Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eastcoast Rap or WestCoast Rap Which is better?
EastCoast 130 61.90%
WestCoast 80 38.10%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:34 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I don't know if anyone died but 5 people got shot. I live in a city with like 400,000 people 60 miles south of Denver and E-40 had a concert here just recently, the ironic thing is 5 people got shot at that concert too, and one person died in that incident. Neither one of the times was E-40 invloved though.
Yeah thats what I was thinking of,damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 12:37 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Yeah thats what I was thinking of,damn.
Some of the hip hop websites and magazines reported on it. I read it in my city's local news paper today.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 AM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times
West coast been doing it big. From the bay to sactown and back down. that alone has that whole east coast garbage on wrap!

Any of you young bucks know about too short? becasue it was his rap that got us out of that early booty rap that erik b and rakeim were doing from the east...

Old 04-05-2009, 01:16 AM

I love Too Short but you can't dismiss Rakim or the Eastcoast,Rakims a legend in every essence of the word and the East definitely played there part in hip-hop.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I love Too Short but you can't dismiss Rakim or the Eastcoast,Rakims a legend in every essence of the word and the East definitely played there part in hip-hop.
Ye I may have a bias but been lived in the deep east of the O and the TL of SF you just know I gotta rep!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:35 AM

136 posts, read 266,994 times
East. Easy. The Originators...

Old 04-05-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Ye I may have a bias but been lived in the deep east of the O and the TL of SF you just know I gotta rep!
Yeah no doubt,I grew up on mostly bay stuff but just hip-hop as a whole. The Bay was more territorial,In HP at the time you didn't play stuff from certain artists,especially from Fillmore. And Fillmore IMO had the best rappers in SF especially with San Quinn dropping his first cd at 14 and a lot of other people coming up,but RBL Posse where huge to us because they got really big but still held it down for HP and where in the Area a lot. When I moved to Vallejo for a couple years I really got shown a lot of the scene from the rest of the bay I wasn't up on before and to this day Mac Dre is my favorite rapper,We watched him grow all the way from California Livin and the Young Black Brotha/Rompalation days all the way to Thizzele Washington,crazy stuff,RIP.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah no doubt,I grew up on mostly bay stuff but just hip-hop as a whole. The Bay was more territorial,In HP at the time you didn't play stuff from certain artists,especially from Fillmore. And Fillmore IMO had the best rappers in SF especially with San Quinn dropping his first cd at 14 and a lot of other people coming up,but RBL Posse where huge to us because they got really big but still held it down for HP and where in the Area a lot. When I moved to Vallejo for a couple years I really got shown a lot of the scene from the rest of the bay I wasn't up on before and to this day Mac Dre is my favorite rapper,We watched him grow all the way from California Livin and the Young Black Brotha/Rompalation days all the way to Thizzele Washington,crazy stuff,RIP.
dont gimme no bammer weed we dont smoke that **** in the SFC!!!

B-legit, Mac mall - game recognize game in da bay main

Its crazy though I was mostly a east bay cat until I came to the city and then I learned about the SF rappers

Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
O wow this is easy.. East Coast, NY, NJ, MD, VA, NC, GA, FL, SC, come on.
Exactly, come on! If you're going to make this the Eastern seaboard vs. LA, then okay, but VA has a different sound than the rest of the Northeast and NC, GA, FL and SC are all in the South with a completely different sound! Just b/c theyre in the same time zone doesn't mean theyre the same culturally. And how much hip hop relevance has MD had?

Quote:
All the West Coast has is SoCal. The rest of the west coast doesn't have much of a Hip Hop influence.
You're absolutely right. I mean its not like there was ever Too Short, E-40, Spice 1, Digital Underground, MC Hammer, Sir Mix-a-lot, Rappin 4-Tay, Brotha Lynch Hung, X-Raided, Heiroglyphics, 2pac or Mac Dre. Do you even listen to hip hop? Ever heard the song "I Got 5 On It?" There's a lot more relevance in hip hop all over CA than you realize, and its not all coming from LA.

Quote:
And i do understand that there is other parts of CA with hip hop scenes around oakland and the bay area, but come on, it just can't touch NYC, Philly, Newark, or Baltimore.
Who is coming out of Baltimore, Newark or Philly that eclipses the Bay? I mean speaking on hip hop relevance. Influential rappers that people have heard about. I know there's not even any contest between those cities and the Bay in terms of sheer volume of rappers and underground following. Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you; I just seriously don't know of many people from those cities, unless I'm forgetting folks.

Quote:
Yea, just beacause it has it doesn't mean it's a buffet of it.
Sorry bruh, but you know nothing about what exists in the Bay then. There are so many artists from out here its not even funny. I don't know if you'd dig the sound of a lot of them, but this is the motherland of independent labels. 99% of our rappers (and I don't believe I'm even close to exaggerating) are not mainstream, and judging by what you've posted you haven't heard of them. Too many to list so I won't even bother, but our scene has been strong since the 80's and its never faltered. Our scene is known outside of our region, like in Kansas City, St. Louis, Denver, Seattle, etc., but I know the East doesn't know much about our guys so its really not your fault for not being aware. But I guarantee you there is much more than "a buffet of it."

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
HP had my favorite rappers always like UDI, 11/5, Dush Tray, Cloud Nine and RBL, and Sunnydale (believe it or not) actually came out with one of my favorite CDs back in the day: Ghetto Soldiers. But Fillmoe and Lakeview were right there too always w/ JT, Quinn, Mess, The Gamblaz, 4-Tay, Cellski, Baldhead Rick, SB, Cougnut, C-Fresh and of course the king of the City, Dre Dog/Andre Nickatina. Always loved the rest of the Bay, from Vallejo to EPA, but SF always had the style that appealed the most to me. And for me it was always HP>Fillmoe, but not by a lot. Not too much recent stuff tho, except for Equipto. You check him out at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music