Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,682 times

Advertisements

Will Smith: He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper (1988), Big Willie Style (1997)
Lil' Kim: Hardcore (1996), The Naked Truth (2005)
Big Daddy Kane: Long Live the Kane (1988), Its a Big Daddy Thing (1989)
Eightball & MJG: Comin' Out Hard (1993)
Leaders of the New School: A Future Without a Past (1991), T.I.M.E. (The Inner Mind's Eye) (1993)
Roxanne Shante: Bad Sister (1989), The B**ch is Back (1992)
Slick Rick: The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (1988), The Ruler's Back (1991)
Dana Dane: Dana Dane with Fame (1987)
Doug E. Fresh (& The Get Fresh Crew): Oh, My God! (1986), The World's Greatest Entertainer (1988)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM

428 posts, read 620,634 times
Default Dynamite in the rap Eternity

YouTube - Lord, Have Mercy. God Only Takes Souls

Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
pretty much any KRS will be there

same with De La - although I think there most harsh comentary in respects to hip-hop is "Stakes is High" .... especially the title track - seriously just read the lyrics, great stuff

DE LA SOUL - STAKES IS HIGH LYRICS

also People Under the Stairs get it right as well

Goodie MOBs first album is great - Soul Food

Dana Dane is also a great call

what's disapointing is Kanye's first album had a few real good highlights on it that were right there, but he's really fallen off with his popularity and now does pretty much what he mocks

there are also a lot of guys, while not conscieous rappers, aren't just fad chasers ..... they may not be trying to get a message across, but they aren't just speaking for the trend either .... i think redman said it well "i'm much to grimy to dance with all that shiny @&#% on" - a direct shot at P-Diddy, Mace and all of those guys at the time

i wish there was more of that out there now - more balance, not everything has to be "money, hos & clothes"

Where is the next Queen Latifah to ask "Who you calling a b*%&h"?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Imo, in this generation both Kid Cudi and Wale are grossly underrated for their creativity and conscience music.

YouTube - Wale - Letter Ft. John Mayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJ7M...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y32Wr...eature=related

Last edited by solytaire; 10-27-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Well, I'd have to give it up to Eminem for this song. This song is BY FAR my FAVORITE. Eminem DOES NOT get the respect he deserves. Y'all REALLY need to listen to this song if you have not ever heard it. Even if you don't like Eminem.

YouTube - Eminem - Mosh(HD)

Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
Fearless Four
MC Shan
7A3
Kool Moe Dee
Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five
Tribe Called Quest
Ahmad
Souls Of Mischief

TBC at later date

Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
1. Talib Kweli

2. The Roots

3. Mos Def

4. Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

5. Dela Soul

6. Queen latifah

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,522 times
2pac
Common
Q Tip
Method Man/Red Man
Kanye West (College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation)
Mos Def
Lupe
Talib
Big L
Wu Tang Clan

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Default Watered down frat boy party rap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
or conscious rappers- as far as rap is concerned both are the same thing. A rapper that is consciously aware of his/her environment has the duty or obligation to inform their audience or fans what's going on in the world and should even make an effort of telling fans of what's morally right and wrong.

I see threads on C-D bashing rappers and rap as a whole, but then the same person who said they hated rap- I ask what musicians made you come to your conclusion and they say rappers like 50 cent, lil wayne, soulja boy, etc. etc.- Personally as a Hip Hop enthusiast I don't believe those rappers that are commonly named and ones like them are the best rap has to offer. I've been quoted saying that pop, rock, and country music suck- but I'm not a creditable source until I've heard the best in that genre. So here are some albums by MCs, rappers- whatever you want to call them that will make you at least understand the true meaning of rap music-( you still may like it but at least you've heard some of the Best)

