Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,914 times

Advertisements

Ten years ago, she was nothing more than a teen idol with very little talent. She, along with ‘NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys, dominated the pop music charts in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Everyone feverishly hated on her, and savagely poked fun at her. And everyone theorized that she would disappear like all manufactured, teen-pop acts.

Well- She didn’t.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/HBK-79/britney20rolling20stone.jpg (broken link)

Last year was a banner year for ‘The Princess of Pop’. She went on an incredibly successful world tour that was critically acclaimed and highly attended. It was probably her biggest tour to date. Hell, even my two 35-year-old co-workers went to see her live at the AAC in Dallas.

Britney seems to have won and/or re-gained the respect from the mass audience. Everyone last year was like: “Britney’s back and she’s straightened herself out”.

On top of that- She still lip-syncs.

How do you feel about Britney’s renewed popularity?
Has your view of Britney changed in the wake of the revitalization of her music career?
Have you developed deep inside you a newfound R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Britney?

When you think of Britney’s recent success story- Would you say “Good for her”? Why or why not?

By the way- Let’s avoid such clichéd assertions like “The music industry sucks”. I’m trying to find some fresher arguments regarding Britney’s mark on popular music.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM

125 posts, read 251,290 times
My take: Britney wisely reinvented herself to match the changing music industry. Teen pop is no longer 'in' and all of her female tween fans from 1999/2000 have grown into their late-teens, early-20s (the MTV young adult crowd who frequent dance clubs). One of the popular trends in music right now with that demographic is the electropop Lady Gaga/Ke$ha sound and Britney's album Circus clearly utilizes it.

And of course, the Britney trainwreck from a few years ago helps. She was still fresh in people's minds with the media constantly covering her many breakdowns/marriages over the years. It was quite an interesting story how she went from an All-American girl-next-door to an absolute train wreck with her trashy husband Kevin Federline.

Personally, I respect what she has gone through over the years and her struggle to reinvent herself in the spotlight. Every move was criticized. Her formula has succeeded to a certain extent: catchy music + right timing + familiar persona = good comeback. Would I consistently listen to her music? No way. But that's just me. I am not a fan of Britney Spears' music. To each their own.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
I expect Brittany will be on the short list for a number of grammy's a year from tonight.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:14 AM

503 posts, read 710,156 times
she is electric auto tune crap now.like gag bag trasha.her real voice is proally destroyed from alcohol.my sister said her performances are good though.honoestly though i rather go see a girl who could sing well and play an instrument than all the glitz and glam.i actually think the best thing she ever made was toxic.it was to me one of the best pop songs of her career and of the 2000's/she should go back to that sound.

well let me answer your questions more directly

1)she is popular because she is doing what's trendy
2)her career was at it's peak around 2003-2004 to me.than she crashed.i don't like her new music it's not her to me.
3) i dont respect artist who don't play instruments and then don't even use their natural voice.
4)for her yes.for people no.she makes it ok for people to think that music is about sex appeal and all this glitzy sh*t.she has no substance to her.as do gag bag or kesha.

basically she went from manufactured teen pop act to manufactured auto tune slave.she is no aretha franklin or janis joplin.she has lil talent to me.i wish amywinehouse had stuck around....she had talent.in fact there are so many more talented brit pop singer than american singers.adele,amy winehouse,joss stone........they tower over brit and her fellow auto tune slaves in talent.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
I still don't like her music,but there are so much hatred for her and people really want her to fail and that has made me cheer for her.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM

237 posts, read 870,750 times
what's going on in the music industry today is the DESTRUCTION OF MUSIC. it's no surprise Britney is making it in that kind of an industy. this generation is so foolish she could lip sing a song and someone would say they are reinventing music, acting brilliantly her critics just can't comprehend it. to her credit though she isn't manipulating people the way gaga is, fooling society into accepting a twisted substitute for music by appealing to the worst in people, she's just doing what she thinks the music industry will support.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM

503 posts, read 710,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
what's going on in the music industry today is the DESTRUCTION OF MUSIC. it's no surprise Britney is making it in that kind of an industy. this generation is so foolish she could lip sing a song and someone would say they are reinventing music, acting brilliantly her critics just can't comprehend it. to her credit though she isn't manipulating people the way gaga is, fooling society into accepting a twisted substitute for music by appealing to the worst in people, she's just doing what she thinks the music industry will support.
agreed

Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,917 times
I had no idea she had a big year. That shows you how out of touch I am with mainstream music at the ripe old age of 27.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
What's the difference then between Britney, Lady Gaga, etc. and Madonna?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM

408 posts, read 723,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I still don't like her music,but there are so much hatred for her and people really want her to fail and that has made me cheer for her.
this is exactly what I did (although her song Toxic made my feet move from some strange reason)...

I found myself looking at her getting bashed so horribly on TV and sincerely hoping she didn't off herself......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music