Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:16 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times

Advertisements

Mine is Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealers Wheel. I was never a huge fan of the song but could at least tolerate it if/when it came on the radio. Then I saw Reservoir Dogs. Now I have to change the station if it comes on because it conjures up the image of Mr. Blonde cutting off a cop's ear with a straight razor.

What about you? Any songs you can no longer listen to because of a movie or t.v. show/commercial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:18 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Second Chance by Peter, Bjorn and John. Played into the dirt on 2 Broke Girls, and I barely ever watched the show.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,533,348 times
Well I can still listen to them but they are tainted.

Who Are You by The Who. Often cannot hear it without seeing CSI in my head - I watched the show regularly, until Grissom left.

Blue Oyster Cult Don't Fear the Reaper. Great song been a fav of mine since it came out...but then SNL had to do that silly "Needs more cowbell" scene.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Dueling Banjos--via that piece of shyte movie, Deliverance.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
not so much ruined as...providing an image that I can never wash from my brain...

'One Toke Over the Line' meets the Lawrence Welk Show again . . . 45 years later - The Vinyl Dialogues Blog

Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM

509 posts, read 485,143 times
"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood, which has become such a cliche. It seems like whenever a movie wanted to establish a character is "bad" in the 90's and 00's, they played the opening riffs over the character's entrance.

If I were going to compile a CD of overused songs from movies, it would resemble this. Most of these have been used in at least ten movies or more (no exaggeration; some have been in 20 movies):

George Thorogood - Bad to the Bone (badass enters the scene)
Wooly Bully - Sam the Sam and the Pharoahs (comic hijinx, or dive bar scene)
James Brown - I Feel Good (used to convey a general funky 60's mood)
Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild (badass takes to the road scene)
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale (sensitive person looks back bittersweetly to a more innocent time)
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You (alienated, angsty younger person ponders the meaning of love)
The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (choreographed scenes of violence, especially bar fights)
War - Low Rider (badass comes to town and he's a Latino!)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (general redneck theme)
R.E.M. - Stand (ironic humor)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (used to foreshadow trouble)
Spandau Ballet - True (we are back in the 80's! And in love!)
Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (ironic 70's reference)
Yello - Oh Yeah (I'm so horny I could even go for that...thing)

Not knocking the songs or the artists, but all of these songs have lost whatever character and impact they once had for me; even "Gimme Shelter", which used to be one of the most terrifying songs ever. Sometime in the early 80's filmmakers started using songs as a kind of lazy shorthand to move a story along; I used to refer to it as the "music video" segment of the movie, and bemoaned what a cliche it was even back then. It's a lot worse now.

Last edited by Maliblue; 07-15-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood, which has become such a cliche. It seems like whenever a movie wanted to establish a character is "bad" in the 90's and 00's, they played the opening riffs over the character's entrance.

If I were going to compile a CD of overused songs from movies, it would resemble this. Most of these have been used in at least ten movies or more (no exaggeration; some have been in 20 movies):

George Thorogood - Bad to the Bone (badass enters the scene)
Wooly Bully - Sam the Sam and the Pharoahs (comic hijinx, or dive bar scene)
James Brown - I Feel Good (used to convey a general funky 60's mood)
Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild (badass takes to the road scene)
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale (sensitive person looks back bittersweetly to a more innocent time)
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You (alienated, angsty younger person ponders the meaning of love)
The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (choreographed scenes of violence, especially bar fights)
War - Low Rider (badass comes to town and he's a Latino!)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (general redneck theme)
R.E.M. - Stand (ironic humor)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (used to foreshadow trouble)
Spandau Ballet - True (we are back in the 80's! And in love!)
Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (ironic 70's reference)
Yello - Oh Yeah (I'm so horny I could even go for that...thing)

Not knocking the songs or the artists, but all of these songs have lost whatever character and impact they once had for me; even "Gimme Shelter", which used to be one of the most terrifying songs ever. Sometime in the early 80's filmmakers started using songs as a kind of lazy shorthand to move a story along; I used to refer to it as the "music video" segment of the movie, and bemoaned what a cliche it was even back then. It's a lot worse now.
Great list, and I completely agree with you re: how they have become cliches through overuse.

I've noticed that my favorite Jimi Hendrix song, "All Along the Watchtower," has also become prey to overuse. Fortunately, I still enjoy the song. But I wince whenever someone uses it in a recent movie.

And, Lord help me, it was actually used in a t.v. commercial recently by Chanel to hock cologne. Are you ****ing kidding me? A Jimi Hendrix song in a Chanel commercial? Seriously?!

Jimi's rolling in his grave.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not so much ruined as...providing an image that I can never wash from my brain...

'One Toke Over the Line' meets the Lawrence Welk Show again . . . 45 years later - The Vinyl Dialogues Blog
HILARIOUS! Even more so because I am fairly certain that neither Welk nor these singers have absolutely any idea what "toke" means... But if they do, then it's genius

Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
HILARIOUS! Even more so because I am fairly certain that neither Welk nor these singers have absolutely any idea what "toke" means... But if they do, then it's genius

maybe true about Lawrence but Myron Floren who introduced the song, sure seems to be over emphasizing the "tickle" in his throat doesn't he?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
The Exorcist ruined Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells for just about the whole world. Tubular Bells was released several years b4 The Exorcist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music