hilarious that it's the bazillionaires doing this. If it were independent artists forming some kind of union or collective, that would be one thing. But I smell a money grab here. I would like to see what they offer lesser known artists who might be interested in signing up. I wonder how much of a percentage they would take.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The Tidal press conference was quite embarrassing to watch.

I couldn't believe my eyes when Madonna started humping the signing table

Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,123 times
What did every "artist" on that stage have in common? They're all hacks I would never listen to. I think I'll pass, haha.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
More money for them but what about the unwell known artists?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,353 times
Here's an idea....how about actually making good music for a change?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
I'm a longtime user and I find it very convenient.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Does Tidal's catalog approach the size of Spotify's? If the overwhelming emphasis is on contemporary, commercially successful acts, I don't think I'd find it all that useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music