Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times

Advertisements

So what is the deal......why does it seem that it is cool to hate Creed. I don,t get it. To an old guy like me who grew up on classic rock, Creed is good........but it seems like they are always used as a punch line, whats the problem ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,103,431 times
Well, alot of fans who followed thier favorite groups when they were starting out start to badmouth them when the bands attain commercial success, accusing them of selling out or "going corportate." Hell, even The Doors lost a ton of fans when TV started using some of their tunes for commercials. But I never got that line of thinking; who can blame guys for getting successful and making money?
Anyway...I love Creed, and this song is one of my faves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoGWe9l-OG8

Old 11-27-2010, 02:08 AM

631 posts, read 1,072,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well, alot of fans who followed thier favorite groups when they were starting out start to badmouth them when the bands attain commercial success, accusing them of selling out or "going corportate." Hell, even The Doors lost a ton of fans when TV started using some of their tunes for commercials. But I never got that line of thinking; who can blame guys for getting successful and making money?
Anyway...I love Creed, and this song is one of my faves.
The frontman sings with a weird accent like he has a mouthful of porridge. Is it a usual accent for the citizens of Tallahassee?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,634,246 times
Not a fan of Creed. I always thought they were a Pearl Jam rip-off. That'snot what bugged me about them though. I can't get by Scott Stapp's "holier than thou" ego. He is supposed to be "Christian" yet he is (or was, who knows) a womanizer, an alkie and a drug addict. If you are going to be that fine, just don't preach about how perfect you are.

I also can't take someone seriously singing a song about the birth of his son while he's drunk on stage.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
The frontman sings with a weird accent like he has a mouthful of porridge. Is it a usual accent for the citizens of Tallahassee?
as opposed to that very clear and distinct vocal style of eddie vedder.......?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM

631 posts, read 1,072,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
as opposed to that very clear and distinct vocal style of eddie vedder.......?
It's not a style... I don't know how about Pearl Jam, but the frontman of Creed sings with a distinct accent I have never heard from NYC or LA bands. Take for example Blondie (NYC) or Metallica (LA), which don't have such a growling accent. Can you hear the difference?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 AM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
The frontman sings with a weird accent like he has a mouthful of porridge.
It's funny because it's true!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It's not a style... I don't know how about Pearl Jam, but the frontman of Creed sings with a distinct accent I have never heard from NYC or LA bands. Take for example Blondie (NYC) or Metallica (LA), which don't have such a growling accent. Can you hear the difference?
Yeah, I just listen to the above video, it almost sounds Irish , I dig it! NYC and LA ? What about Nashville ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3gL...eature=related

Last edited by silas777; 11-27-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-27-2010, 10:32 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So what is the deal......why does it seem that it is cool to hate Creed. I don,t get it. To an old guy like me who grew up on classic rock, Creed is good........but it seems like they are always used as a punch line, whats the problem ?
Because Creed achieved massive commercial success in spite of the fact that their music is horrible. Any time a musician attains huge success but makes bad music, you know that musicians and hardcore music fans are going to be mad.

So, do I need to go on about why Creed's music is bad? Should I talk about how they ape grunge's style without any of the subtlety or emotional depth of the bands who pioneered the genre (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.)? Maybe I could mention that Creed happens to have one of the worst front men of all time - a marble-mouthed jackass with a messiah complex?

The good news, though, is that when you remove Scott Stapp from the band, the music is a lot less horrible, as evidenced by the releases from Alter Bridge.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Because Creed achieved massive commercial success in spite of the fact that their music is horrible. Any time a musician attains huge success but makes bad music, you know that musicians and hardcore music fans are going to be mad.

So, do I need to go on about why Creed's music is bad? Should I talk about how they ape grunge's style without any of the subtlety or emotional depth of the bands who pioneered the genre (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.)? Maybe I could mention that Creed happens to have one of the worst front men of all time - a marble-mouthed jackass with a messiah complex?

The good news, though, is that when you remove Scott Stapp from the band, the music is a lot less horrible, as evidenced by the releases from Alter Bridge.
thats interesting, you say they have horrible music but then compare them to bands like pearl jam(most lyrics are unrecognizable such as my favorite yellow ledbetter.) and alice in chains.......please. nope not buying it.I find Creed to be good hard rock with fairly positive lyrics. Funny how people mention the commercial aspect of it...........isnt that what it is all about selling albums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music