Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times

Advertisements

First of all, I would like to say that I love classic rock and have listened to just about anything for the last 25 years. My Dad was a big fan of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Who, Genesis among others. Ironically, I am 30 years old and listen to same songs my Dad used to listen to. In my opinion, Led Zeppelin is the best rock band ever. And it is not just a matter of personal opinion, among American classic rock radio stations, there is a general consensus that "Stairway to Heaven" is the greatest rock song ever written. I would like to say that other songs especially "Achilles Last Stand", "No Quarter", "Kashmir" are just as good, although a bit underrated. My favorite Led Zeppelin song is "Achilles Last Stand" and this is also Jimmy Page's favorite song. I can't even express what a masterpiece of song this is, I get the chills everytime I listen to this 10:23 minutes long "journey". Amazing stuff!! Do you consider Led Zeppelin the greatest rock band of all times?

Last edited by lukeache; 12-03-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Zep rocks. I just re-watched the song remains the same. (trying to ignore that bad psychedelic scenes) The version of "no quarter" in that movie is good.

Man, that was one good band. Still are. I have all their albums. How the west was won is a good set. Also that DVD is good concert stuff to watch.

Don't really have a favorite album, they're all so good. Classic rock.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Hard to argue with you there. I heard on the radio this morning that they will be playing in Tennessee in 2008. There is some "woodstock" type event thats being headlined by I think Metallica. I dont think its right they Zepplin goes on before Metallica.

Reminds me of the time some Texas club owner had Albert King open for Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stevie Ray was so upset that one of his heroes and all time great guitarist was asked to do this he RIPPED into that club owner and just about kicked is *****. He said that "No way he can open for me, I open for him, he is one of the greatest". Hopefully, if this Tennesse thing is true, Metallica will do the same.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Bow to the elders...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
i looooooooooove zeppelin but never EVER want to hear stairway to heaven again.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
I'm 36, and most of the music I listen to is as old as me, or older. And that includes Zeppelin! Definitely one of the greats, and definitely in my personal top 10, along with Yes, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, and lots of other golden oldies.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,798 times
Quote:
Do you consider Led Zeppelin the greatest rock band of all times?
Yes, I do.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
In my list of the greats, definitely. I was lucky to see them in their early years. Day after Christmas 1968 I had tickets to the Vanilla Fudge concert with a new group by the name of Spirit was the warm up group. I had boughten their first album and took a chance on the advice of a friend. "I Got a Line on You" just hit the charts the previous week. The Denver Collysseum was the venue which had all the acoustics of a barn. Which basically is true because it was, and still is, the site of the National Western Stock Show. I had heard on the radio (KIMN) that a third act was to be added. Led Zeppelin came out and COOKED right off the get go. About 25% of the crowd walked out halfway through Vanilla Fudge's set; not that it was bad (well, maybe a little bad), but the people were buzzing as to what they had just seen. An awesome start to an awesome group. I remember my friend telling me that he was aware of Jimmy Page being with the Yardbirds. He also said that in a couple years these are gonna be unbelievable. He was right!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:30 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
This may sound weird to some of you but depression hit me really hard when I was about 18. I will never forget this particular day laying in my bed all day feeling really down and hopeless about the world and everything. I had a double Led Zeppelin CD playing on repeat all day long, I think the music of Led Zeppelin had a very soothing effect on my soul that day. "No Quarter" is a Led Zeppelin song in particular that day that led me many places(and no I do not use drugs) What an amazing song!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Cool story actually. Glad to hear you got through your depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music