Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The Spaghetti Incident?
Not as bad as Chinese Democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I have alway disliked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Cut_(album) but one could almost argue that it is not a Floyd album.

How about anything from Def Leppard after Andrenalize? It is pretty bad too but not compared to their later stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
In no particular order . . .

Avalanche---Mountain
Solid Silver---Quicksilver Messenger Service
Win, Lose, or Draw---The Allman Brothers Band
Live---Jr. Walker and the All Stars (The recording is so bad it's unlistenable, and those guys usually kicked three asses for the price of one live . . . )
Love Is . . . ---Eric Burdon and the Animals. (Band does not live by the all-time superquirk cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" alone . . .)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
In no particular order . . .

Avalanche---Mountain
Solid Silver---Quicksilver Messenger Service
Win, Lose, or Draw---The Allman Brothers Band
Live---Jr. Walker and the All Stars (The recording is so bad it's unlistenable, and those guys usually kicked three asses for the price of one live . . . )
Love Is . . . ---Eric Burdon and the Animals. (Band does not live by the all-time superquirk cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" alone . . .)

Agreed.
Mountain's "Avalanche" album could have been so good but unfortunately flopped. The reason I say could have been so good is that they had released three consecutive live albums and their fans wanted new material. I saw them twice in that period (1971 and 1974) and played great sets! I'm thinking the West, Bruce and Laing albums kind of gotten in the way. WBL! Now this is a group I can guarantee as not being talked about on this forum until now. I remember Clive Davis of Columbia records really wanting to push these guys. Back to "Avalanche", when they sold out the Denver Colisseum in August '74, I was ready for new material. Was let down big time after buying it and giving it a listen.

Eric Burdon and the Animals "Love Is". I would have never wanted a group to go out this way. Back then 2 lp sets were costly (this was around Nov. '68), that lp cost around $7.99-back in '68 that wasn't cheap. One of my college buddies bought it, I gave it a listen, and the first thought to come out of my head was "2 lp set, hmm, should have been just one, after listening to a couple cuts. After a few more songs I was debating about even ONE! Actually, River Deep Mountain High wasn't all that bad a cover song compared to their version of the BeeGees "To Love Somebody". Yikes! I remember a couple years later that I bought that lp out of the cut out bin at Montgomery Wards stereo department (yep, they sold albums back then!) It was cheap, like say 99 cents.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-14-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 PM

65 posts, read 218,578 times
unmasked by kiss

Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Crazy Nights is worse.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
St. Anger by Metallica has to be at the top of the sh*t list for me.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers laid a turd with Mojo.

Most of Fu Manchu's catalog after Start The Machine.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
WBL! Now this is a group I can guarantee as not being talked about on this forum until now. I remember Clive Davis of Columbia records really wanting to push these guys.
No surprise, considering there was a big bidding war for them when Leslie West, Jack Bruce, and Corky Laing decided to hook up. And, that their first gig as a working group was Carnegie Hall. Where it worked against them was that they worked under pressure to produce "big" product and didn't have a chance to feel where they could go, particularly with their songwriting. (It was something like the Blind Faith story all over again, even if West, Bruce and Laing didn't create quite the earthquake Blind Faith did to the point where Blind Faith's getting together provoked one of the major mergers of the music industry before they'd even gotten to finish an album!) Which was a shame, because a) you could take a few cuts from Why Dontcha and Whatever Turns You On and make one excellent album out of them; and, b) most important, there was clearly something there between them, even if their songwriting was still lacking after the second album. Their live album, Live 'n' Kickin', was badly produced and the performances weren't all that great. I'd seen them live and I knew they were better than Live 'n' Kickin'.

If there was one WBL cut that showed above all where their promise might have been, it was probably Why Dontcha's set closer, "Pollution Woman."

Big marketing mistake---the cover of Whatever Turns You On. Tacky and lame---R. Crumb the artist wasn't, and it made WBL look like a joke band.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Let me revive this thread. Great Topic

Turbo by Judas Priest
Fly on the Wall by AC/DC
Hot Space by Queen
Dynasty by Kiss
Theater of Pain by Motley Crue
Adrenalize by Def Leppard
Agent Provocator by Foreigner (I agree)
Kilroy was Here by Styx
Afterburner by ZZ Top
Ultimate Sin by Ozzy
Youthanasia by Megadeth
Time by ELO
The Hunter by Blondie
Gaucho by Steely Dan
Presence by Led Zeppelin
Little Miss Dangerous by Ted Nugent
Pop by U2
Presto by Rush
Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden
Panorama by The Cars
OU812 by Van HAGAR
Lap of Luxury by Cheap Trick

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Unmasked and Crazy Nights were the worst of Kiss. Dynasty was the album that laid the groundwork for their downfall. The only good 80's Kiss album was Creatures of the Night featuring War Machine. Really, the only thing good since Creatures was Revenge thanks to Domino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music