Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,823 times

Advertisements

Jim Morrison (singer of the Doors) had a father who was an Admiral in the U.S. Navy. Jim broke off contact with his father around 1965 or 1966 before Jim's untimely death in 1971.

In 1969, Jim was accused on indecent exposure at a Miami, Fl concert. The felony charge was quite serious and the Flordia Corrections department wrote a letter to Admiral George Morrison to inquire about Jim's character.

The full letter is listed below.....the letter reveals that his father was a pretty decent fellow. Despite the clear differences between them...his father was trying to understand his rebel rock singer son.

Admiral Morrison's letter to the Fla. Dept of Corrections: (dated October 2, 1970)

Thank you for your letter of September 30. I appreciate this
opportunity to comment on my son Jim.

I saw him last about 5 years ago during his senior year at UCLA. He
was successfully completing his fourth year of college. As in all his
academic work through grade school, high school, and college, he was
an excellent student. While he had always been an intellectual rebel,
he had always obeyed and respected authority.

In 1965 I began a two-year assignment in England. Although I invited
him to join us in London after graduating, he declined to start his
own career. Since that time he has been completely independent of me
financially and in every other way. We have very little contact with
him since that time due partly to the physical separation and partly
because of some criticism from me.

While in London, I was called by an old friend in California who had
been approached by Jim for a loan to finance his first record.
Concerned by his appearance, particularly his long hair, the friend
called me. I, in turn, wrote Jim a letter severely criticizing his
behavior and strongly advised him to give up any idea of singing or
any connection with a music group because of what I considered to be a
complete lack of talent in this direction. His reluctance to
communicate with me again is to me quite understandable.

Since returning to the United States I have on several occasions made
an effort to contact him. One time I was successful in talking with
him by telephone. Our conversation was quite pleasant and I
congratulated him on his first gold album, but nothing of consequence
was discussed. We have had no direct contact since that time.
However, while we all lived in California in 1969, Jim's younger
brother and sister visited with him frequently and got along famously
as they always did during their childhood days at home.

Also an old friend of ours had dinner with Jim in LA several months
ago and reported to us that he was the 'same ol' Jim'. I have
followed his career with a mixture of amazement and in the case of
Miami, great concern and sorrow.

While I obviously am not a judge of modern music, I view his success
with pride. Based on my knowledge of Jim through his twenty first
year, I firmly believe that his performance in Miami was a grave
mistake and not in character.

I will always follow his progress with the greatest of interest and
concern and stand ready to assist him in any way, should he ask.

Thank you again for this opportunity to affirm my conviction that Jim
is fundamentally a respectable citizen.

Very truly yours,
G.S.Morrison, Rear Admiral USN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Ahh I missed this post from a couple days ago. Just last night was a 2 hour special documentary on Jim Morrison and The Doors. It came on late and I struggled to stay awake well into my sleep time. They went into just this subject about Jim's father. It was fascinating.

Well now I think I will go rent that great 1991 Oliver Stone movie on The Doors. I remember going to the premier of this movie. How the hell did 19 years pass by?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,923,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ahh I missed this post from a couple days ago. Just last night was a 2 hour special documentary on Jim Morrison and The Doors. It came on late and I struggled to stay awake well into my sleep time. They went into just this subject about Jim's father. It was fascinating.

Well now I think I will go rent that great 1991 Oliver Stone movie on The Doors. I remember going to the premier of this movie. How the hell did 19 years pass by?
Wish I knew that was on last night. Do you know if it was a repeat, or a new show? I saw a good show on them a year, or so, ago. I wonder if it's the same one.

That was a great movie! When I heard Val Kilmer had been cast, I was surprised. And, I like Val Kilmer. After I saw the movie, I decided Val Kilmer might have actually channeled Jim Morrison.

Saucy

Old 10-16-2010, 05:54 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
...the letter reveals that his father was a pretty decent fellow. Despite the clear differences between them...his father was trying to understand his rebel rock singer son.
I didn't realize that his dad was a veteran of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Obviously the man had been through a lot in his life. How many fathers and sons fought over long hair, rebellious ways, perceived disrespect of authority, etc, in the late 1960's? Maybe they still do now but not as vehemently. The whole thing is so sad. I found this link reviewing a book about Morrison that included interviews with his surviving family members, which I never knew about.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Jim Morrison's father speaks out

Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
I've seen the movie with Val Kilmer and while its enjoyable I don't think it provided any in depth insights into why he ended up the way he did other than he seemed a bit of an explorer (mentally) who was taken by the whole 60s thing then drugs and the pressures of celebrity took its toll. At least that's what I got out of it.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:16 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've seen the movie with Val Kilmer and while its enjoyable I don't think it provided any in depth insights into why he ended up the way he did other than he seemed a bit of an explorer (mentally) who was taken by the whole 60s thing then drugs and the pressures of celebrity took its toll. At least that's what I got out of it.

The documentaries on the second disk in the 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition are interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music