Artist- Best 2-3 Albums

Common- Resurrection(1994) Like Water For Chocolate(2000) Be(2005)
Mos Def- Black on Both Sides (1999) The New Danger(2004)
Talib Kweli- Quality(2002) Right About Now(2005)
Pharoahe Monch- Internal Affairs(1999) Desire(2007)
The Roots- Illadelph Halflife (1996) Things Fall Apart (1999) Game Theory(2006)
Black Milk- Popular Demand (2007) Tronic (2008)
Lupe Fiasco- Food and Liquor (2006) The Cool (2007)
Little Brother- The Minstrel Show (2005) The Listening (2003)

This is just small sampling- feel free to add more of positive and good rappers
People bash that which their threatened by...sad to say, much of it is spawned by personal bias against the majority of those who create rap, regardless of style...

In other words it's a 'color' thing for many...
Rap, regardless of style, is associated with 'young black males'...and many in this country have a phobia against 'young blck males'...

Example...when it was made known that Slim Shady was Euro-American...suddenly those I heard say they couldn't stand rap (black guys)...suddenly became big fans of Slim Shadys...and were saying he was the best rapper of all time...

Kinda like what happened in the 50's with Elvis and other Euro-artist...

They would re-record songs sung by 'blck' artist...and then suddenly it was 'ok to play in your home' cause the guy singing it was 'like us'...

I'm not trying to fault find, simply pointing out human nature...

For instance...if young Euro-males had invented rap, many who now say they can't stand it, would be listening to it...

All that aside...as far as 'conscious' rap...you certainly don't hear it on main stream 'pop rap' stations...instead all you hear is what I call 'chorus, frat boy party rap'...

Where they're like 'Just halla whoop whoop...just halla...whoop whoop...shake your booty...booty booty booty...and halla...whoop whoop'...

I mean how do they get record deals?

You hear that nonsense and R&B artist who need 'street cred' so they collaborate with hardcore rappers to create what I call 'ballet rap'...

It would be equivalent to Iron Maiden creating a song with Madonna or Brittney Spears...
It's just not done in the Metal world...what's metal stays metal...and what's Ballad pop stays ballad pop...but for some reason in the hip-hop world they combine the two, and as a result you get this watered down Mariah Carey style of hip-hop...that's shoved down the mainstreams throat...

And is usally the only rap sounding songs they will ever hear...yuk...

If that's the only exposure I ever had to 'rap' or 'hip-hop'...I doubt I would like it either...

Radio stations just seem to play the stuff that appeals to frat boys who are drunk...and songs that just have a simple 'whoop whoop, just halla for ya boys' type of beat and simple lyrics...

They, radio stations, steer clear of the more quality stuff that has a more rythmatic beat and flow to it...and where the artist is actually saying something deep...radio stations don't play that...instead they just play the 'dumbed down rap'...where i five year old could write the lyrics...

Southern rap is kinda dry to me...and all sounds the same...I guess I still have a NE bias when it comes to best artist...Strong Iland type stuff...

And for a while the west coast was putting out some stuff, during the Pac era...

Seems now the only time they play rappers on the radio is if their doing some kind of ballet with a R&B female artist...he'll rap, she'll sing or howl...then heal rap (to give her song more street cred) and then she'll howl or sing somemore...that got old to me quick...R&B ladies trying to ride off the street credit of such rappers as 'Ja-rule'...him and Jennifer Lopez did one back in the 2001? that was actually good...

And then 100 copy cats followed...Women artist realized their album sales would go up 100% if they had Snoop dog or slim shady or Ludicris or busta rymes (him and janet Jackson) in their songs...

Run DMC sure never did anything korny like that...

Oh well, it is what it is...

Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I kind of liked parts of 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of... by Arrested Development and I remember thinking at the time it was "conscientious" or whatever. Although maybe they're not rap, I don't really listen to rap much so I'm not good at knowing what is or isn't rap. (I don't really disapprove of rap, or I don't disapprove of it anymore than I would heavy metal anyway, it's just not my taste)

I do like Queen Latifah, she has a lovely voice, but the CD of hers I have is not one of her rap albums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music