Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Genesis - Ripples

YouTube - Genesis Entangled

YouTube - Genesis - Blood On The Rooftops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
I'm so happy that Genesis finally got inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I can finally say to people that my favorite band got their proper recognition among the "rock establishment."

I prefer Genesis when Peter Gabriel was in the band, however, I love most of the stuff the band did with Phil Collins. That's right - I even like some of the tracks on "Invisible Touch" and "We Can't Dance!" Here are my favorite songs from the two eras of the band:

Peter Gabriel era:

YouTube - The Carpet Crawlers by Genesis

Phil Collins progressive rock era:

YouTube - Genesis - Squonk - Six Hours Live

Phil Collins pop era:

YouTube - Genesis - Mama (1983)

I also happen to think that "Mama" is one of the best music videos of all time.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Hey Pitts, I'm not so sure anyone can love Genesis more then I but we also have another mutual love for Renaissance and you might enjoy the great great great Annie Haslem doing Collins version of Ripples.

Whataya think of this:

YouTube - Annie Haslam - Ripples

Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Hey Pitts, I'm not so sure anyone can love Genesis more then I but we also have another mutual love for Renaissance and you might enjoy the great great great Annie Haslem doing Collins version of Ripples.

Whataya think of this:

YouTube - Annie Haslam - Ripples
Hey Desertsun.....I love both groups....but give a slight edge to RENAISSANCE....especially since they recorded many more great albums relative to the few by GENESIS and Phil's singing voice cannot match the GREAT Annie Haslam(I think she is in a class by herself). Thanx for RIPPLES.....I had NO idea she had recorded her own version. .

Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Hey Desertsun.....I love both groups....but give a slight edge to RENAISSANCE....especially since they recorded many more great albums relative to the few by GENESIS and Phil's singing voice cannot match the GREAT Annie Haslam(I think she is in a class by herself). Thanx for RIPPLES.....I had NO idea she had recorded her own version. .
Give me Wind and Wuthering on a deserted island with only one CD to play. The next one can be Renaissance. Did you know Annie owns an art store in New Hope, Pa.? She is always there if you want to meet up with her and she is one hell of an Artist too. It's a neat (but mostly gay) little Delaware River town full of quirky Hippy stores to browse or just sit at a sidewalk coffee cafe.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Give me Wind and Wuthering on a deserted island with only one CD to play. The next one can be Renaissance. Did you know Annie owns an art store in New Hope, Pa.? She is always there if you want to meet up with her and she is one hell of an Artist too. It's a neat (but mostly gay) little Delaware River town full of quirky Hippy stores to browse or just sit at a sidewalk coffee cafe.
I love WIND AND WUTHERING too and TRICK OF THE TAIL. I have a friend who knows ANNIE personally from his performing days; so I knew about her artwork. The mostly gay is fine with me ....I would love to meet her in person, as I feel she has the world's best singing voice.....after hearing her sing MOTHER RUSSIA twice, live in concert.....there is no comparison as their live performance is as good as a studio version. However here are three more of GENESIS'S best songs.....that I can find....IMHO>>>>>

YouTube - Genesis - One for the Vine

YouTube - Genesis - All in a Mouse's Night

YouTube - Genesis - Eleventh Earl of Mar

There are more songs, but I stuck with WIND AND WUTHERING.......a bit better than TRICK OF THE TAIL.....WAW was my first GENESIS album and I just went nuts over their music when I first heard them in college. .

Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 PM

251 posts, read 767,808 times
i'm resurrecting this thread because of the awesome-ness that is (or was since phil collins retired from the business) genesis.

i really like the fact that both peter gabriel and phil collins are fantastic singers that came from the band that i can't really choose a favorite. at the moment, i only have the phil collins era of genesis, but when i get more money i will definitely get the rest of them (and there are like so many albums and EPs).

i think the reason why they became more pop in their later albums was probably because of their growing popularity in the U.S. not that it's a bad thing, but it was different from those who followed them since the beginning.

i've been jammin' this song ... good song.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ---- Genesis

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway -- Genesis - YouTube

Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
(Once Gabriel left the band I have a hard time thinking of them as Genesis.)

One of the prettiest songs Genesis ever did.

Genesis - Anyway - YouTube

One of the most interesting, kind of creepy, kind of erotic, and one of the most unique:

Genesis - The Lamia - YouTube

The classic Genesis crescendo is evident in this song:

Genesis - Can-Utility and the Coastliners - YouTube

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
PS. Steve Hackett has an album called Genesis Revisited with a lot of old classics performed with alternative instruments

STEVE HACKETT Genesis Revisited music reviews and MP3

Features almost a Who's Who of progressive rock:

Steve Hackett / vocals, guitars, percussion, harmonica, orchestration
- John Wetton / vocals, bass
- Bill Bruford / drums
- Tony Levin / bass
- Chester Thompson / drums
- Ian McDonald / saxophone, flute
- Paul Carrack / vocals
- Colin Blunstone / vocals
- Alphonso Johnson / bass
- John Hackett / flute
- Pino Palladino / bass
- Julian Colbeck / keyboards
- Aron Friedman / keyboards, orchestration, programming
- Hugo Degenhardt / drums
- Nick Magnus / keyboards, programming
- Will Bates / saxophone
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Sanchez / Montoya Chorale
- Roger King / keyboards, vibraphone, orchestration, programming
- Jerry Peal / keyboards, programming
- Ben Fenner / keyboards, orchestration, programming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music