Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM

274 posts, read 239,469 times

Advertisements

I can remember when I was little, my parents would not let my older brother listen to "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy." At that time, I couldn't figure it out. I thought it was a silly, catchy song. Of course, by today's standards, it's very tame.

Last night I closely listened to the words of "Good Girls Don't, But I Do," and I thought, "My parents wouldn't let us listen to Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!!!"

"Love you're such a sweet thing, good enough to eat thing,
and that's just what I'm gonna do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoKey View Post
I can remember when I was little, my parents would not let my older brother listen to "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy." At that time, I couldn't figure it out. I thought it was a silly, catchy song. Of course, by today's standards, it's very tame.

Last night I closely listened to the words of "Good Girls Don't, But I Do," and I thought, "My parents wouldn't let us listen to Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!!!"

"Love you're such a sweet thing, good enough to eat thing,
and that's just what I'm gonna do."

Each parent differed (two very different generations) from the other. My mother couldn't have cared less what we listened to, while my father banned almost everything, except tunes from his era of music.

John Lennon and The Beatles were forbidden musical fruit. So guess which group ended up my favorite? Yep!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Eh, I wasn't allowed to listen to rap or rock until I was in junior high school. Guess what my favorite genres are?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
My parents not only did not censor anything--they actually bought it.
My dad bought Sgt Pepper's for me because he was so curious about it.
OTOH
They were very strict about how much TV we watched, though we did all sit down together to watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

I did check out some of the hip hop my kids bought, but I didn't hear anything that I considered to be harmful.
My eyebrows did go up when I first heard Invasion of the Flat Booty ****s.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I remember playing Foreigner's 4 (vinyl, of course), and my mom couldn't handle the lyrics to "Woman in Black" for 13-14 year old.

Foreigner | Woman In Black lyrics

Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
My mom hated rock and roll so much -- still does -- that she just tuned it out. She never listened to it closely enough ("What are they singing about? I can't understand the words!") to make a judgement, other than it was all "noise."

My dad liked my music, so he didn't care either. I have no doubt that he knew what the Beatles' "Please Please Me" was all about; perhaps he let it alone because he knew darn well that I didn't have a clue ... LOL ...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
Nothing.

They liked all the music I liked, which was everything from jazz to country to hardcore gantsta rap to heavy metal and alternative (I grew up in the 90s). My mom even got a kick out of NWA's "F*ck Tha Police" and thought it was humorous.

Parents who ban music are gay.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
The only music I was allowed to listen to was religious music or classical music.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 AM

18,214 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Religious and classical? Yikes!
My dad was a huge country fan, and my mom loved Broadway shows, Big Band, Folk, and Pop music.

When I got into collecting, my mom was more receptive than dad was, but the one lp that was not allowed to played in the house was when Steppenwolf released their first album in the summer of '68

I bought that lp maybe a few days after they were on the Ed Sullivan show for the first time. Mom watched them for about 30 seconds and left the room! That next week when I bought the lp she could hear me playing it on my bedroom stereo. When she heard the first few seconds of "The Pusher", that tore it. "You will not play that album in my house, no way, no how, PERIOD!" She was ok with the Beatles, and loved groups like the Asociation, Buckinghams, etc., but certain things were VERBOTEN! Steppenwolf was one of those groups.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-08-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Religious and classical? Yikes!
My dad was a huge country fan, and my mom loved Broadway shows, Big Band, Folk, and Pop music.
My parents are bible-thumping fundy isolationists. Very little from the outside "secular" world is allowed to penetrate their bubble of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music