Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times

Advertisements

Another of the greats is gone

Keith Emerson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer Keyboardist, Dead at 71 | Rolling Stone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Sadly, it looks like suicide. Apparently he suffered from depression because of a degenerative nerve issue that made it difficult for him to play.

Keith Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer Dies

Old 03-12-2016, 06:54 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
This is very sad indeed. I loved Emerson, Lake and Palmer, particularly Brain Salad Surgery. Keith was simply an amazing musician.

RIP maestro.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:26 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
David Bowie, Glenn Frey (Eagles), René Angélil (manager and husband of Celine Dion), Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship), Maurice White (Earth, Wind, and Fire), George Martin (producer for the Beatles and America), and Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer); the list of notable musicians and associates deceasing this year is quickly increasing.

Emerson's passing will be the saddest because of the way he chose to go out. There is help out there.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
David Bowie, Glenn Frey (Eagles), René Angélil (manager and husband of Celine Dion), Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship), Maurice White (Earth, Wind, and Fire), George Martin (producer for the Beatles and America), and Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer); the list of notable musicians and associates deceasing this year is quickly increasing.

Emerson's passing will be the saddest because of the way he chose to go out. There is help out there.

Good list, you did forget Lemmy of Motorhead.
2016....the year of the deceased musician.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 PM

529 posts, read 370,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Good list, you did forget Lemmy of Motorhead.
2016....the year of the deceased musician.
Lemmy passed 28 Dec 2015...

Old 03-12-2016, 04:44 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
To echo what Weird Al wrote on his Instagram: Will all the awesome people PLEASE stop dying?

Keith was one of the Pillars of Prog. So sad to think he felt himself backed into a corner. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=O6y1htz6jGE

Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
To echo what Weird Al wrote on his Instagram: Will all the awesome people PLEASE stop dying?

Keith was one of the Pillars of Prog. So sad to think he felt himself backed into a corner. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=O6y1htz6jGE
Couldn't have said it better. I embraced prog around 1969 and I've been going bonkers on it ever since.

Two things about ELP I always remember. The first is the monster concert in the summer of 1974--California Jam. As the bands were wrapping it up--Rare Earth, Earth Wind Fire, Black Oak Arkansas, Seals and Crofts, Eagles, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and then ELP closing it out. ABC televised it. Awesome!

The other is their fourth lp-Trilogy. In my area we had all of two FM stations playing rock. But at that time certain lp's from that time frame were seeing lots of airplay; not just some of the cuts on the lp, but all of them. Lp's that come to mind are Who's Next, the Stones Sticky Fingers, Carole King's Tapestry, Procol Harum's live lp, Deep Purple's Machine Head, the Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn. And Trilogy.

Sad, sad news indeed.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 AM

Statements from Greg Lake and Carl Palmer:

Quote:
"To all ELP friends and fans all over the world, I would like to express my deep sadness upon hearing this tragic news. As you know Keith and I spent many of the best years of our lives together and to witness his life coming to an end in the way that it has is painful, both to myself and to all who knew him.

As sad and tragic as Keith’s death is, I would not want this to be the lasting memory people take away with them. What I will always remember about Keith Emerson was his remarkable talent as a musician and composer and his gift and passion to entertain. Music was his life and despite some of the difficulties he encountered I am sure that the music he created will live on forever.

My deepest condolences go to Keith’s family.

May he now be at peace.

Greg Lake
London - March 12, 2016"
Quote:
"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.

Carl Palmer
March 11, 2016"

Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 PM

(mod cut)

It wasn't "a little nerve damage." It was an ongoing degenerative condition that he'd dealt with for 20+ years.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-14-2016 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music