Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times

Advertisements

Hank Williams-The best!

His grandson, Hank III

Dollys version of Silver Dagger

OCMS

George Jones

Merle Haggard

Willie/Waylon

Drive by Truckers and Uncle Tupelo(both "alt" country)

another vote for Emmylou, she's great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times
Marty Robbins
Freddie Fender

YouTube - Marty Robbins "Devil Woman" 1978 Country Holland

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I have been expanding my music interests as of late. I never thought I would like country, but have discovered some of this music is good! I seem to like songs from 1975-85. Most so far have been cross-over artists. Examples of songs I like:

Eddie Rabbit "You Don't Love Me Anymore" Very well arrainged.

Kenny Rogers/Dottie West "What Are We Doing In Love?"

Steve Wariner " All Roads Lead To You" I love this song! Sounds like the Pop Duo England Dan/John Ford Coley.

Can you all suggest some other groups/Artsists That I can try as well?

The newest(though at least 10 years old) I like - Little Texas "What Might Have Been".

Thanks!
In (roughly) chronological order..

Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr. are good old school country.

JJ Cale is one of my favorites, maybe more of an Oklahoma blues musician than 'pure country', and his early albums (1970-1979) are the best. If you only picked one from my suggestions, it should be him.

"The Band" recorded some unbelievable records in the 60's and 70's. They were originally popular as Bob Dylan's backup band, but are stars in their own right. Again, not country by a strict definition, but on the fringe.

Speaking of Bob Dylan, "Nashville Skyline" is his well-known country album, worth checking out.

Tony Rice is half-man, half-god. Not a catchy songwriter, but a notable country musician nonetheless, who is an unbelievable guitar picker.

Clint Black, Alabama, George Strait and Randy Travis recorded some solid late 80's/early 90's country that was very popular.

Others mentioned Robert Earl Keen, Jr; him and Steve Earle are good Texas country musicians that aren't mainstream.

Drive-by truckers were another suggestion; just don't go see them live, and you might like them.

Ryan Adams could possibly pass for country, on some of his albums. He's a new artist, but has several albums with a distinct country sound.

Like DBT or Ryan Adams, Wilco could maybe pass for alt-country. At least, they're more "country" than what you hear on Nashville pop radio.

Hank Williams III is a lunatic, but may be worth checking out if you don't have any better ideas.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
I would also like to mention Mel Tillis.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Some pretty good country artists listed here!

I'll add a few more regarding the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Ladies: K.T.Oslin, Janie Fricke, Emmy Lou Harris, Dolly Parton, Dottie West, Charly McClain, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Louise Mandrell, Barbara Mandrell, Connie Smith.

Groups; Statler Brothers, Gatlin Brothers, Bellamy Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys, Kendalls, David Frizzell/Shelly West.

Guys: Johnny Russell, Mickey Gilley, Moe Bandy, Joe Stampley, Johnny Lee, Tompall Glazer, Kris Kristofferson, Ronnie McDowell, Cal Smith, T.G. Shepard, Ronnie Milsap, Gary Stewart, Mickey Newbury, Waylon and Willie, Hank Jr., Charlie Pride, Ed Bruce, Don Williams.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-21-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
Thank You all!!! I have soooo much to check out. I am liking Johhny Lee and Ronnie Milsap too as they are, um, very mainstream. Not sure if they are pure country, but it is clear, I especially like the 70's-80's sound. The songs are well produced( meaning I love the strings and stuff that are put together well). I consider Stever Wariner "All Roads Lead To You" a very well produced song with a big hook. Unlike pop, it is very interesting that most songs are actual stories. I am very impressed. Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 AM

480 posts, read 878,393 times
Lyle and Emmylou are great, and you might also like Gram Parsons and Steve Earle. And of course, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson.

Lucinda Williams is a great singer-songwriter. I think "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" is one of the best CDs ever.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
Another Ronnie Milsap mention along with Merle Haggard,Waylon Jennings and The Judds. The other posters have listed some others I agree with so I won't need to list them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music