Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times

Advertisements

They're in my top 2. Santana's number 1. Both have produced some truly extraordinary music. Though it's clear Led Zeppelin stole a significant portion of theirs, including Stairway to Heaven. Anyway I've never understood why either group is in the rock category. They don't sound like rock to me. They're each in a class by themselves imo. Music industry marketing had to put them somewhere I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Jack Black did a fantastic introduction and voice over for the video of Led Zeppelin for the Kennedy Center Honors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH29jbeBV6A

Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Though it's clear Led Zeppelin stole a significant portion of theirs, including Stairway to Heaven.
If this was clear that Stairway was stolen, they wouldn't need to be in court as we speak trying to determine whether or not it was stolen.

Led Zeppelin did steal some of their music from others, particularly on their early recordings, but the case against Stairway is really flimsy. There are similarities in the opening guitar passage (as is true with countless songs through history...there's only twelve notes, so similarities are unavoidable), but other than that, Stairway is not similar at all to the Spirit song it was supposedly stolen from.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:00 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There are similarities in the opening guitar passage (as is true with countless songs through history...there's only twelve notes, so similarities are unavoidable), but other than that, Stairway is not similar at all to the Spirit song it was supposedly stolen from.
I don't know. That 10 second guitar passage sounds identical.
Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' headed to court in infringement case - LA Times

Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's not identical. The Spirit song has one line descending, while the LZ song has an ascending and descending line playing simultaneously. If we ignore the ascending line from LZ's song and just compare the descending lines in both songs, there are strong similarities, but there are also noticeable differences.

Jimmy Page definitely stole a lot of music, as I have previously acknowledged. But this is not a good example. The estate of Randy California is probably hoping that Page's reputation for stealing songs will sway the judge and jury to their side. That's probably where they got the idea for a lawsuit in the first place, eve though neither Randy California nor anyone else in Spirit ever pursued legal action. Unfortunately for the estate, none of those other songs are part of this trial.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
Led Zeppelin is not my favorite band (the bands I'm in are the BEST!!! ), but, trying to be as objective as I can to answer a very subjective question, I think you can very well make they case that they are. Each member, in their own respective talents, are consistently ranked as being the best at what they do, and not just in rock or of the 70's, but the best period. Achilles Last Stand is, to me, their best work. The wonderful musicianship that each member contributed along with the huge influence it had on rock and metal is unmatched.

As a guitarist, I've always aspired to play like Jimmy Page, but really I do believe that John Paul Jones is the best musician in the group.

It's rare to find a group that has one great musician, and it's extremely rare to find a group with two - it's damn near impossible to find one with all members being phenomenal, and Led Zeppelin had just that. They are on a very, very short list of musical acts that can claim the same.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:39 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's not identical.
Close enough, though.

"The panel must decide whether members of Led Zeppelin heard the song played enough times to conceivably rip it off and whether the two songs meet a legal threshold of “substantial similarity.”
Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page spars with attorney over 'Stairway' plagiarism allegations - LA Times

Old 06-16-2016, 08:20 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i looooooooooove zeppelin but never EVER want to hear stairway to heaven again.
Years ago in the late 70s I got out of work at midnight. Every single night a local rock station played Stairway to Heaven at that time. Many times I would listen to it.

I still enjoy hearing it. Although my favorite Zeppelin song is probably The Battle of Evermore.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Close enough, though.
If that's the legal standard, music is about to be completely ruined.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Greatest band is tough to call. They were consistently top quality both in recording and live performance, so maybe they were the best. They had a unique take on all things musical. Even the lyrics. What other band could sing about Gollum etc. with a straight face and pull it off?

My favourite tracks are probably When the Levee Breaks and All of My Love. They had so many amazing songs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music