Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM

25 posts, read 68,958 times

Advertisements

If by crimes you mean graffiti then yes you are correct. "The relationship between graffiti and hip hop culture arises from the appearance of new and increasingly elaborate and pervasive forms of the practice in areas where other elements of hip hop were evolving as art forms, with a heavy overlap between those who wrote and those who practiced other elements of the culture." Wikapedia

However, if my memory serves me correct most violent criminals in the world actually perferred Heavy Metal, rock and demonic songs than hip-hop. Also remember Rap & Hip Hop are two different things. Rap is genre of poetry and music in which rhyming lyrics are used, with or without musical accompaniment; and is one of the four elements of Hip-Hop. While Hip-Hop is a lifestyle movement created in the early 1970's.

So Blondie you're right... Ignorance is bliss.

I want to add that hip-hop doesn't create gangs... people do. As far as this whole educated thing you keep repeating. From reading your posts you are either a freshman in college or don't have a high enough IQ to properly convey an argument. Either way I would leave those statements out of your rebuttals. It's for your own good, you really are making your self sound like that inwhich you are mocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Ignorance goes along with people being uneducated! Face the facts!
Here it is in black and white! Hip Hop and crime go hand in hand!
What is Hip Hop Music? - Associated Content

Last edited by BitterSweetSarah; 03-22-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I think when they started giving out the Grammy for best hip hop and Rap artist in 1989? the music had to change. Once it became "Ligit" the focus of the artist went from communicating something to their people to $,$$$,$$$. It seems everybody who was rapping back then went in to the movies and TV. There was somthing about hip hop, funk , Jazz or what ever that inspired people if the artist knew they were not in it to get rich or the possibility didn't exist, I don't think its fair to connect hip hop with promoting gang activity because after all Bonnie and Clyde, Al Capone, and Pretty Boy Floyd robbed banks shot up people and got in their car and turned on the radio to chill to some kind of music also.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I mean I bought Shawty Los album and Lil Waynes, but I won't buy someone like Soulja Boy's album though.
So you're a hypocrite.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,552 times
haha the real talent hasnt made the radios yet.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
So you're a hypocrite.
I think Lil Wayne and Shawty Lo are a step up from Soulja Boy. I don't listen to the Carter 3 cd anymore either, it was alright but I probably won't listen to it again.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I think Lil Wayne and Shawty Lo are a step up from Soulja Boy.
So is me making farting sounds...

Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
i was looking through some old threds and this looked like something interesting.
anyway i think this video might sum up why hip hop is dying

YouTube - JAPCITY:OPPERATION PURSE SNATCHER PART I
did anyone actually watch the video? it funny as hell

Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think when they started giving out the Grammy for best hip hop and Rap artist in 1989? the music had to change. Once it became "Ligit" the focus of the artist went from communicating something to their people to $,$$$,$$$. It seems everybody who was rapping back then went in to the movies and TV. There was somthing about hip hop, funk , Jazz or what ever that inspired people if the artist knew they were not in it to get rich or the possibility didn't exist, I don't think its fair to connect hip hop with promoting gang activity because after all Bonnie and Clyde, Al Capone, and Pretty Boy Floyd robbed banks shot up people and got in their car and turned on the radio to chill to some kind of music also.
you maybe right. but it really didn't show a change until 1997 at the earliest. Hip Hop was still pure for several years after 1989. 1994 was one of the greatest years in hip hop history. 1995 and 1996 wasn't bad itself either.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,682 times
Started dying after 1998

Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Started dying after 1998
word , that was the year "The Miseducation of Laryn Hill" won the grammy. I think all the industry insiders had to know it could never be topped in terms of a rap,hip hop, R&B album. the criticts love it also. Maybe the years building up to that album will be seen as the classic era of hip hop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music