Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times

Advertisements

There was a time in the US, not all that long ago, when few blacks played to white audiences. In the 50s artists like Pat Boone and Elvis Presley began covering rhythm & blues music and performing it for mainstream audiences. In those days, that meant white audiences. Cross-over recordings like Ain't That A Shame (Fats Domino) and That's All Right Mama (Arthur Crudup) made Boone and Presley very well known.

In 1965 The Righteous Brothers had a huge hit with You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling which was neither an R&B cover or a Motown production, but yet it sounded very much like soul. The song was written by Phil Spector, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. It soon became popular for white artists to have a similar soulful sound. Bands like The Box Tops and The Young Rascals were quite good at it.

I'm not a historian and I'm sure that I have oversimplified the beginnings of this type of music, but...

1. Who comes to mind for you when you hear the term "Blue Eyed Soul"?
2. Does the term still apply?
3. Is it / was it a stand alone music genre, or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
The first Brits that come to mind for me would be Steve Marriott,,Van Morrison,,Rod Stewart,,Steve Winwood,,Dusty Springfield,, Eric Burdon etc. In fact most Mod bands I`d think of as Blue Eyed Soul, although the term got lost a little under the heading of Mod...
Moving on a little I`d have to consider Annie Lennox and George Michael..
Today I`d go for Amy Winehouse,,Duffy,, and Sharleen Spiteri..
From the US I`d say Doobie Bros, Hall and Oates,,Boz Scaggs and Righteous Bros..But the first for me would have to be R. Dean Taylor, although he`s Canadian. Wasn`t he the first white artist signed to Motown as a writer/performer??? That`s a good tip in itself..
Just a sample of some favs..

YouTube - Small Faces - All Or Nothing

YouTube - Steve Winwood - Roll With It [classic ]

YouTube - Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle [yet another classic ]

I think the term is more relevant in the UK these days than it was in the 60s..All the old mods, the ones I know anyway, consider bands today like Oasis, Charlatans, Stone Roses and Seahorses to be Mod bands..To me they`re the psych side of Mod..Blue Eyed Soul doesn`t get lost within the Mod tag anymore...

Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Oh yes! Michael McDonald is the first person that comes to mind. He and the Doobie Bros, Leon Russell too...even though he cover's so many generes, my man -Van Morrison and someone I just adore is Travis Tritt. Travis is the more recent of the lot if you can call 1989 recent. One of the most unique voices in "new traditional" country music and a bonafide country star until Nashville turned into an even bigger pimp and introduced us to a whole 'nother lot of *hores and started *horing out *its and a$$, every other "new discovery" from reality talent shows, and chubby boys who don't stand a chance in cutting it in rock or pop, that have no resemblence to country music. And they still keep 'em comin' .

I've always been blown by his voice and style, but after hearing him singing duet with Patti Labelle - "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby.” (thanks to a post on this forum) I knew he was bonafide blue eyed soul.

Ooops I think I got a little carried away

Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,421 times
Paul Rodgers?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Average White Band
Saw them live back in the 70's--they were the real deal.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Hall & Oates was the first band that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread. H&O has consistently been under rated for years as just another pop duo, but their music transcends that label.

Here is an L.A. Times article that says it a lot better than I could:

For Hall and Oates, a new appreciation - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
Thought of as New Wave [the Brit definition] initially,but to myself were always Mod revival, three artists who have really shown their Soul credentials since...

YouTube - Paul Weller plays Broken Stones

YouTube - Elvis Costello - I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4KAI0v3oX0

Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
Like others here, I automatically think of Hall & Oates, probably because "Blue Eyed Soul" is always mentioned if their name pops up anywhere. The other one I think of is Van Morrison.
I don't consider it a stand-alone genre, but I'm not sure I can explain why!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Teena Marie comes to mind.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

Average White Band
Saw them live back in the 70's--they were the real deal.
Another one I left out I also forgot to mention Michael Bolton or was he too cringe worthy for some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music