Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times

Advertisements

https://www.thoughtco.com/timeline-o...istory-2803347
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The Dickies did a good punk cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6D12UiCCs
Never heard this cover before! I knew they did this Black Sabbath’s Paranoid:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QI40SS3kkMk

Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
This is a great question that people have wondered about for years. Personally, I think that Jimmy Page just had an "overlap" of a playing style that had that same kind of rock and roll energy in punk music.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:15 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
I would say the Kinks
Correct. The Kinks invented punk in 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go

And I think they may have invented grunge in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFkYoT5Gezo

Old 12-27-2019, 03:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
If you look at Communication Breakdown and compare it to a punk song like Blitzkreig Bop by the Ramones they are very similar.
Nope, they're nothing alike.

Communications intro riff is an E pedal, with a D(No5)/A to A to D(No5) transition. The chorus switches A5-A6 and an Em(No5) highlight transitioning to a B5-B6 and a F#m(No5). There's a 23 bar solo in there too. In the key of E

The Bop is a I-IV-V straight power chord riff A5-D5-E5 (there's a II B5 used in the song chorus, but that's 4 total chords), in the key of A.

They're both high tempo, Zeps 4/4 at 175bpm, the Bop 4/4 at 180bpm (although they varied between 170bpm and 200bpm).

They're only similar if you're tone deaf and purely listening to the beat.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:52 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Correct. The Kinks invented punk in 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go

And I think they may have invented grunge in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFkYoT5Gezo
Agree. I think You Really Got Me also invented thrash metal.

As for punk Johnny Burnett's Trio MUST be mentioned.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:03 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Agree. I think You Really Got Me also invented thrash metal.

As for punk Johnny Burnett's Trio MUST be mentioned.
The Kinks never made a punk rock song.

Led Zeppelin never made a punk rock song.

Both bands have a few songs from their repertoires that bear some similarity to what would later emerge as punk rock. The vast majority of the catalogs of both bands have no relation to punk rock other than they all fall under the broad umbrella of rock and roll.

Anyway, songs like 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians and numerous garage/underground bands - the direct precursors to punk rock (the Sonics, the Fugs, others) - were at it even earlier than the Kinks or Led Zeppelin.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:08 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Both bands have a few songs from their repertoires that bear some similarity to what would later emerge as punk rock. The vast majority of the catalogs of both bands have no relation to punk rock other than they all fall under the broad umbrella of rock and roll.

Anyway, songs like 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians and numerous garage/underground bands - the direct precursors to punk rock (the Sonics, the Fugs, others) - were at it even earlier than the Kinks or Led Zeppelin.
96 Tears is a good option.

The Troggs - Wild Thing (same year as 96 Tears 1966)
The Wailers/The Kingsman - Louie Louie (1963)

If you're looking for 3 chord fast tempo (kind of the hall mark of punk) richie Valens, La Bamba (1958).

Old 12-28-2019, 01:05 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
In all honesty, communication breakdown sounds more metal than punk to my ears. Im a huge punk fan, from The Damned and Deadboys, to yes, Green Day. If I was ever going to credit any classic rock band with “inventing” punk, it would be either The Who or The Kinks.

This song sounds more punk than anything Zepp did:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc
I hear you. The Who!

History of the punk subculture
Origins
The phrase "punk rock" was originally applied to the untutored guitar-and-vocals-based rock and roll of United States bands of the mid-1960s such as The Standells, The Sonics, and The Seeds, bands that now are more often categorized as "garage rock". The earliest known example of a rock journalist using the term was Greg Shaw who used it to describe music of The Guess Who in the April 1971 issue of Rolling Stone, which he refers to as "good, not too imaginative, punk rock and roll". Dave Marsh also used the term in the May 1971 issue of Creem in reference to music by ? and the Mysterians. The term was mainly used by rock music journalists in the early 1970s to describe 60s garage bands and more contemporary acts influenced by them. In the liner notes of the 1972 anthology album Nuggets, critic and guitarist Lenny Kaye uses the term "punk-rock" to refer to the mid-60s garage rock groups, as well as some of the darker and more primitive practitioners of 1960s psychedelic rock.
The next step in punk's early development, retroactively named protopunk, arose in the north-eastern United States in cities such as Detroit, Boston, and New York City. Bands such as the Velvet Underground, the Stooges, MC5, and The Dictators, coupled with shock rock acts like Alice Cooper, laid the foundation for punk in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...unk_subculture

Old 12-29-2019, 09:42 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

You Really Got Me is punk as ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music