Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

Artists that are from the UK:

The beatles
The Rolling Stones
The clash
The sex pistols
Pink floyd
Queen
Joy Division
The kinks
Oasis
Led zeppelin
Radiohead
Arctic Monkeys
Coldplay
The Libertines
The Smiths
Muse
David Bowie
The Verve
Franz Ferdinand
Primal Scream

and the list goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 877 times
I have two answers.

Which nation produced the best music? the UK
Which nation produced more of my own personal fave music? the US

Seen a list of the best song from 60 UK acts (copied/pasted below) and i cannot see any nation competing with the quality from came out of those isles..

The Beatles - Let it Be
The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
The Who - My Generation
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Elton John - Your Song
David Bowie - Heroes
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Ozzy Osbourne best song as a solo artist - Crazy Train)
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
The Kinks - You Really Got Me
Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
The Clash - London Calling
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Bee Gees - Stayin Alive
Rod Stewart - Maggie May
The Animals - House of the Rising Sun
Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
The Hollies - He Aint Heavy Hes My Brother
George Michael - Faith
The Police - Every Breath You Take (Sting best song as solo artist - Fields of Gold)
UB40 - Cant Help Falling in Love
Elvis Costello - She (used in Notting Hill)
Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
Cat Stevens - Morning has Broken
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Whitesnake - Here i Go Again
Genesis - Invisible Touch (Phil Collins best song as solo artist - Against All Odds)
Motörhead - Evolution (used in WWE)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from My Friends (used as theme for The Wonder Years)
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes (used for classic scene in Say Anything)
Seal - Kiss from a Rose (used as theme song for Batman Forever)
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (are made of this). (Annie Lennox best song as solo artist - No More i Love Yous)
The Troggs - Wild Thing
Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love
The Foundations - Build me up Buttercup (used in Theres Something About Mary)
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget about Me (used as theme for The Breakfast Club)
Oasis - Wonderwall
Blur - Song 2
Coldplay - Yellow
Radiohead - Creep
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (used for Greys Anatomy)
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
Muse - Starlight
Bullet for My Valentine - Tears Dont Fall
Florence and the Machine - Shake it Out
Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
The Prodigy - Breathe
Massive Attack - Teardrop (used as theme for House)
Fatboy Slim - Praise You
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Amy Winehouse - Rehab

(No cheesy pop/rap ie. Spice Girls, One Direction, Taio Cruz, Jay Sean, Jessie J etc etc)

Many nations produce great music, but p4p the UK has got to be #1. The US has provided me with more of my own personal faves though such as Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Metallica etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
I want to know what country do people that has great music and great artist. And give me an example i believe the US has the best music
I think that every country have some good music,keeping in mind that it is impossible that small countries have same amount good artists than in big countries...or even more.

You asked examples, here is something to my taste from Finland, concerning finnish rock-genre:

Honey B and T-Bones hjá Hemma. - YouTube

LOS BASTARDOS FINLANDESES - Houseful of Hooligans - YouTube

Leningrad Cowboys Get On - YouTube

Nightwish "I Wish I Had An Angel" with lyrics ( Tarja's finale with Nightwish ) - YouTube

Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Great list, Ty Led! Brits not mentioned there would include the Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Yes, DC 5, Herman's Hermits, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Yardbirds, Zombies, Roxy Music, Belle & Sebastian, Oasis, The Cure, Donovan and I'm sure, many more.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,763 times
I have no idea why there should be a difference between "favorite" and "best"... "Best" is a completely subjective term. If you want to say "most successful" or "critically acclaimed", then that's different.

USA has:

Elvis
Michael Jackson
(The two most successful solo artists of all time.)
The Beach Boys
Simon & Garfunkel
Bob Dylan
Buddy Holly
The Byrds
Bing Crosby
Muddy Waters
Billie Holiday
Frank Sinatra
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
Grateful Dead
The Allman Brothers
Bruce Springsteen
The Velvet Underground
Earth, Wind and Fire
The Mamas and the Papas
The Eagles
Chicago
Journey
Rare Earth
Boston
Linda Ronstadt
Van Halen
Blue Oyster Cult
Kansas
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Sly & the Family Stone
Stevie Wonder
The Carpenters
Diana Ross
Cher
Blondie
The Ramones
Joan Jett
Motley Crue
Guns 'N Roses
Velvet Revolver
Hall & Oates
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
NIN
REM
Pantera
Nirvana
Metallica
Alice in Chains
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
Coheed and Cambria
Wilco
Linkin Park
The Bird and the Bee
Yo-Yo Ma
Lana Del Rey
...And the list goes on and on... These are just off the top of my head.

The USA has had the most success and acclamation, in general. It can't be denied. Especially with solo artists. (The UK undeniably wins with classic rock bands, though, and probably with 80's New Wave.) This is, in large part, only because the US is ethnically diverse and able to innovate with music genres, but also because it is the third most populated country, and better able to funnel talent and market their music than the only countries that are more populated -- India and China. The UK, the former superpower, was the only other country that was able to market itself globally throughout the past century up until now. The English-speaking world has dominated throughout the last century, and who were the two countries with the highest population in that sphere? The USA, followed by the UK. These countries are allied culturally, to an extent, and able to bolster each other, as well. So what does this all mean? The US and UK had, and still have, an unfair advantage.

I've never liked this question about which country produces "the best" music. It is such a broad spectrum, how can you judge? It's an integral component of most cultures. All countries produce a wide range of music, especially in this day and age. Several hundred years ago, borders mattered more in that different types of music were restricted to specific styles and fewer players, and so perhaps you could weigh those styles and musicians, at the time, and generalize about which countries were best (although it would still be hard, because there is intelligence and beauty in every culture's musical forms). But today it's so international and the output is relatively immense and varied.

And no one person has experienced everything that every single country on this earth has to offer in terms of music. And even if you were able to do so, how could you possibly judge what you like best? You couldn't. You would find that there is a lot of stuff from every corner of the world that you loved; that is, if you aren't blind and you actually appreciate music, and not your own subjective prejudice.

I think one thing is indisputable: The potential for musical talent follows, at least roughly, population.

So it would be:

1. China
2. India
3. USA

etc.

Last edited by kaikleo; 08-17-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
To me who has the best music shouldn't be based on how many big name bands one can list or a band/singers commercial success. Really for the most part up until the internet one wasn't much aware of music from far away places, unless you were into obscure recordings, had a short wave radio or had lived in another country. What people heard was who the record companies signed. Pushed and promoted right can make the most mediocre a star. And if one wants to talk of the origins of music we have to give credit to Africa and other distant places. Great music can be found everywhere. There are excellent musicians and signers playing for peanuts and can't get a break, here and in far away lands. At least now they can use You Tube and hope to attract a following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music