Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times

Advertisements

BILLY RAY CYRUS!

Of course, he came back riding the coattails of his 15-year-old daughter, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Duran Duran came back with the Big Thing album in 1988.

Yes they did! Then in the early 90's they released the song Ordinary World which is a classic!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:02 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
Re Duran Duran,,,Did they ever really go away?? They never actually disbanded..

Duran Duran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Duranduran.com The official Duran Duran website

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
In a way , I suppose some people look at this band as a musical comeback. They have had their ups and downs. They went through a rough period in the early 90's, but they are going strong, closing in on 30 years as a group while basically reinventing themselves the whole time. There was never really a breakup.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
One artist that has hit a comeback in a big way is Levon Helm, drummer of one of the definitive bands of 60's rock, The Band. The Band broke up in 1977, with The Last Waltz their swan song, but it was a hell of a way to go out. He put out a few solos, the Band reunited (minus Robbie Robertson), and cranked some more product. A few years after Jericho came out, Levon came down with throat cancer. He aggressively fought and whipped it. It came with a price, however, as his gravelly voice has disappeared, and he is singing in a restrained manner, but he is back in a big way. Helm has a CD out called Dirt Farmer. It came out last fall, and I believe it won a Grammy. I recommend it! Winning a Grammy and whipping a disgusting disease? Yes, he's back all right.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
...and here's the proof! He's some kinda guy.

YouTube - Levon Helm The Dirt Farmer New York Guitar Festival

Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Re Duran Duran,,,Did they ever really go away?? They never actually disbanded..
Yes they did. Ever hear of Powerstation or Arcadia?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Yes they did. Ever hear of Powerstation or Arcadia?
Sure I`ve heard of them. I`ve got Powerstation`s 85 album.
I think you`re maybe getting `break`up`confused with `solo projects`. There was never a mention at the time of `break up`..
A good comparison would be Rolloing Stones solo projects. They`ve all done them down the years, some involving other band members, and some not.
Does that mean The Stones have split on numerous occasions??
Charlie Watts has been putting out Jazz albums for over 20yrs in various guises.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Sure I`ve heard of them. I`ve got Powerstation`s 85 album.
I think you`re maybe getting `break`up`confused with `solo projects`. There was never a mention at the time of `break up`..
A good comparison would be Rolloing Stones solo projects. They`ve all done them down the years, some involving other band members, and some not.
Does that mean The Stones have split on numerous occasions??
Charlie Watts has been putting out Jazz albums for over 20yrs in various guises.
Well, I remember Simon or one of them calling it a "break" I believe, though maybe not an official "break-up", as in there was an official announcement of sorts.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I remember Simon or one of them calling it a "break" I believe, though maybe not an official "break-up", as in there was an official announcement of sorts.
That was about it Prince. They had a break from constant touring and did differant things to freshen things up a bit. In fact the year of Powerstation and Arcadia [85] they still worked together to do The ``View to a Kill`` theme for the film.
In between the 85 projects and the album you mention, `The Big Thing`, there was of course the `Notorious` album [sold 5million] which was written 85/6 and released 86. Seems they weren`t that knackered, it wasn`t much of a holiday . In the studio for a quick splinter album and then back at it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music