Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,272 times

Advertisements

What a great group this is! Thank you all for your responses; they have given me some good leads.

Blue herons, I appreciated your comments. No, I cannot sublet my crumbling digs in NYC; it one of few remaining rent controlled apartments in Manhattan and subletting is illegal and grounds for the landlord to start eviction proceedings. He would be joyous to get me out of here as with a few renovations, he could then rent out my place for triple the rent I am currently paying as once I move out, the place becomes loses its rent controlled status. And of course, the superintendent of the building would blab to the owner about someone else inhabiting my place. I live in a primo location in the West Village on Bleecker Street and Seventh Avenue, where apartments are snatched up the same day they are put on the rental market.

As for being shell-shocked at the lack of museums, theaters, ethnic restaurants, I have not partaken of those pleasures in decades as the cost of such activities and eating out is astronomical here. I am pretty much a homebody now, after having all traveled around the world around solo after I took an early retirement and I do not see the lack of said activities as a downside to Myrtle Beach at all. The one bond that will be hardest to break is with the shared New Yorker response after 9/11. It somehow brought people here closer together and though it does not really have an impact on current day to day activities, it is the spirit of togetherness that that experience forged. However, that is not enough to give me pause about moving to a more affordable, more comfortable location.

Thanks to all about the tip on Market Commons; that sounds like it might be a good place to begin looking. Summering, thanks for the 411 about Jensen's. That might be a possibility if I can find a rental. I am not in a financial position to purchase anything and don't like owning things anyway. Too much fuss and bother.

Neecewh, I appreciate your reassurance about the availability of libraries. I am not especially a Luddite but I can't get into this Kindle craze...and am an avid bibliophile. I will definitely look into the south end of Myrtle Beach. Thanks also to Vrexy for the Surfside Beach recommendation.
As far as climate goes, it has to be better than NYC, especially after the other week in which we had BOTH a hurricane and an earthquake.

I am sure if the majority of residents of MB are as helpful to newcomers as you have been, I will do just fine!
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,272 times
Yup, yup, yup, fifth floor walk-up means climbing 5 flights of stairs to get to my apartment. No elevator, no escalator, no nuthin. Back in 1899 when the building was constructed, there were no such luxuries.

Burr, muggy is okay. I have been spending 6 months of every year for last 10 years on a small island off the coast of Mexico in a small room I rent for $200 a month. Talk about primitive...no air-conditioning so one just gets used to sweating a lot. No big deal.

But with all the narco-related stuff going on in Mexico, I am more than ready to trade that in for a chillier Myrtle Beach winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area