Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 AM

69 posts, read 217,889 times

Advertisements

There is a chance we might have to move to MB sometime within the coming year. We currently live in the 'burbs of Atlanta. Personally, I am not much of a beach person, so that's a big concern of mine. We have a 15 year old daughter and I'm wondering what the transition might be for her. What are the schools like there? She's currently attending one of the top high schools in GA. I'm wondering what it's like there in the summertime? I've been there once briefly and all I recall is the horrible traffic. What are the best places to live in and around Myrtle Beach? Would love to know your honest opinions on whether or not it's a good place to live and raise a family. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM

89 posts, read 251,938 times
Really..Oh dear....you may have to move here? I can't get into MB alot on here...if you are used to Atlanta, it is going to be a big adjustment for you....the schools I am sure do not compare....

I get so grumpy in the summertime..LOL...the population pretty much triples from May through October...we live in the north part of the Grand Strand and it just gets more crowded each year since I learned that Myrtle Beach/NMB does ALOT of television promoting in and around Ohio, WV and PA..and it is a cheap vacation...so pretty much you build it and they will come is the motto here....

Myrtle Beach is a resort and if you have never lived in a resort area, you can pretty much count on everything in your life being different from Atlanta Metro....I just visited Atlanta in October....never been there before...and I have lived and visited many cities....I loved it....especially the diversity and shopping......

It all really depends what you are moving here for...if it is a professional position, you may not find the area quite as hopeless....really does depend on financial situation...job situation....etc...but I can tell you that your daughter will have culture shock as far as the education is concerned...tell us a bit more and maybe I can give you more insight.....Have a nice day!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM

373 posts, read 711,006 times
Prepare to see plenty of motorcycle "rallys" that last for weeks at a time several times a year.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,144 times
We live over in the Carolina Forest section of Myrtle Beach about a 10 minute drive to the beach. I don't know why not being a beach person is a concern, just don't go to the beach - we actually don't even go that much to the beach.

I don't like the schools at all, my son is in Middle School and the schools where we live are suppose to be better then some areas. I like the schools in NJ more and there is a difference.

Traffic doesn't bother me but I guess because I came from Northern NJ where traffic is horrible, so this to me isn't traffic in the summer.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Are you saying the overall "quality" of education in the MB area is worse than most areas? I'd like more information, please. My husband has told me that Conway, SC is a good place to live if we end up moving. He's originally from Chapin, SC. What is it really like there? I just don't want to go into this not knowing fully what to expect. Can you ever really get away from all the tourists? I'm much more into a slower pace kind of life.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,153 times
Doxie64, the opinions you gather in this forum will vary depending on each person's satisfaction with their life in MB. We moved here nearly 2 years ago from CT and just love it. Traffic can be a headache but we quickly learned ways to avoid the tourist traffic...lots of back roads and living in an area that allows us to avoid the major roads. For example, Carolina Forest is known for traffic issues and one end exits onto 501...THE major tourist road into MB. So we chose not to live there to avoid the traffic. There are definitely areas of the Grand Strand that one can live that allow one to avoid major traffic.

We do not have kids in school, but we've met people who do who love the schools and others that hate the schools (and their kids are in the same building!!). But, we had the same situation in CT where our town was known for its excellent schools and we were very satisfied but had friends who were not. I would suggest that you go to this site and see if there's a way to compare Horry County schools to your school in Atlanta: State Report Cards - 2010 - HorryCountySchools (http://www.horrycountyschools.net/cms/One.aspx?portalId=743462&pageId=12073890 - broken link) We have a friend who works at Carolina Forest High School and she said the biggest difference she sees compared to the schools in Syracuse (where she's originally from) is that there is a higher % of students who do not intend to go to college. But she believes the college prep courses are on par with NY.

My daughter lives in Atlanta so we're somewhat familiar with the city. You'll find a significant difference between MB and what you're used to....big city vs smaller town. MB has a lot to offer but it's nowhere near Atlanta in size/scope of entertainment, museums, etc. It also is like one loooooong strip mall....no real downtown and shopping spread out mostly into strip malls or indoor malls (2).

Finally, we looked at Conway when we moved here and liked what we saw but wanted to be closer to the beach and ended up in Forestbrook. Conway has a small, quaint downtown area and is quite nice. There are less desirable areas in Conway so you have to be careful when looking for housing. It's a good town for a slower pace of life.

Overall, as I said, we're very happy with our life here. We can go to the beach when we want (we go to the state park beach as it's less crowded), have a variety of entertainment available, reasonable shopping options (and what we can't find, we buy online), and can sit on our back porch and enjoy the sun....much less stress than in CT.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,144 times
The tourist are not in Carolina Forest, there will be more traffic going to certain areas but you start to learn back ways. Carolina Forest is on the other side of the waterway. Don't know much about Conway.

