Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I agree with this when it comes to current hip-hop. And back in the day, NWA were as underground as it got.
But, to be fair, I have never even heard of the 2 acts you mentioned.
Anyway, I'm not really into gangsta rap. The NWA and Ice Cube albums I mentioned are important to me 'cuz they are rap classics - they just happen to be "gangsta".
N.W.A was never considered "underground".

And skye1974, a mod actually went in one of my topics and de-railed it, yet nothing was done about that post and the thread just got locked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Really? Never? Well I don't claim to be an expert on gangsta rap. In the suburbs where I lived in the late 80s, NWA seemed pretty underground - maybe the fact that I even heard them is proof that it never was, though.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,066 times
Quote:

And skye1974, a mod actually went in one of my topics and de-railed it, yet nothing was done about that post and the thread just got locked.
You started the lil wayne thread right?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Really? Never? Well I don't claim to be an expert on gangsta rap. In the suburbs where I lived in the late 80s, NWA seemed pretty underground - maybe the fact that I even heard them is proof that it never was, though.
They were breaking sales records for the genre in that time period, so I wouldn't consider that underground

DJ KJ & MC Kooley C came out around the same time period (and they're from my hometown of West Palm Beach, FL to boot).... how many people can say they've heard of them? Now that's underground ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
You started the lil wayne thread right?
Yeah, that was me.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
They were breaking sales records for the genre in that time period, so I wouldn't consider that underground
True. But what about before the wave of success?
Another example: I consider Wu-Tang to be underground before they became a hit among all US high school students in the early/mid 1990s.
Some huge success stories came out of the underground even if they didn't stay there.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
I love 'Straight Outta Compton' by NWA and I'm not much of a rap fan. I'm also the proud owner of Eazy-E's debut album 'Eazy-Duz-It' as well.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,066 times
I didn't like Eazy-E when he was in N.W.A I dont know why he was just garbage to me when he was with them.

I liked him better when he was solo

Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy

Old 03-19-2008, 05:31 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Here check this out:
HA! Very nicely done. I figured this thread would get flamed eventually. I just had a less pc way of putting it than City-Data does.

I'm surprised anybody outside of the Bay area has heard of Bay Area Street Music. My nephew and I met these guys when we were out there and bought a demo CD for 5 bucks. It was worth it to us.

I'm not all into Techn9ne and everything, but my nephew is and he explained the difference between underground and other stuff. Those guys do have some talent though. I hear they are rather controversial in the KC area and probably not the best role models. Surprise surprise!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
True. But what about before the wave of success?
Another example: I consider Wu-Tang to be underground before they became a hit among all US high school students in the early/mid 1990s.
Some huge success stories came out of the underground even if they didn't stay there.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. You're right, not everyone is well-known at first, but by the time N.W.A. hit middle America I'd say their underground status was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
This is not gangsta rap. Top-notch album, but far from the subject we are discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music