Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows vinyl is better, so why do people buy cds?

I have a great hi fi stereo at home and play records only. They sound so much warmer and richer than compact discs. You can hear the music the way God intended with the mid range frequencies being more prominent.

CDs are harsh sounding and you only get the high and low end.

Plus, CDs compromise the fidelity of older recordings.

Vinyl is the way to go !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 AM

278 posts, read 802,657 times
I would imagine that vinyl records are hard to come by these days, there is no other choice but digital downloads and cd's. I still have a lot of my old vinyl record albums that I refuse to part with. They are the classics of rock!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 AM

Well if you go to Indie Record Shops they do carry a lot of vinyl, and new vinyl too

I got the Killer's Sam's Town on vinyl and it really sounds good on my 1964 hi fi stereo console.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I'm glad I still have my turntable and vinyl, but CDs and MP3s are a heck of a lot more portable.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I'm glad I still have my turntable and vinyl, but CDs and MP3s are a heck of a lot more portable.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm ashamed to say that I don't know how I lived without my Ipod before ... can't put a turntable in a car. Plus, with vinyl, there are issues with upkeep.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 AM

I'll agree that cds are easier to use with portability.

But its obvious that they had to compromise the sound quality and fidelity in order to make all that music fit on one little 'ol disc.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:15 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Everyone knows vinyl is better, so why do people buy cds?

I have a great hi fi stereo at home and play records only. They sound so much warmer and richer than compact discs. You can hear the music the way God intended with the mid range frequencies being more prominent.

CDs are harsh sounding and you only get the high and low end.

Plus, CDs compromise the fidelity of older recordings.

Vinyl is the way to go !
Actually what you are hearing is vinyl's inability to record and reproduce frequencies on the higher and lower end. With a CD(if a digital recording), all frequency reproduction is determined by the DA converter, not the media itself. Yes, there are SOME issues, but mostly with bad remastering. That's why you want CD's which are "DDD", which means the original recording was digital. Elton John's "Live in Australia" is one of the best representations of this type of recording I've heard, you may want to listen to that one.

As far as putting Jimi Hendrix on a CD, yeah, that can sound pretty bad. The original recording was analog, so anything you hear beyond a certain frequency range has been artificially added to the recording. It's kind of like colorizing black and white movies. It never looks right, the same way digitally remastered music never sounds right.

The answer is to keep the vinyl for the old stuff, and buy the new stuff on CD's.

-TT

Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
A bit off topic, but I'm a tad...jealous, of those of you who kept your vinyl collections!

I sold my late 70's/early 80's punk/hardcore collection as a young mother (needed the $$$ for baby stuff). I really regret losing my complete original Big Boys collection and I hope whoever has my translucent BLUE vinyl "The Faith" album is a deserving owner. ~sigh~

Brighter news: I recently picked up Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert at a thrift store for 50 cents a piece. Luckily I still have a turntable.

So, for you vinyl fans: best place (on line) to purchase needles???

Last edited by plaidmom; 02-19-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
A bit off topic, but I'm a tad...jealous, of those of you who kept your vinyl collections!

I sold my late 70's/early 80's punk/hardcore collection as a young mother (needed the $$$ for baby stuff). I really regret losing my complete original Big Boys collection and I hope whoever has my transluscent BLUE vinyl "The Faith" album is a deserving owner. ~sigh~

Brighter news: I recently picked up Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert at a thrift store for 50 cents a piece. Luckily I still have a turntable.

So, for you vinyl fans: best place (on line) to purchase needles???
J & R Music World in New York City is an excellent store. Joe Freidman is a bit of a !@#%(the J in J & R), lol, but the store his wife mostly runs is pretty good (Rochelle, the R).

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Section=1633 (broken link)

-TT

Old 02-19-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Actually what you are hearing is vinyl's inability to record and reproduce frequencies on the higher and lower end. With a CD(if a digital recording), all frequency reproduction is determined by the DA converter, not the media itself. Yes, there are SOME issues, but mostly with bad remastering. That's why you want CD's which are "DDD", which means the original recording was digital. Elton John's "Live in Australia" is one of the best representations of this type of recording I've heard, you may want to listen to that one.

As far as putting Jimi Hendrix on a CD, yeah, that can sound pretty bad. The original recording was analog, so anything you hear beyond a certain frequency range has been artificially added to the recording. It's kind of like colorizing black and white movies. It never looks right, the same way digitally remastered music never sounds right.

The answer is to keep the vinyl for the old stuff, and buy the new stuff on CD's.

-TT
Let me put it this way:
I only buy CDs for convienence, not sound quality. CDs lack the mid range frequencies which are most pleasureable to the human ear.

If I can find a new release on viny, I will definitely get it

I got The Killer's Sam's Town on vinyl and CD. The vinyl sounds much better.

Of course it depends on what you have. If you have a portable record player with a run of the mill needle, your records wont sound as good

I have a deluxe strereo consol

CDs are just too cheesy for me. But I do use CDs. Just not as often.

Dont get me started on "digital remastering". They totally ruin the recording that way.

I get so miffed when I see these misleading ads on TV for CD collections claiming they sound better than they originally did because they have been "digitally remastered". When they digitally remaster anything, they ruin the fidelity of the recording. Records sound closer to the way its supposed so sound in the studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music