Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,277,426 times

Advertisements

Like I said, What is wrong with music in general? I cannot remember the last time I heard any band or song that I like! This commercialized, X-rated, talentless garbage that is all over the radio sucks. They all follow the same formula too. Every song is about bumping, grinding, screwing ect. I am not a prude, and I don't think I'm over the hill yet (32), but it is just talentless garbage. Rock is dead too! The crap that passes for rock, or emo, or whatever that whiny trash is, is an embarrassment to rock music. If some punk kid even tried to play that whiny crap in front of a legitimate rock band in my day, they would get a beat down for trying to disgrace rock and roll. There is no feeling, or connection to music anymore. There are no songs that you can identify with, and feel as though the lyrics were literally written about you, because you feel them so much. Even the rap, hip-hop music seems to have lost the true talent. True talent and skill like Busta Rhymes, Red Man...you know.. true ground breaking stuff, has been replaced with Lil Wayne, Kanye West ect. These guys cannot even shine the shoes of thier predecessors. I grew up in the time of Metallica, Guns and Roses ect. back then those guys were written off as just noise, but at least there was harmony, talent, some of the guitar back then was amazing, now bands do not even play solo's, they don't have the skill. The last band that I even somewhat liked was probably Radiohead in the 90's. The Killers kind of have my attention because at least they try to write songs with a little deeper meaning to them then your typical "trying to screw someone on the dancefloor" music we have become accostumed too, but even there, they cannot even come close to the talent of REAL legendary bands over the previous two, three decades. Does anybody else feel this way, or am I just getting old? There has always been crap music, in my day it was stuff like Paula Abdul, New Kids on the block ect, but at least it was balaced with some good talented music, these days it just seems like it is all crap! Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Hook your computer up to your stereo (a Y-cable), then
Try
WMBR.org - College station from MIT in Cambridge, Mass.
WNUR.org - College station from Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
KALX - College station from U of C, Berkley, Calif.
Radio Canal Sud - Free form radio from Toulouse, France
WZRD - College station from Northeastern University, Chicago

Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,277,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Hook your computer up to your stereo (a Y-cable), then
Try
WMBR.org - College station from MIT in Cambridge, Mass.
WNUR.org - College station from Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
KALX - College station from U of C, Berkley, Calif.
Radio Canal Sud - Free form radio from Toulouse, France
WZRD - College station from Northeastern University, Chicago
Thanks I'll give it a try. But do you know what I mean? Gwen Stefani B-Bananas b-a-n-a-n-a-s? How is it possible that a song that lame and stupid can make it to #1? Or Miley Cirus, or the Jonas Bros. I just feel that music of all kinds, at all levels is just cheap, throw away garbage with no feeling or skill anymore. There is no such thing as a music legend anymore the the 50's had Elvis and Buddy Holly, the 60's had The Beatles, Stones, Dylan and countless others, the 70's had there Pink Floyds, Elton Johns, the 80's gave us legendary rock bands, guitar hero's like Van Halen, 90's had legendary grunge bands. I just do not see ANYTHING of interest at all in the new millenium. I consider myself into rock mostly and I can respect anything from Bob Dylan, to Bruce Springsteen, to Busta Rhymes, to The Smashing Pumpkins, to a System of a Down and everything in between, so I have a vast appreciation for different forms of music, but I see nothing but commercial/pop garbage like Miley Cirus, and completely talentless wannbe rap stars like Lil Wayne and his ilk in the present and on the horizon. I know the record industry is in it for the money, but at least they used to TRY to produce something halfway talented. And it's all forms of music the top 40 crap is just laughable, and the rock stations, and new metal stations just rehash the same old stuff over and over and over ect. NEW METAL! If you call The Stone Temple Pilots new metal still then you have some issues, but they keep playing these "oldies" because there are no good "newies". I'm sorry but the "Great American Rejects" and "Panic at the Disco" "Fallout Boy" make me puke! Black Sabbath would've pummeled these wussies on the spot back in the day. I know every generation doesn't have much respect for the next generations music, but honestly, this new music is pathetic, it's cheesy, has no meaning, feeling, or emotion. I don't know what else to say, except that I feel sorry for this generation, and the crap that they settle for and call music. I don't see ant redeeming qualities about any music on the radio rap, metal, rock, or top 40 (which I never cared for anyway).

