Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,465 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am trying to remember a song from 1980's. I remember the video on MTV, it started out with wind chimes, and a lone figure walking (or maybe riding a horse) across some desolate landscape. For some reason I think its a Chris Deburgh video, but I can't seem to find any Chris Deburgh song that is the song I am thinking of. Everytime I hear the beginning of Blackwater by the Doobie Brothers on the radio, which also starts with wind chimes, I think it may be this long lost song, but its always Blackwater and not the other song. Anyone have any idea of what this song is? Thanks.

Blakesq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,305,780 times
This is the only one from the golden age of MTV that fits several of your memories that I can think of!

YouTube - Bon Jovi - 'Blaze Of Glory'

Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi all,

I am trying to remember a song from 1980's. I remember the video on MTV, it started out with wind chimes, and a lone figure walking (or maybe riding a horse) across some desolate landscape. For some reason I think its a Chris Deburgh video, but I can't seem to find any Chris Deburgh song that is the song I am thinking of.
Argh. Thanks for sticking don't pay the ferryman in my head now.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,305,780 times
^^^That JBJ tune is '90 BTW.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,538 times
Well this is the only eighties song I can think of that starts with wind chimes. One of my favs from the eighties...

YouTube - Why Me - Planet P Project

If it's not the one, I hope you enjoy it anyway.
This video has been colorized.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM

You are freaking amazing Shroombeanie!!!!! That is the song, the guy running across the desolate landscape starts around 2:16 in the video. For some reason that video, Chris Deburgh's Don't Pay the Ferryman, and David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes, all kind of got scrambled together.

Are you around 45 years old too? I remember watching MTV when all they had were videos, and didn't even have enough commercials to fill in the commercial spots, so they had the spaceman with the mtv flag jumping around during some hard/pop rock acoustical music.

Serendipitous that this line is in the song:

"the last man to be here
was never heard from again
he won't be back this way
till 2010..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Well this is the only eighties song I can think of that starts with wind chimes. One of my favs from the eighties...

Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Hey Strat, I am in Milford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Argh. Thanks for sticking don't pay the ferryman in my head now.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post

I dig it as it's so 80's New Wave

Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I remember watching MTV when all they had were videos, and didn't even have enough commercials to fill in the commercial spots, so they had the spaceman with the mtv flag jumping around during some hard/pop rock acoustical music.
At the time cable came out all cable programming including MTV was marketed as commercial free television since it was subscription supported. There weren't commercials on any channel, but somewhere along the way they caved and started showing commercials.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM

uh, thats incorrect. mtv started in 1981, cable tv had been around since the 1940s. I remember first getting cable in the 1970's, and remember that superchannel WTBS (from Atlanta i think) was carried, even though we lived in texas. WtBS had commercials back in the 70's. I seem to remember superchannel WGN from Chicago also, and it had commercials too. MTV got commercials very early, not sure if they had any the first few weeks, but i remember local ads being inserted into MTV fairly quickly. MTV was always going to be a commercial channel, thats why they had the 1-2 minute breaks a few times an hour between videos where they played acoustic music, showing the MTV spaceman on the Moon. Those breaks was space for future commercials, that salesman were trying to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
At the time cable came out all cable programming including MTV was marketed as commercial free television since it was subscription supported. There weren't commercials on any channel, but somewhere along the way they caved and started showing commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music