Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM

31 posts, read 57,493 times

Advertisements

JMC-- We have a 7 year old and have had a good experience with NMB school district so far. We are in Little River and love the area. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM

44 posts, read 127,823 times
Thank you so much! Is North Myrtle beach the name of the school district? I went to Little River once and it looked like a really nice, quiet, small town. Ate the best fried chicken and collard greens I've ever had at some little place (forget the name). Do you find Little River to be a family friendly town? Lots of young families with children? There are so many surrounding towns in MB, and all of the researching is overwhelming. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM

31 posts, read 57,493 times
LR tends toward an older crowd.... a lot of retirees. Having said that, there is a bunch of new construction and younger families ARE moving into the area. We love that it is quiet. It is close enough to NMB and MB that when you want to do the tourist thing you can- but it is not on top of you all the time. NMB district is part of horry county schools. I would suggest that maybe you rent for at least a year before you buy anything. We rented for 2 years in 2 different areas before we bought in LR. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to give you what info I can!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 6,917 times
We are considering very seriously moving to the MB area, preferably Socastee....My parents are moving back to Murrells Inlet and just bought their house. My daughter and her family are too seriously considering moving to the MB area, more towards the Carolina Forest area--Forestbrook School system seems awsome. Her husband is a Controller by trade so hopefully there are jobs for him. My husband is a building maintenance supervisor right now at a jail complex and hopes to find building maintenance work in the MB area. We are from Unity, NH and are sick of the snow, taxes, and lack of ocean.....Any other 50 somethings taken the plunge and is it worth it????? Love MB as we have been there 8 times, recently in April in Garden City right on the beach with a house rental. Never wanted to leave.....

Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,681,229 times
Yes, it is worth it. You might try Glenmere or Lake Park Plantation in Socastee but it goes under Myrtle Beach due to mail posting ( although mail is picked up at Socastee Station)
We were sick of the snow and taxes too...we also wanted the ocean. I have seen many northern people move this way for the same reasons.
The one thing you might miss is family but making plans to head that way and for them to plan coming this way too, really helps.
You will not lack for things to do, this is a wonderful area to keep busy.
If you want to live in this area with other 50+ people you might try Woodlake Village off of 17 bypass, or also Spring Forest off of 17 bypass. They are stick built homes some on lagoons, both in great locations. I had two people on here each buy in one of those places after sending them that way. ( I need to be a realtor, I'm not..lol)
The larger lots are in Woodlake. Both have pools and Woodlake is near the golf course. I'd say Spring Forest is the most quiet as it is nestled in, in a great location.
Another nice community we loved is The Gates , not far from the beach but also having its own pool and child friendly neighborhood. ( not a 55+)
We came for 10 winters before we moved her permanently. All the facts and figures added up that this was the location
to head to.
I'm so glad to hear your family will mostly be nearby you. It seems you'll have everything you desire here. Yes, its worth it...

Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I have not heard of the subdivisions so thanks. I loved Osprey Cove and Forestbrook Reserve as did my daughter and family. Socastee reminds me of NH so it will make the transition a little better. Should be back down in Oct/Nov to help my parents move to their place. Will take the time to check out those areas you mentioned. We have a log home on 10 acres to sell and hopefully it will be on the market in August....So excited!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM

Anyone in the Carolina Forest area willing to share about schools, neighborhoods, community involvement, etc? My daughter's family that include an 8 yo, 4 yo, and 18 month old are seriously considering moving to the area from NH. She has a very close-knit bunch of parents involved in school activities, etc. and wondered if she would find the same atmosphere in SC. NH people (in our area anyway) can be standoffish and to themselves so looking for a much friendlier atmosphere. What is a good neighborhood in Carolina Forest that has reasonable homes (100-150 price range). Tired of paying big property taxes in NH for nothing in return.....ready to move!!!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 104,449 times
JMC4,
Our mailing address is Myrtle Beach, but I consider it more like Surfside Beach. The only reason that isn't our mailing address is because we are not east of 17 bypass (we are right on it). We are about 2 miles from Murrells Inlet / Garden City if that helps you any. I don't know the age of your children, but our home elementary school is Burgess, which is a red carpet school and just won the state school award. It is brand new, so everything is modern. We are very pleased with it. Here is the article on it.

Horry County’s Burgess Elementary takes state school award - Local - MyrtleBeachOnline.com

You could probably zillow.com "Waccamaw River Road, Myrtle Beach SC 29588" and see some of the houses with pictures in our neighborhood.

Carolina Forest is very popular and populated, but there is considerable traffic. It is basically one road (Carolina Forest Rd.) with many many different neighborhoods that branch off of that main road. It is also right off of HWY 501, which gets very congested from March-September (tourist season). With a variety of neighborhoods, you have all price ranges from the lower end to pretty pricey.

Honestly, I would consider renting first. It is really hard to tell unless you spend a little time here during different times of the year, especially during tourist season. Good luck!

Last edited by otis987; 07-25-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,681,229 times
You might look into Brandy Mills on 707 in Socastee. Glenmere in Socastee along with Ospry as they are in the general area of that development.
We came down and found our home in one week with doing a lot of homework online, plus knowing a lot about the area.
I knew what homes and what developments I wanted to see. Plus, I had the most helpful realtor ever.
She took me everywhere and had know a few more homes then I had even printed out.
Print out the area you want using Zillow or Realtor dot com and you can zero in on an available home.
I found The Gates to be very nice for kids but I don't know what school they attend from that location on
Homestown Rd.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 17,449 times
Hi! We are looking to move to the area as well. I'm dying to know where you finally decided to buy, and how you like it so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area