School is just very different here, I feel like it isn't as well rounded as his old school in NJ - In his old elementary school, they took a language, talked about current events for history, had more specials, learned the computer, had band. I guess I never realized how different schools could be.

I have a friend that is a teacher here now and she was a teacher in NJ, and she said it is very different. The teachers here can not deviate from what they have to teach. Especially in elementary school, they don't make it fun, whereas his old school they would learn and still have fun.

Is he doing well in school - yes very
Do I think he would get a better education in NJ - Yes

But that's how I feel, I am sure there are others that feel different.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
School is just very different here, I feel like it isn't as well rounded as his old school in NJ - In his old elementary school, they took a language, talked about current events for history, had more specials, learned the computer, had band. I guess I never realized how different schools could be.

I have a friend that is a teacher here now and she was a teacher in NJ, and she said it is very different. The teachers here can not deviate from what they have to teach. Especially in elementary school, they don't make it fun, whereas his old school they would learn and still have fun.
South Carolina does have a great school that all can attend no matter where they live. South Carolina Connection Academy is an online public school and it is amazing. It isn't for everyone, but it has been great for my middle child. My son is in first grade but has been able to move ahead at his pace without changing his grade level. He also has some of the things available that you mentioned. He has a terrific computer course and there are many language electives that all children who keep up with their grades can take (including: French, Spanish, sign language and they were even offering Chinese -not sure if they still are). This school does deviate from what is normally taught, in fact it is encouraged. My son was recently offered the opportunity to participate in an independent study class. He was able to choose a subject he was interested in, choose how he would research it (with wonderful guidance from his teacher) as well as choose how he would like to present what he learned to her. Talk about fun! His project including building a volcano on the beach! They also have a WebQuest elective where student volunteer in the Frog Watch USA project where they help scientist monitor the frog and toad population. I could go on and on. They don't just deviate they step and think WAY outside the box. If only we could get the brick and mortar to emulate them. Like I said, it isn't for everyone, but there are options.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,799 times
Traffic is a matter of opinion. If you're coming from a place where there's not much traffic, you will probably feel there is a lot of traffic here. If you are coming from a metro area, it's not bad at all. Of course the summer is worse but if I were to complain about anything here, it wouldn't be the traffic.

I don't have children but being in real estate it's the #1 question of parents when moving here. I can't say schools are bad or good but you said your daughter is attending one of the top schools in GA. Just from what I've heard, there are no "top" schools around here but this is info. you can find on the internet. Facts, not opinions. Here is one site that might be helpful but doing a few searches you can probably find out more. Profiles of USA Public Schools - Public School Review I've always heard the better schools are Carolina Forest and St James but again, I don't have first hand experience with either. GJM had said doesn't compare to NJ schools but NJ has some of the best in the country, hence part of the reason the taxes are so high there. I agree with her being from NJ but I just don't think you will find schools here on that level. Pros and cons everywhere you go. Another thing I would suggest is call some of the schools here, ask questions. I'm sure there are specific things you want to know, so if it were me I would call directly and ask and if you can visit them, do that too.

You asked about the best places to live, I'm sorry and no offense to anyone but I would not say Conway. I live in Conway and if I could do it over I would not be here. Maybe less traffic but also not much around. I know it's sound funny but I can't even get a pizza delivered and aside from Walmart and a few other stores, there's really no place to shop. Limited on restaurants, activities etc...Being you have kids or one child, I would say go to Carolina Forest, Market Comon area, Surfside or even the north end of Murrells Inlet. There are also great parts of North Myrtle Beach, yes traffic but again it's what you are used to. Good luck on your decision.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:38 AM

I appreciate all of the great information, everyone! We should know more about whether we'll have to make a move or not after Tues. No offense to any of you, but I really hope we can stay put. Rapture, I'm just curious, how is the housing market in the areas you mentioned? We had our house on the market for 18 LONG months back in the summer because we thought we were getting transferred to Alabama. We didn't get one offer that entire time and we reduced our asking price by $40 K and added two buyer bonuses, but to no avail. Are there a lot of houses in those areas with swimming pools? What about new construction? Neecewh...not sure how I'd feel about an online school for my daughter. She's a freshman in high school and I think it would be a huge transition for her. Some of your asked about her current school. Well, even though it's one of the top in the state of GA., it's also the biggest. At last count, there were close to 3,000 students enrolled. Problem with a school that size is that often times kids are very hard to manage. In fact, about once a week, she tells me about a fight that broke out in the lunch room, so it definitely isn't without it's flaws. Sometimes, I would welcome her attending a smaller school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area