Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 11:49 AM

7,041 posts, read 4,925,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
David Crosby was overweight for most of his life, Jerry Garcia was a fat guy aswell, Jerry used to smoke Heroin but he was still a fat guy.
But drugs didn't kill either Jerry Garcia or David Crosby. There's a moral there, somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 11:57 AM

2,229 posts, read 781,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But drugs didn't kill either Jerry Garcia or David Crosby. There's a moral there, somewhere...
Drugs killed both David and Jerry.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:13 PM

36,457 posts, read 16,064,438 times
4 Way Street was my favorite, although I wasnt' completely in sync with his political views. Loved the music. He was not my favorite though.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:18 PM

2,229 posts, read 781,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
4 Way Street was my favorite, although I wasnt' completely in sync with his political views. Loved the music. He was not my favorite though.
David looked like your typical redneck from the south, but he was pro abortion and anti-Christian like most people from California.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:46 PM

18,252 posts, read 25,918,435 times
I'm going to try to take the high road with David Crosby. I always thought of him as a mass of contradictions. The recent band that he had put together apparently really gelled well, according to stories I have read. And the tributes I have read online and national news praised him as a huge figure of the Woodstock generation. But he had a lot of problems getting along with his band mates. With the Byrds, Roger McGuimm and Chris Hillman were at odds with him over several things, most notably going way over the line regarding political beliefs. With CSNY, it was no more than a couple years ago that he came out and berated his close friend Graham Nash and also Neil Young over personalities and things that just did not need to be in print. that was an on/off relationship that was somewhat sad to learn about.

But when I think of Crosby's appearances in concert it always brings a smile. I saw him as a surprise guest around March of 1973 at the Denver Coliseum when Neil Young was on tour promoting his 1972 lp "Harvest". It was halfway through the concert and the two went into the song "Alabama." Linda Ronstadt was the warmup act. Then in February 1974 at the Denver Auditorium arena he went on tour with Nash to promote Nash's lp "Wild Tales.' They took a break, when they came out after intermission Nash called out to the crowd "as you can see we have a third stool here by David." And the crowd roared when Stills came out. He wasn't part of the bill, but had been hanging out around Nederland and Jim Guercio's ranch and decided to pop in and make some music. The crowd went bonkers the rest of the evening.

They played an extra hour of their material and actually the high mark of the evening was a great version of the Beatles tune 'Blackbird." 48 years later I still remember that harmony. And I always thought Crosby had a great, great voice. Then 6 months later was the huge 1974 stadium tour., saw CSNY at Mile High Stadium. Those were great, great days.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:09 PM

602 posts, read 316,489 times
This is excellent.....Dan Rather begins interview with David at 3:00 minute mark. David has some interesting things to say about his time in jail what it did to him as a person...Also how important his wife is to him etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfTAdChMQ8

Old 01-23-2023, 09:12 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,282,836 times
Great to see this. I hadn't seen it before.

Had the good fortune to see CSN&Y in 2002 and will always be so glad I got to see them.

Thanks to all of them for so much wonderful music.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:02 PM

2,996 posts, read 1,579,533 times
Quote:
Keith Richards will also be killed by drugs too, no matter how long it takes for them to kill him.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
No, it was fast food that killed Jerry Garcia. Being old and cantankerous was what probably killed David Crosby.

Quote:
David looked like your typical redneck from the south, but he was pro abortion and anti-Christian like most people from California.
You mean pro-abortion and anti-Christian like me! *goes to put Wiccan spell on Metamorphosis69*

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-24-2023 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-24-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm going to try to take the high road with David Crosby. I always thought of him as a mass of contradictions.
David Crosby was a cranky old man from the time he was 20 to the day he died. It just suited his older self more, though. I will say one thing. Neither he nor Neil Young ever took a step backward from anybody or anything. It's no wonder the two of them sparred off sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music