Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM

69 posts, read 241,271 times

Advertisements

Just heard this song, and I think it's kinda cool how they are using rap and turning into something positive. What do you think?

YouTube - L.A.W. by Evangel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 AM

2,051 posts, read 9,335,208 times
:: listens carefully :: ... if you really want my
true opinion... I'm more encourage toward love
than law as a dynamic... so I would find this
oppressive tho I applaud the effort and motivation
toward a higher calling or purpose for humans...

Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
"The best remedy is the death penalty?"
I don't think so.
Agree with MAM. Besides, IMHO rap is not *innately* negative.
It is again time to bring out Sister Rosetta. Watch her take her solo at about 1:30.

YouTube - Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Up Above My Head

Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM

14 posts, read 38,168 times
Gospel Music! i really can t say whether i liked the song you have posted or not, coz they sound good on sunday morning only... and the lyrics are so... non 'MY' types, so really cant listen & see a video of gospel music!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I don't think so.
It is again time to bring out Sister Rosetta. Watch her take her solo at about 1:30.

YouTube - Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Up Above My Head
WoW, just freakin' WoW!!!

Thanks BWP!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,081 times
It's okay - there are other genres of gospel music i prefer i really like mary mary as their beats are really upbeat and their message is positive

Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 AM

602 posts, read 2,033,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I don't think so.
First off, if you listen to the entire song, its obviously about the Ten Commandments. In the Bible, the punishment for breaking those Commandments is death in many cases, so I think its more of a quoting of Scripture rather than any personal or political belief. Personally, I think thats the first piece of Christian Rap I've heard that I like.

But, Sister Rosetta ROCKS! WOW! That blew me away, man! Thats like Mahalia Jackson meets Chuck Berry! SWEET!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,732 times
Yeah, there is a lot of Gospel rap out there

I would say the genre (gospel hip hop) is a good 15-20 years old now (at least) but recently (last 5 years) it has really gotten to the quality level that would be on par with mainstream hip hop. I would say that it has recently (in my humble opinion) surpassed mainstream hip hop in terms of quality...I dunno if that is a testament to the improvement of Christian rap or the decline of mainstream or possibly a combo of both.

If you're really interested in some very high quality gospel hip hop, check out:

Da' Truth
Thebreax
Rhema Soul
Tedashii
Sho Baraka
Ambassador
Trip Lee
Sharlok Poems
K-drama
Grits
Flame
Japhia Life
Knowdaverbs
Lecrae

They're all different styles of hip hop (Southern, East Coast, West Coast, Old School, New Skool, etc) so you would have to pick and choose through them..and of course there are hundreds more that I won't list... If you listen and you like them just send me a message and I can get you some of their music (this goes for anyone really).

You'll find its certainly come a long way since Kirk Franklin came out with STOMP..lol

Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM

496 posts, read 1,054,881 times
Kacey's Corner-Gospel
Heres a gospel site I found You might like

Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,519 times
in my opinion the very best version of this gospel standard

loved the movie, the producers, the actors and most all the musical selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music