Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,997,244 times

Advertisements

One of the best thing about the 80s ( I barely remember it) was that the cheesy music was even good. I mean, hair metal that was just plain over the top, Men Without Hats, Duran Duran,...it was so cheesy, so ridiculous and so cetchy that it was good music...now?

I mean, back in the day, cheesy music was cetchy and made you smile. Now adays?...

I think the problem with Britney and the rest is that these people actually think they can sing. I mean, when Men Without Hats came up with "The Safety Dance" Ivan Doroschuk didn't try to sing like Marvin Gaye, instead, he just sang a cheesy, cetchy song the way it was meant to be sung
YouTube - Safety Dance- Men Without Hats

And that guy from Baltimora, did he try to impersonate Pavarotti when he sang that infamous stuck-in-your-head hit "Tarzan Boy"? NO!
YouTube - Baltimora - Tarzan Boy Or how about Cindi Lauper? Did she but on an evening gown and delude herself into thinking she's the next Bille Holiday? No! She just ran around in that big hair and had hits that will be remembered for years to come
YouTube - Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun DVD BEST QUALITY

Back then, they didn't take themselves to seriously, understood melody, cetchy hooks, and easy to sing songs...now adays? Beyonce trying to sing like Aretha Franklin with no melody, no hook, just rampant egotism
YouTube - Beyonce - Single Ladies ( Put A Ring On It) Official Video+ Lyrics Same thing with Timberlake, trying be be artist and not trying to be an entertainer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXm3Qg7sBo

Is there any cheesy pop music being made today that is cetchy and will be remembered ten years from now? The last "band" like that that I can think of was the Spice Girls. Sure, they couldn't sing if their lives depended on it, BUT AT LEAST THEY UNDERSTOOD THAT AND MADE UP FOR IT BY BEING FUN AND CETCHY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3wgaWAHo2Q Justin, Beyonce, Britney? None of them can sing either, but unlike the cheesy pop acts of yore, they are in denial about it and come up with all these songs that are designed not to be entertaining through melody and have cetchy lyrics but instead showcase their vocal talent (or lack there of)

I hear people say "where have all the dirty alternative bands gone"? Well, they're still there, you just have to find them...a real question is "where have all the Duran Durans and Cindi Laupers gone?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,852,481 times
You might have just hit the nail on the head with a big problem in today's music. They're all just way too into themselves.

Side note, I wouldn't describe Duran Duran as being cheesy. I just couldn't figure out what a lot of their songs were about. What on earth is the Reflex, anyway??? They were artsy and cool.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,328,029 times
Unapologetic Duranie here. The Reflex was about drug use, just some clever use of metaphor. Simon Le Bon creates atmosphere more than story anyway with his lyrics. As for modern "cheese" it is still around. The 80's has come back in a big way and making an impression on a lot of pop music around now. Here is a perfect example....

YouTube - Ready For The Floor - Official Video

Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM

4,417 posts, read 9,162,357 times
Men without Hats may be cheesy but not Duran DURAN.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,777,861 times
What was great about the 80's was the upbeat vibe to much of the music!!!
I can listen to 80s hit after 80s hit while on the computer or working on something..
And it puts me in a great mood.
Most of todays pop i would forget after hearing about it!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,028,792 times
80s dance pop is fun and happy music that is missing in the modern era, I guess we can blame the financial crisis for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I can listen to 80s hit after 80s hit while on the computer or working on something..

Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,684,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Unapologetic Duranie here. The Reflex was about drug use, just some clever use of metaphor. Simon Le Bon creates atmosphere more than story anyway with his lyrics. As for modern "cheese" it is still around. The 80's has come back in a big way and making an impression on a lot of pop music around now. Here is a perfect example....

YouTube - Ready For The Floor - Official Video
I didn't even know they existed as they are definately New Wave style and that was a cool video so thanks Lady Ice .

Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,137,029 times
Quote:
Any good cheesy music being made now adays?
Pretty much anything by Flight of the Conchords does it for me.

YouTube - Flight of the Conchords- Business Time

Too cheesy?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,684,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
That's because every decade since the 1920's has it's own identity in it's music and theme of the decade.

The 80's were very simular to the 1920's (Roaring Twenties) in which both decades were all about being cheesy and having fun as in the 20's it was the Jazz Age and everyone snorted cocaine and women first time ever wore mini skirts and sleeveless blouses and ''crop'' hairstyles i.e. Pat Benatar look and partied like it's 1999 and the 80's it was the Music Television or MTV age and everyone was snorting cocaine and women got rid of their ''Bell bottoms jeans'' and wore mini skirts and many had the ''crop'' hairstyle and looked like Pat Benatar and partying like it was 1999 (Prince song).

Both decades are unique in american history in they're partying and festive atsmophere hence the fun and cheesy music from them both.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,997,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
80s dance pop is fun and happy music that is missing in the modern era, I guess we can blame the financial crisis for that

Even before this whole recession started, what memorable, cetchy cheesy music was there? Like I said, the Spice Girls were the last such band I can think of, and that was in like 97-99, and the recession didn't start until 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music