Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM

12 posts, read 18,949 times

Advertisements

Hi. I see many people are considering a relocation to the area. My sisters and niece have already made the move to SC. One lives in Myrtle Beach the other in Mt. Pleasant. They are encouraging me to do the same.

I am a 45 year old gay guy in a stable relationship that is living in NY but looking to purchase a vacation condo in the SC area that could eventually be where we retire in the future. I am fairly conservative but still gay (no rainbow flags, etc.) I was hoping to get some honest feedback about places to look. I know its the south, so my sexuality could be an issue. If that may be a problem, let me know. I want to be somewhere that is progressive (non-judgemental) and safe for a gay couple. I would like somewhere that is both affordable and that meets just a few criteria.

Size: Small town feel but accessible to major city (30 minutes away or so)
Airport: Close (20-30 minutes) from a major International airport
Beach: 20-30 minutes form the beach
Hospital: 15-20 minutes from a good hospital
Cost of Living: Somewhere affordable
Housing: Somewhere affordable
Crime: On the low side

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Lucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM

34 posts, read 97,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckydogNY View Post
Hi. I see many people are considering a relocation to the area. My sisters and niece have already made the move to SC. One lives in Myrtle Beach the other in Mt. Pleasant. They are encouraging me to do the same.

I am a 45 year old gay guy in a stable relationship that is living in NY but looking to purchase a vacation condo in the SC area that could eventually be where we retire in the future. I am fairly conservative but still gay (no rainbow flags, etc.) I was hoping to get some honest feedback about places to look. I know its the south, so my sexuality could be an issue. If that may be a problem, let me know. I want to be somewhere that is progressive (non-judgemental) and safe for a gay couple. I would like somewhere that is both affordable and that meets just a few criteria.

Size: Small town feel but accessible to major city (30 minutes away or so)
Airport: Close (20-30 minutes) from a major International airport
Beach: 20-30 minutes form the beach
Hospital: 15-20 minutes from a good hospital
Cost of Living: Somewhere affordable
Housing: Somewhere affordable
Crime: On the low side

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Lucky
Hello, I think you would like Myrtle Beach a lot and Mt Pleasant is very upscale if you like that kind of thing. Some of my family lives in Mt Pleasant and there are many gay people there also who love it. High crime in Myrtle Beach and not so so much in Mt Pleasant. If you like alot of tourist attractions, MB would be the place for you. If you like kicking back and taking in some sights here and there then Mt Pleasant is probably better for you. It is a very friendly gay acceptable place. Hey, Good luck and Cheers to you and yours.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your input. I am concerned about anywhere with a high crime rate as they can also include bias crimes. So, this information is very valuable to me. Thanks again. -- Lucky

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckydogNY View Post
I am concerned about anywhere with a high crime rate as they can also include bias crimes. So, this information is very valuable to me.
Lucky the crime in Myrtle Beach is, IMO, highly exaggerated. There are many threads on the subject that you might want to take a look at. In the search box type in "crime rate". I think it will put it all in prospective for you.

Quote:
I want to be somewhere that is progressive (non-judgemental) and safe for a gay couple.
Well progressive might not be a word I use to describe the area but everyone is very polite so I really don't think you would have any problems.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM

I will do that, thank you. -- Lucky

Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
Hey Lucky! I'd stick closer to Charleston/Mt. Pleasant/Summerville in your search. Any way you cut it you are not going to have a big city experience here. But Charlotte and Atlanta are within striking distance but with SouthWest airlines coming to Charleston you will be able to get your NYC fix with a quick (and affordable!) flight. Take a trip down to the area, start in Charleston/Mt. Pleasant and visit your family in MB to get a feel for the areas.

As for crime and safety down here, as long as you bring your street smarts from NYC with you, you'll be fine. Most crime here is a crime of opportunity so, just like NYC, stay out of the areas where trouble is and it usually won't find you. I have several gay, male friends who are older and conservative and they have enjoyed wonderful lives in SC. Everyone is not accepting of different lifestyles down here but I don't think that folks are singled out for harrassment. But there are some gay members of the forum here who may chime in with better information......

It's beautiful here. Different than what you are used to be uniquely wonderful. Come and help to make it an even more wonderful place. Good luck to you!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Tina:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice post. I really appreciate your input and advice. I am coming down in July and spending time with family both in Myrtle Beach and Mt. Pleasant so I will get a better idea of the "culture." of both communities. Again, thank you for your kind words. -- Lucky

Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,852 times
There is no culture in MB. Just tourists.

As Harry and Tina said, Charleston/Mt. Pleasant/Summerville would probably be a far superior choice. There is a major airport, nice beaches (great little island called Isle of Palms), excellent hospitals, and all kinds of culture. We just came home from there tonight after visiting my dad in Roper Hospital. I was very impressed w/them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area