Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 11:39 AM

336 posts, read 147,071 times

Advertisements

I saw the story about this man with Dementia on UK tv and he now has a record deal, I just think this story is heartwarming. I have personal experience of dealing with this dreadful disease and to think he can't recognise members of his family but remembers all the words to these songs.

Songaminute Man: Elderly man with Alzheimer's scores record deal after 'car karaoke' goes viral - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 03:07 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,392,625 times
Here is another interesting example of music being used as therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oru_NWI_z6w

Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 AM

2,070 posts, read 892,524 times
Default 'Alive Inside': Music in the memory of nursing home patients revealed

Celebrated neurologist and author Dr. Oliver Sacks is making a film, called Alive Inside, about how patients in a nursing home react to listening to their favorite music again. He did this by introducing them to the iPod and recording the changes in their behavior. Recreational therapist Yvonne Russel says that the reactions that music brings out of the patients are “amazing.”

'Alive Inside': Music in the memory of nursing home patients revealed | theGrio

Henry is a patient that has been in the nursing home for ten years because he was having seizures and his wife could no longer take care of him. He had trouble interacting with others in the home, and barely spoke. His nurses say that, after asking his children, they introduced him to the iPod. His eyes light up and when asked what kind of music he likes he said: "Cab Calloway" makes beautiful music.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ

Old 09-21-2016, 12:31 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth3 View Post
I saw the story about this man with Dementia on UK tv and he now has a record deal, I just think this story is heartwarming. I have personal experience of dealing with this dreadful disease and to think he can't recognise members of his family but remembers all the words to these songs.

Songaminute Man: Elderly man with Alzheimer's scores record deal after 'car karaoke' goes viral - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
i thought about songs and singing the other day and why it 'moves' us in a different way more than simple words do, you can say the words or sing the words, but the singing of the words has a different effect, i'm not an expert why, its a fascinating subject though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music