Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
What I meant...Such different types of music. And not really crossover types. I like Nirvana. But hey, I'm a little guitarded! I don't know anything about Tupac's music. So, I can't make the call on who was "best."

I really liked Nirvana Unplugged also.

YouTube - nirvana - come as you are - unplugged 93

And one from Tupac. I don't know his music, so how's this? It's kind of catchy to me. Nice bassline. What lyrics also.

YouTube - Tupac - Only God Can Judge Me

DesertSun-You and I probably can't begin to understand where he's coming from, but....the previous song has quite a powerful message about God, life, the media, division, etc. Think I'll try one more.

YouTube - Tupac - Me Against The World

I can't put myself in his shoes, but I know the feeling he's describing. Me against the world. I've felt that way many days, and I never had to experience the troubles he did.
Saucy you generally have really good taste in music. We always see eye to eye on good music. So I am surprised you can give any credit to a wrapper who couldn't even say a sentence without Fing this and Fing that.

Are you telling me this waste of human flesh talked a timed poem in rhymes about God to the sound of a scratching record stylus? Where are the religious fanatics? Where are the church protests? This hero of the thugs in the inner ciy high schools was a registered sex offender. He had a wrap sheet as long as his cursing vocabulary, most all gun related.

I did watch one of his movies. He was not really too bad an actor. I do admire his feelings on wishng we were all equal. No races, no social classes, that everyone is equal with no more rights then the next which is so common today. I just wish he practiced more what he preached and without all the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM

75 posts, read 262,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Pick your poison. All trash. At least Cobain had a micro bit of talent though. The wrapper had none except violence and curse words.

( it's actually Rapper )
I love Kurt Cobain Nirvana was a great band and his music will be remembered forever, But I'd Say Tupac was a better Artist, Cobain had a lot of drug addled lyrics that made little to no sense on several songs, Tupac was about what he had experianced plus he went on to act in several movies showing more artistry then just music... As for apples and oranges I agree but I am not comparing on tastes I prefer Rock, Nu metal, and heavy metal.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,572 times
I like them both. But I would prefer Tupac.

YouTube - Tupac - If My Homies Call

YouTube - Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 AM

122 posts, read 211,002 times
They are both DEAD because of there own stupidity.

You cant call either a Guinness!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNemesis View Post
( it's actually Rapper )
I love Kurt Cobain Nirvana was a great band and his music will be remembered forever, But I'd Say Tupac was a better Artist, Cobain had a lot of drug addled lyrics that made little to no sense on several songs, Tupac was about what he had experianced plus he went on to act in several movies showing more artistry then just music... As for apples and oranges I agree but I am not comparing on tastes I prefer Rock, Nu metal, and heavy metal.

Sounds like you have good taste in music. But it is wrapper. That's what we call it here.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
As far as the rap genre goes, Tupac was good. However, I really do not follow rap. He obviously is better than any rapper out there today. The genre is in major decline. Even though I have other music/entertainment interest, I objectively say that rap from the 90's and 80's is better than the stuff out today. Tupac was a big part of the old school, so I give him his due.

Cobain was a visionary, genius, and a Messiah of epidemic proportions. He along with his band mates were the forerunners of the grunge style and not many did it better except perhaps the Breeders. Nirvana should not be held responsible for the horrible sound alike post grunge drivel that came after them, just like the Beatles are not faulted for the existence of Gilbert O Sullivan.

In regards to the alleged suicide of Cobain, there is enough evidence to suggest that his death was the result of foul play. The gold digging, untalented wench, Courtney Love will eventually pay the price. cobaincase.com - The Kurt Cobain Murder Investigation by Tom Grant

Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Cobain was a visionary, genius, and a Messiah of epidemic proportions.
Hardcore fans of all artists believe this. Objectively, we don't know if either artist would prove to be such a genius over time. Whose to say that had either or both artists lived, we wouldn't think of them as washed-up has-beens now?

Both Cobain and Tupac died near the height of their popularity. It's easy to remember them as great. Time will never tell however.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,216 times
two words by far... KURT COBAIN!

no explanation. its a point of obvious. and hello!!! Creator of Grunge people Tupac? Please

Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Your narrow minded folk is a musical genius and a 35 year veteran musician. I dont need to qualify myself first to say tooback has no talent. It's a fact, not my or anyones opinion. This wrapper violent animal who lived by the gun met his match with a gun. Our streets are safer without him and the radio is cleaner without him.

If being able to rhyme curse words is talent to you then may I say you are real easy to please and do not think very highly of your fellow man. Not to mention you are mocking on our already crumbling education system.
1) funny, I though this was the MUSIC forum. we're not here to judge the personal life of a musician, we're here to judge their musical talent, right? I don't support Tupac's personal life (I personally HATE "Hit Em Up", lyrics wise. too vitriolic), but I leave that separate from his musical endeavors. same w/ all the junkie rockers, the adulterous rockers, abusive pop stars, etc.

2) I think very highly of my fellow man. hence why I can separate their personal lives from their creative lives. lots of artists have done bad, illegal, amoral things. doesn't make their art any less lovely or worthwhile

3) last I checked, art doesn't have a set definition, a set criteria. you may not like curse words, but many use to to create poetry and art. Lewis Carroll created an entire, beloved poem from mostly nonsensical words. lucky for us, you are not the end all, be all judge of what is "good art", even if you consider yourself a "musical genius" (right...)

3) I love how you say I'm "mocking our educational system" when you can't even spell rapper. yeah, I'm sure you think you're being cutesy, but you're just coming off as narrow minded, judgmental, and silly, especially sense you have a history of making such statements, even to the point of hijacking threads w/ any mention of hip hop or rap

loo
saucy, awesome video links. thanks. both were geniuses that left before their time, just too hard to compare them. loose cannon, you make a VERY good point. I'm not sure grunge would have survived w/o Nirvana, yet rap would have gone on w/o Tupac (already had Biggie, Snoop, Dre, NWA, etc). for that reason alone, Cobain deserves a lot of props. grr, hard question indeed, must listen to more Nirvana and think about this some more later!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 PM

408 posts, read 724,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynlriche View Post
They are both DEAD because of there own stupidity.

You cant call either a Guinness!
MmMmmm...

Guinness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music