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM

421 posts, read 1,566,696 times
Dude, not just you at all. I'm 37, thought until recently it was just the generation gap between myself and those now under 25, but I think there is more to it than that. When I graduated high school and started college, I was really in to Metallica, Scorpions, Winger, Def Leppard, etc., but I still had bands I didn't like such as Poison. When Nirvana hit, I thought they were a joke because they played so poorly. Pearl Jam, however, I found to be majorly cool, and still enjoy to this day. Being on a college campus, I remember that most of my buddies also thought Nirvana sucked, but liked Pearl Jam immediately. We also were still listening to bands like Quiet Riot. In recent years, though, I've talked to dudes 5 to 7 years younger than me who really thought Nirvana ruled, really thought bands like Def Leppard sucked, and actually thought The Smashing Pumpkins and The Offspring were something other than noise. Nickelback? A total joke, IMO. Poison sounded like Yngwie Malmsteen Live in Leningrad compared to this cheesy stuff, LOL!!! Heck, Nelson was better than Nickelback!!! This has been the decade of the whiny, talentless, un-melodic, depressing, no guitar solo, Nickelback sound-alike band. Heck, even R.E.M. sounds ballsy compared to this stuff, LOL!!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
::waggles finger::
Now just a minute, sonny.
WB and Orwell
I've got many years on both of you guys, and I still manage to find great new music.
Young people in their early teens and twenties share and bond through music; it's always there for them, they live and breathe it.
It seems like some people in their late 20's through late 30's go through some sort of crisis with music, and end up facing a fork in the road. They can choose either the untrod path where you have to make an effort to find (and be open to) new stuff.
Or they choose the safer road, feel sorry for the younger generation, and wallow in their favorite music from when they first came of age.
Because the music from when you were younger is the only decent music, right?
Visvaldis has offered a useful opportunity.
There is an indie thread in this forum with a lot of good bands listed.
There has been a lot of good new music coming out of Glasgow, Scotland.
I really like what Jack White's been doing--he's got a finger in several different genres. Don't bother listening to anything owned by Clear Channel.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,173,251 times
I know I'm an old fart but I remember when bands were actualy skilled musicians and people could actualy sing.
Songs had a message or theme or humor or a get your attention beat or rhythm.
Now it seems to me it's just too many people who just scream because they cant really sing, people who play instruments who just beat on them because they really can't play them, and song subjects and language that are obscene because that influences weak gullible minds that think they need to be as impressed with low quality entertainment as their peers are.
Most of it comes down to money. You don't have to have talent, you just need to impress, good or bad, to make the money.
Unfortunately, too people many are too easily entertained by those who only do what they do to enrich themselves (if only for a short time) instead actualy trying to learn and promote real music.
There is a hell of a lot of difference between Cadillac's and Yugos.
We just seem to get the Yugos these days.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
For the older rock fans check out the Black Keys (also White Stripes). But especially the Black Keys. They have that bluesy/classic rock sound.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I know I'm an old fart but I remember when bands were actualy skilled musicians and people could actualy sing.
Songs had a message or theme or humor or a get your attention beat or rhythm.
I am an old fart, too--54 years old.
Listen to the Fleet Foxes,War On Drugs (specifically, the song Taking Back the Farm) or Vampire Weekend and get back to me.
Google Derek Trucks and listen to his guitar and his superb band.
CharlottePirateFan's suggestions are excellent.
I dunno, this is the umpteenth zillionth thread about What's Wrong With Today's Music; Oh, By the Way, Let's All Hate On Rap, Too.
I and others offer alternatives to the Top 40 crud, but I think perhaps our message is not getting through.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
LOL. I know exactly what you mean W-B Proud. I also realize that we have become our parents.

Let's look back to the 40s when parents thought that jitter-bug was improper behavior. The 50's when rock-and-roll became a pulpit issue and, thus, the road to hell. The 60s when parents thought that Dylan and Baez and the music of the hippie generation/flower children would damage the future of the country because the kids would wander aimlessly smoking pot and experiencing free love while marching against the Vietnam war.

In short, the history of music in the US is one of the adults not liking the stuff the kids are listening to.

And yet, and yet, there is always good music to find. I appreciate the links to the "good stuff."

Old 06-22-2009, 07:16 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
How anyone can listen to the current offerings of mainstream music and not think that it has not signifigantly REGRESSED - especially in the past 15-20 years - is completely beyond me. Whenever I listen to tunes from the 60's and 70's especially I feel like I'm listening to the Shakespeares and Einsteins of mainstream music history, and that it's all somehow morphed into an endless episode of the Oprah Winfrey show today.

Hell, even a lot of the young kids today know the mainstream music of their age is total crap. Do you know how many teenage kids I know that worship artists like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen, CCW, AC/DC, Boston, The Stones, Dylan, Springsteen........and SPIT on the music of today?

Take comfort, though, music lovers.....the good music's still out there. You just have to dig for it. You're not gonna hear it on the radio and you're not gonna see the artists on any of the million cable outlets. You gotta go to the little clubs, you gotta surf the net, you gotta ask around.....you gotta DIG for it now. But it's worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music