Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,020 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Marc Bolan & T.Rex - Main Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Who remembers Black Oak Arkansas from the 70's?
I saw them when they were not well-known at all.
Very nice guys. Always liked Jim Dandy to the Rescue.

Sabby, Marc Bolan in his own way was a genius. Loved his stuff.

This band was local, but they did hit it big for awhile--Bolin certainly did.
I saw them at Mammoth several times, before and after Tommy Bolin left. My favorite Zephyr song is "I'm Not Surprised," but I can't find it on Youtube. This one is dubbed, but it sure brings back memories. Weird to realize that I was actually at one of the concerts filmed; I stood at stage left where Tommy is. Candy and Tommy are gone now.

YouTube - ZEPHYR - Texas/Colorado Live footage

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I always liked the 70's classic rock band ''Moxy'' with Mike Reno (Loverboy) as the lead singer.

YouTube - Loverboy / Mike Reno - MOXY "High School Queen" 1978

Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Spirit was another great band that somehow didn't quite make it to the big time, I wish I knew why. Their first 4 albums are classics! Headed by Ed Cassidy and Randy California, they had a career that went for a couple decades that recorded on major labels. Sadly, Randy passed away a few years back from a tragic drowning accident. I recommend everything they did on CBS/Epic-Ode label, particularly The Family That Plays Together, from 1969! Good stuff!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Wow, I thought I was going to list a relatively unknown one because I don't know anyone but my brother who listened to the Chambers Brothers (who were incredible live, btw) but I haven't heard of several listed. Good thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxpcZ...eature=related

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM

503 posts, read 710,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Speaking of the Vanilla Fudge, Here is a story I think you people would like.

By late 1968, the Vanilla Fudge had three lp's out, with Renaiisance the newest release. They toured on that lp, saw them in Denver at the Denver Colisseum after Christmas that year. The warm up band was Spirit, who I'll get into on a future post on this thread. They had released their second lp, and "I've Got A Line On You' was scooting up the charts. A third act was added by Barry Fey, Denver's long time concert promoter. This band had been added at the last minute, and had only been a band for a very short time, but soon after would hit the jackpot regarding top drawer rock bands of the 60's/70's. I was not aware of it at the time, but found out later that was their first American concert.

The group? Led Zeppelin.

Back to the Fudge. By late 1969 they were running out of gas but released some interesting stuff while they were together. I recommend their first lp and also Renaiisance. Renaiisance has some added tracks on CD and has a great version of Donovan's "Season Of The Witch". I recommend them!

vanilla fudge seems to have really big following now though.i always here people talking about them.the same with t rex.i have an uncle and he is like in love with vanilla fudge.he is always talking about them.i think he seen them live a couple of times.idk my uncle is a lil creepy,we don't talk that much lol.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Well, The Buckinghams aren't so much a largely forgotten band, but their psychedelic side certainly seems that way. They were a pretty hot pop group for a couple of years in the mid 60s, but when I found the album Portraits some 8 years after its release, it was (sometimes) painfully obvious that they were striving to sound like the Beatles, but they were Americans and always seemed to return to what was going on over here. Parts of this song sound like a remix of Sgt. Pepper, but it's also a bit like the Love American Style theme music. Anyway...

YouTube - The Buckinghams-Just Because I've Fallen Down/Any Place In Here/Any Place In Here-Reprise

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Good choice by Square Peg!

They only lasted a couple years, but they had a good run of chart hits; Kind Of A Drag, Don't You Care, Mercy Mercy, Mercy, Hey Baby (They're Playing Our Song), Susan, Back In Love Again. One of my favorite songs of theirs is called Foreign Policy, a hauntingly beautiful song noting the problems of society of that time, the late 60's. Included is a little spoken word from one of John F. Kennedy's commencement speeches; "And is not peace in the final analysis basically a matter of human rights? To be able to live out your lives without fear of devastation?"

Those couple sentences were from President Kennedy's commencement address to American University graduating class, delivered on June 10, 1963. More than four decades later and that still rings true.

Co-founders of the group Dennis Tufano and Carl Giammarese later released a couple duet lp's in the early 70's that I felt were fairly good.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Wow, I thought I was going to list a relatively unknown one because I don't know anyone but my brother who listened to the Chambers Brothers (who were incredible live, btw) but I haven't heard of several listed. Good thread!

YouTube - Time Has Come Today Chambers Brothers

They're still good. The Chambers Brothers performed at our local blues festivals earlier in the decade and they were terrific. "Time Has Come Today" always brings back memories. And it still sounds great.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
I remember seeing them totally by accident. Went out to see Jackson Browne circa '73 at Salisbury Beach in Massachusetts and had the date wrong. The Chamber Brothers were in town that night and we said what the heck and went on in. Crummy venue. Great band. Fond memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music