Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 05:56 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

I'm listening right now to KD Lang's "Ingenue" album and just about every song on it to me is great, started out great to me, didn't have to listen to it a bunch of times for it to "grow" on me. There are a few albums like that, Joshua Tree is another, VH's first album. A couple of Zep albums are that way too.

What albums right off of the top of your head have just about every song really speak to you. This is all subjective of course, was just looking to see what others thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 07:11 PM

876 posts, read 635,459 times
To me, the following albums are awesome from start to finish and they are all from my late beautiful precious Billy Joe Royal.

Cherry Hill Park
His 1980 released self named album
The Royal Treatment

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Old 08-13-2016, 08:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,717 times
- Alice in Chains Jar of Flies
- David Bowie Ziggy Stardust
- Jeff Buckley Grace
- Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks
- King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King
- Parliament Mothership Connection
- Spirit The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
- Traffic The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
- White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan
- Keller Williams w/String Cheese Incident Breathe
- Neil Young Tonight's the Night

Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Rush - Moving Pictures

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Breeders - Pod

Zappa - Apostrophe

Allman Brothers - Everything up through Brothers and Sisters

The Cars - s/t

Van Halen - 1984

Old 08-15-2016, 02:03 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
The Cure Disintegration
First album I ever bought, loved every song on it, became a huge Cure fan, been a huge fan since 1989.

DeftonesWhite Pony
This is one of my favorite records of all time. White Pony is when the Deftones really distance themselves from the nu metal pack they were always mistakenly lumped with. They haven’t been able to top this one, even though I think they got close with their latest, Gore.

Los Fabulosos CadillacsRey Azucar
A legendary Argentinean band that mixes punk, ska, funk, psychedelia, and Caribbean rhythms like salsa and cumbia. This record is their masterpiece, every song is well thought out, the lyrics are deep and they touch on social and political problems. In Latin America these guys are very influential, looked at as a Spanish singing The Clash.

Ruben Blades & Willie ColonSiembra
This to me is the most important Latin record of all time. Musically nothing has come close to it thanks to the vision and musical acumen of Willie Colon, whose trombone arrangements are a journey through the musical landscape of Latin America. Then there's the message; Ruben Blades is the kind of lyricist that despite his intellect, can still translate the sentiment of the poorest of the poor into a poem that can reach all levels of society.

Sade-Diamond Life / Sade-Promise
I got into Sade when a friend of mine lent me a copy of The Best of Sade. I just couldn’t stop listening to that for weeks. I then bought her actual albums, and these 2 I think are near perfect albums. Her voice is just something out of this world. And the music just transports me. Is jazzy, funky, and has a world vibe that just makes me teary eyed.

Pearl Jam-Vs.
I just love every song on that record. Even the one I don’t listen much like “WMA”, I still think is an incredible rock song. “Rearviewmirror” and “Rats” are my 2 favorite songs to play drums to.

Oasis-(What’s the story) Morning Glory
I have been rediscovering this album for the last few days. I had it since the day it came out, and like many albums I buy for one song, in this case “Wonderwall”, is hard for me to let them grow on me. But this record freakin plays like a greatest hits compilation. Every song is good, and memorable. “Cast no shadow”, “Some might say”, “Hello”, etc…is just too good. I can now understand the obsession with this band in the late 90’s.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:09 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers; while Exile is my favorite Stones album due to being an enjoyable double album, it has some weak points. Sticky Fingers is much shorter but solid cover to cover. Can't You Hear me Knockin', Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, Brown Sugar, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile, etc, etc. Great, great album.

Tom Petty Wildflowers- It's not often an artist puts out their best effort in the second half of their career, but as a huge TP and the Heartbreakers fan I have a hard time not listing this as his best album. It is beautifully written from cover to cover. The title track is amazing, and I never understood why Crawling Back To You, a deeper cut, was not a single.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Well, Dylan's Blood On The Tracks comes immediately to mind.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:07 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm listening right now to KD Lang's "Ingenue" album and just about every song on it to me is great, started out great to me, didn't have to listen to it a bunch of times for it to "grow" on me. There are a few albums like that, Joshua Tree is another, VH's first album. A couple of Zep albums are that way too.

What albums right off of the top of your head have just about every song really speak to you. This is all subjective of course, was just looking to see what others thought.
I have that album! My favorite is Miss Chatelaine.

My list is:

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
Destroyer - KISS
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Little Earthquakes - Tori Amos
The Great Cold Distance - Katatonia
Lateralus - Tool
Combat Rock - The Clash
Ray of Light - Madonna
A New World Record - ELO
Seal's second album, the one with Prayer for the Dying that came out in 1994
Station to Station - David Bowie
Purple Rain - Prince
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sarah McLachlan

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,720 times
Two groundbreaking debut albums:

Boston - "Boston"(1976)

Guns N' Roses - "Appetite for Destruction"(1987)

Probably two of the greatest rock albums ever released. Both still receive massive airplay from coast to coast.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Two groundbreaking debut albums:

Boston - "Boston"(1976)

Guns N' Roses - "Appetite for Destruction"(1987)

Probably two of the greatest rock albums ever released. Both still receive massive airplay from coast to coast.
While I think Boston has a couple of clunkers - Rock & Roll Band and Smokin' are cliche-ridden and vapid - what you say about airplay is true. When I first saw this thread I tried to think of albums where I have occasionally heard every song played on 'classic radio'. And I'm talking about just in normal rotation, not when an entire album is played beginning to end.

The only ones I could come up with were Boston and Led Zeppelin IV.

Of course, that's not quite the same as being a solid album, beginning to end.

Expanding on my initial post...

The Doors
Abbey Road
Loaded (The Velvet Underground)
John Prine
Skylarking (XTC)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) - Better than Dark Side? Beginning to end, yeah.
Heartbeat City (The Cars) - Hey, I'm a child of the Eighties.
Nebraska (Springsteen)
Summertime Dream (Gordon Lightfoot)
The Joshua Tree - Yeah, I know the cool kids are too cool to like U2. Like I care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music