Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

We have seen pop / hip-hop music become more melodic over the past few years, which I suspect reflects a '90s eurodance influence, with some songs even borrowing a eurodance-like beat. Just look at Lady Gaga "Pokerface", most hit songs by Rihanna, and Kei$ha's new single; rap songs that have adopted eurodance melodies include T.I.'s "Live Your Life", Flo Rida's "Sugar", and Wiz Khalifa's "Say Yeah". This is in contrast to the tracks that dominated the charts before early 2006, which were comparatively atonal. I expect this trend to continue through the early 2010's, and maybe onwards.

Also, decade nostalgia works in 20-year cycles. Think of the bell-bottom jeans of 1990's or the 80's craze which seemed to peak in 2006. Obviously, two decades before the 2010's were the 1990's. I expect a fair amount of 1990's influence in the music of the 2010's.

Also, the way music is distributed underwent enormous changes in the late 1990's and 2000's, probably the largest since the gramophone was invented. Album sales peaked in the late 90's; but P2P filesharing, esp. via Napster, took a sizable chunk out of music sales. In the mid-2000s we saw legal avenues by which to buy and obtain music (first iTunes, later AmazonMP3, eMusic, etc. but iTunes is still the dominant player). The $0.99 charged for a song, I'm sure, deters people from buying entire albums. We also saw the rise of social networking sites - MySpace Music, which allows any garage band to reach a global audience (MySpace Music has produced at least one chart-topping group, Owl city, and probably others as well), as well as YouTube. This will surely have an impact on the music of the next decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:27 AM

319 posts, read 634,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Good point about true black music. There's a few now like Alexis P. Suter. She is black and everybody else in the band is white, but it is strong gospel-soul tinged stuff. WDIY has given the band a big lift by playing their music and having them play here locally a few times. Thanks to WDIY the hipsters in this area are turned onto the Alexis P. Suter band.
She's great. I'm a big Levon Helm fan and her band has played with his band on quite a few occassions (they're playing NYE together actually). Hipsters are digging this huh? Interesting.

As far as changes in music, we're going to continue to see the death of non talk terrestrial radio. We're all ready seeing it with the conglomerates buying every station in site and putting on identical playlists and it will just keep going because it's cheap as hell to produce. On the radio you're going to see less and less locally produced content (outside of maybe a morning show) and more and more syndicated programming. Freeform and college radio will be the last bastions of musical diversity, but with money getting tighter and tighter, you'll see those stations whither too. It's a shame because freeform and independant radio stations have always really been a great cornerstone for local art scenes (musical and otherwise).

As far as music packaging goes, we're going to continue to see the return to the strength of the single format vs the full album. This is all ready happening due to the "buy by the track" format of Itunes etc., but it'll only get bigger as we move. Which, is sort of a fun phenomonon to watch, because it's basically the way it was back in the 50's and early 60's when the 45 RPM single was key and after a band had a three or four 45s that sold well, they'd just compile them all onto an LP, add in three our four filler tracks, and rush out the full length. Having said that, I'm an unabashed proponent of the vinyl record. I have been since I was a kid. I like the artwork, I like reading the liner notes, I like the lyric inserts, I like seeing what musicians played what instruments, where it was recorded etc. I'm just a music geek in the strongest sense of the word when it comes to that. I'm not alone, although my generation, us born in the late 70s, may be the last stronghold of vinyl as the preferred format. I know that vinyl has made a comeback in the last couple years, but I don't think it'll sustain and part of me can't wait so I can start picking off stuff that people are reselling when they lose interest in the format. So...what's the newest format that music will come in? I don't know. Blu Ray has some possibilities I think. Will we be able to download full albums to our Blu Ray players with great sound, all the artwork etc. and have the option to either leave it on the player (to listen to on your home theater system) and burn it on to a disc or an Ipod? That might be something I could get behind. It's interesting times. That is for sure.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I like Poker Face, a masterful combination of production and arrangement
Hey I don't like her music, but I can't deny that every single one of her songs has at least one hook that makes me think "damn, wish I would have thought of that". I don't like her, but she's good at what she does and also probably good for what's left of top 40 music. There's much, much worse out there.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
I agree with you 100% desertsun! I would love to see old style 70's and 80's music come back to life with clean music. No cussing, constant talk of sex and drugs which is just ruining all the young people today. I would love to see the old days come back to life, but with the current way music is going, I have a bad feeling it is just going to get worse. It's a real shame.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
I agree with you 100% desertsun! I would love to see old style 70's and 80's music come back to life with clean music. No cussing, constant talk of sex and drugs which is just ruining all the young people today. I would love to see the old days come back to life, but with the current way music is going, I have a bad feeling it is just going to get worse. It's a real shame.
Are you kidding me??? The 70's and 80's were the glory days of "penis rock." Aerosmith, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Rolling Stones, Whitesnake... Right across the board. All those bands did was write songs about getting laid and womanizing.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
Maybe it's just me but this decade was a whole lot better than Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Boyz 2 Men ???, bubble gum Britney, etc.

There was still of course trash like 50 cent but overall, production has gone to another level. Songs like Toxic, Poker Face, Use Somebody, go above the simple melodies and instrumentals of the aforementioned crap.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-...ks-of-2009/10/

Yay 1901 on top, Blink 182 is cool but I like the fuller sound here.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Maybe it's just me but this decade was a whole lot better than Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Boyz 2 Men ???, bubble gum Britney, etc.

There was still of course trash like 50 cent but overall, production has gone to another level. Songs like Toxic, Poker Face, Use Somebody, go above the simple melodies and instrumentals of the aforementioned crap.

Pitchfork: Staff Lists: The Top 100 Tracks of 2009

Yay 1901 on top, Blink 182 is cool but I like the fuller sound here.
Actually the teen pop era was like 1997-2002. split between the 90s and 00s.

and that was only a part of music back then. aside from indie, which most people haven't even heard of, and is generally overrated hipster crap anyways, 2000s music was a complete joke almost.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM

And how can you talk about the 2010s being like the '90s, when the '00s was the 90s Part 2?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
I work with alot of young people and many of them seem to have a penchant for what they call "old school" stuff, like cars and TV shows and movies--and also music. I'm in my late '40's, so their old school music is pretty much the stuff I cut my teeth on. Anyway, because of this trend I see with the young adults, and also because our economy is in the tank--and that fact always seems to make people yearn for the "good old days"--I'm guessing that the coming decade might see a big increase in bands and artists replicating the '60's and '70's psychadelic, and easy listening stuff. kind of like Phish did in the early '90's.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 AM

I hope Rap isn't the hot thing still in this decade, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be wrong. It's probably going to define the whole first half of this century. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music