Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,908 times

Advertisements

Duran Duran have been my obsession for most of my life. I decided to create this thread for myself to have a place where all the videos are right there for me to look at, and to stop me from constantly posting them on other peoples threads . I will also post any interviews or bits of trivia about the band.

If you don't like the band, you're entitled to your opinion but please don't stop in just to tell me so. Any fellow fans, please feel free to add your own favourites or anything else concerning the band that you would like to share. There is 30 years of material so I can keep this going for quite some time, all positive contributions are welcome.

I guess I will start where it all started for me. Planet Earth was their debut single (UK and Australia) in 1981 and might have even gone to number one here. It made me sit up and listen instantly (at the ripe old age of 11), I had never seen anything like these guys and the video was stunning in its day. It was directed by Aussie director Russel Mulcahy who had already started making a name for himself in the music industry directing a string of Australian groups and then moving to the UK to direct videos by all of the major pop groups of the day. Russel would go on to direct many of the bands early videos and then eventually movies.

Stylistically they started in the New Romantic trend of the time, they didn't stay in that style for long but will always be associated with that particular movement. This video shows them wearing the frilly shirts, baggy pants and boots that characterised the New Romantic fashion.

YouTube - duran duran - planet earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 04:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
OK I'll bite I love their music...

YouTube - Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf

YouTube - Duran Duran - Rio

YouTube - Duran Duran - Girls On Film

Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

Great songs

Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
One of my all time faves

YouTube - Duran Duran - Hold Back The Rain

But there are so many to choose from!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Cheesy memory lane time: I still have a tape recorded copy of an interview Simon le Bon and Nick Rhodes gave Rona Barrett on the radio way back around 1984 - in it Nick mentions that he just got married to Julie Anne Friedman (I had several mags like Star Hits where they printed pictures of their wedding, she was stunningly beautiful) and actually some callers got to call in and ask questions. I was not yet a teen and remember that I nearly fainted listening to it. The tape still has a heart-shaped sticker on it.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:59 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
If there was no Roxy Music there would have been no Duran Duran. Anyway, they were a good band. I like Oridnary World which a lot of people snIcker at. A great song which was a comeback of sorts aftre not having hits for several years.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Cheesy memory lane time: I still have a tape recorded copy of an interview Simon le Bon and Nick Rhodes gave Rona Barrett on the radio way back around 1984 - in it Nick mentions that he just got married to Julie Anne Friedman (I had several mags like Star Hits where they printed pictures of their wedding, she was stunningly beautiful) and actually some callers got to call in and ask questions. I was not yet a teen and remember that I nearly fainted listening to it. The tape still has a heart-shaped sticker on it.
She was beautiful, but apparently a bit of a nutter. They had some very public rows and then when they divorced they had a big fight over their daughter.

I bought any magazine that had a picture of them on it or in it. My whole bedroom wall was plastered with pictures of them, My mother used to call it the torture chamber...

Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
If there was no Roxy Music there would have been no Duran Duran. Anyway, they were a good band. I like Oridnary World which a lot of people snIcker at. A great song which was a comeback of sorts aftre not having hits for several years.
That's true, Roxy music were a big influence on them. They also site David Bowie as a major influence.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Another favorite

YouTube - Electric Barbarella - duran duran

Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Remember when the guys branched off into Arcadia and Power Station?

Here's one of my faves from those days:

YouTube - Arcadia "election day"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music